1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello Guest!

Did you know Stratics Forums hosts community-created guides, tools, UIs, mods, and other resources? You can even sell your resources!

See: Resource Manager

NEWS [UO.Com] Atlantic Rollback

Discussion in 'UHall' started by weins201, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S_S

S_S Lore Keeper

I did. I wanted to go from Sonoma to Atl using my shard shield token. When I tried, gump popped up saying first I needed to delete a char there due to my list being full, so I did. I tried transferring again and everything went fine. Then after the revert yesterday my char is not listed on either shard and the deleted char was back in the list, which I promptly deleted again. Yet my char has not returned to either shard list as of right now.
  2. The Zog historian

The Zog historian Slightly Crazed

Simple: there were not enough affected people for The Powers That Be to think restoring you and the relatively few others was justified. That's not to say you didn't suffer, but this time is unprecedented in the number of players, and the efforts will also be unprecedented to prevent cancelled accounts. If Mesanna is restoring piecemeal, she's probably combing through corrupted backups by hand. It's never been so bad. UO had reverts seemingly once a week for the first few years, but the worst was only a three-day revert in 1999. The old "Lost in UO" comic joked about the timewarps.

Back in 1999, I worked a mage up to 5 GM skills, an extremely elite character for the time. GM Eval was the most difficult to train (gains slowed the more players were using a skill), and maintaining the skills became possible only once skill locks were introduced (Nov. 1999). Well, there was a beta client offered to players, introducing effects like dark nights. It had a bug, however: it turned off my "Always stay a ghost upon death," and after a monster killed me, I clicked to stay a ghost but was nonetheless ressed with the 8% penalties to all skills. I got screwed out of months of hard training. There was no power hour, no 8x8, just repeated skill use to get back. Meditation wasn't so easy to train, since at the time it gained only when you actively used it.

If only the support team had been more helpful over the years. Other Sonoma old-timers might remember our original Harlequin, a 7x mage even before skill locks (!), who was similarly screwed as I was. He lagged out in a duel and was killed, then logged back in to find himself ressed with penalties. It was because of us, and a few other unknowns hit by this res bug, that resurrecting with penalties was eventually removed.

Well, Harl never felt the same about the game and soon quit. I received no satisfaction from the developer responsible for the client (I forget his name). He simply said they couldn't reproduce what happened, that his new programming shouldn't have turned off the ghost/res option. Duh, that's why in software development we call it a bug. "Well, we can't restore items or skills anyway." You can imagine that I begged them to look at the shard's most recent backups: why would I res such a powerful character to destroy the skills, what benefit would that give me? But I persisted on over the years because of friends I didn't want to give up playing with.
  3. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah

Anyone who doesn't understand why a server revert is necessary is a simpleton.
    Madrid likes this.
  4. HonorableAdventurer

HonorableAdventurer Journeyman

Please do as many have asked why is a server revert necessary
    The Zog historian likes this.
  5. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed

Interesting. How did the skill loss work back in the day? I did not know that existed. I know the no skill locks and walking into someone making a camp and get screwed, but not about the rez penalty. How did you avoid getting penalized?
  6. Picus of Napa

Picus of Napa Slightly Crazed

A friend of mine lost out on 200 mil due to selling an item on Napa and recieving the gold on ATL. The buyer of the item says he lost the item due to transfering it to ATL and cannot replace the money but if they fix the transfers the buyer is up and the seller is out. I hope that a situation like this is rare but it could be fairly common, thankfully my buddy is rather indifferent to it all but still....
  7. Lynk

Lynk Grand Poobah

Good luck tying your shoes. you'll need it.
    Raider Red and Picus of Napa like this.
  8. Picus of Napa

If I recall correctly it was after you died a gump would open asking you if you wished to rez now with a penelty or stay as a ghost thus finding a healer or a res from a player. Everyone made the mistake of taking the res at least once, some people took it all the way back to 0 skill trying to get thier loot back or the server logging it all during the late night server down fights at brit cem....
  9. HonorableAdventurer

And yet again the question cannot be answered as to why everyone should lose ...
    Just the same old same old it was my stuff and thats whats important here not everyone elses stuff just mine all mine !
    There have been dupes , lost items , lost chars and so forth throughout the history of UO why shall we stop at just fixing this lets cost everyone everything and fix it all ...
    Now I would work on tying my shoes but the bod sorting I started last week is almost finished so I shall finish that up and then get right on that
  10. Cetric

Cetric Crazed Zealot

Without a full revert, people who lost years worth of items in transfers during this revert, would get that back at the cost of everyone losing 12... 14 days worth of stuff.
  11. HonorableAdventurer

And what do you say to the person who tamed the perfect pet ...or the person who placed the perfect home they have wanted in their 15 years of playing ...or people who got one of a kind drop that they would most likely never see again ... That those peoples items are worth more then yours because we say so ?

There have been people who have lost years worth of stuff do to bugs and scams and whatever where is their revert ?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  12. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran

What the hell is wrong with your reading comprehension? The problem isn't that nobody is explaining the point to you. The problem is that you're too self-absorbed and flat out dense you can't understand the point. People like you really are a waste of time debating with, because you're just not intelligent enough to understand what the other side is saying.

By all means, stop trying to argue with the adults.
    Raider Red, Cetric and Madrid like this.
  13. HonorableAdventurer

And yet you just cant answer my question ...Why should everyone lose because some lost ?

Wait werent you the guy from earlier wishing harm on people in and out of game ?
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  14. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Editor & Senior Writer Staff

Ya know what I find to be most interesting and a little sad? I've been on these forums for all these years. The last year, there have been days and days with NO posts in the areas I read. Yet today, this single thread has over 500 replies.
  15. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran

Thank you for proving my point. And no, I didn't wish harm on anyone... but with your level of reading comprehension I'm sure any number of interpretations are possible.

READ CAREFULLY NOW... SOUND IT OUT... YOUR "QUESTION" HAS BEEN ANSWERED MULTIPLE TIMES, NOT THAT ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS SHOULD FEEL OBLIGATED TO ADDRESS ANY OF YOUR CONCERNS.

Wait.. wait... Read it again, son. There you go. Ooops no, no wait... read it. Read it. You can do this.
    Raider Red and Cetric like this.
  16. HonorableAdventurer

Please point out the answer you are referring to
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  17. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran

God you're thick. Cetric is the one I see most recently spelling it out for you, but there are several. And yeah, I read your flimsy response about "taming the perfect pet." It's a matter of weighing one against the other.

At this point it's a pointless argument anyways. The decision was already made, right or wrong, so carry on in blissful ignorance.
  18. Tanivar

Tanivar Babbling Loonie

Children! Children! Be civil! We can't hurt everyone else just because you got a bad ouchie today. Act grown up and maybe the nice Devs can make your ouchie not hurt so bad.
  19. HonorableAdventurer

So the answer to my question of why should everyone lose is because you feel its the right thing ... Geez I am sorry I didnt get it sooner

Sorry just doesnt fly with me that you put more value on your items and chars then my items and chars ...they are both items and chars so why should I lose my progress because you did
  20. Wow, take a couple days off carousing the forums and miss this little gem.
    Raider Red and Gameboy like this.
  21. Tanivar

Tanivar Babbling Loonie

It's been lively. Those that got hurt by an apparent system glitch are on a rampage. Only thing that seems likely to make them happy is to screw over everyone else.

500+ posts so far...
  22. Picus of Napa

No one who plays this game wants to see a revert occur but I certainly hope that the same goes that no one wants to see players lose out of thier collections or other efforts beyond the 2 week range. We can all farm more pets, go to more events for that one cool item or camp a house but kicking some one in the nuts, telling them it was a mistake whilst attempting to implant a size ten in the backside is even worse.
  23. HonorableAdventurer

And the same can be said about people replacing the items they lost
  24. Picus of Napa

Thats not true, there are people who did not get hurt yet still believe the right thing to do is back it all up. I'd rather give up the 2 weeks and see 2 people made whole than carry on and ignore them.

What would you tell your children to do? What would your mother tell you to do? Step up people and act like adults. Yes it sucks but it sucks way worse if even one person is destroyed.
    Mirt likes this.
  25. Picus of Napa

Only if these said items are able to still be had in the game. There are items that cannot be found anymore and those are the items some, like myself, are talking about. Some house that is currently IDOC and it's plot will still be IDOC and the plot will still be there, dragons spawn as do blaze dogs, stuff from shame or a EM event last week still have the same chance of dropping. Stuff from years back are old and not part of the current system.
  26. HonorableAdventurer

Give the people who claim to have lost stuff everything you have aquired in the last two weeks and heck while your at it farm for the next month and donate it to the Atlantic fund ... There now you can sacrifice as you so willingly want to
  27. Picus of Napa

Great idea, so I guess you are starting this fund? That is admirable beyond words and I commend you for your efforts at righting this wrong. Can you post your contact information so everyone can begin?
  28. HonorableAdventurer

No it is not my idea stroll over to the Atlantic forums people have already started this ... I await to see how much you donate
  29. Picus of Napa

Don't dodge the call to action, you can rant and rave all you want but here is the chance to shine. It just occured to me that you "HonarableAdventurer" have known about this thread and you call others to action yet I fail to see your signature any where on the postings. What a stand up person you are, a saviour to society and a man amongst men.
  30. Picus of Napa

Who knows....he might have tested the new back ups.
    Gospel likes this.
  31. HonorableAdventurer

Look through the post there are far more that disagree with everyone losing because some did ...
    And you are correct 2 is greater than one and there are far more people not affected by the revert as there that were so why make all suffer when we can get away with a handful
  32. HonorableAdventurer

Never did I claim I wanted to sacrifice anything as you have done ..I have lost and I suck it up and move on .... You wanted to do so I pointed you in the direction of doing ..I do believe a thx is in order
  33. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable

I think all the posts calling for a full revert is getting old. Dont you think that was on the table with 10s of other options when this occured? If they thought it was a fesable option in the begining then they would have done it.

There the UO team there the ones that have ALL the information on this and brainstormed all the options and outcomes and they chose the one that was most appropriate.

Again there the ones with ALL the information, all we have is "coruption beyond our control"

Thunderz
  34. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran

*Yawn*
  35. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Slightly Crazed

Gospel, even if I share your point - why are you always so agressive and insulting in your tone? Noticed this several times... Is this necessary? Can´t you just become a bit more polite, please?
  36. Gospel

Gospel Seasoned Veteran

That WAS me being polite heheh :)
  37. HonorableAdventurer

I too am tired I shall go lay my head on my pillow and dream sweet dreams of safe shards and angry little men who cannot destroy them ;)
  38. Madrid

Madrid Slightly Crazed

:thumbup:
  39. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Keeper

Let's do the rough math, 15 years of play time for 1 person is the equivalent of 12 days play time for around 450 people. So you're talking about wiping out the considerable man hours of many thousands of otherwise unaffected people who are bystanders just to make a few whole.

Which is the greater travesty, the accidental tragedy or the intentional one?
    The Zog historian and MedeaDF like this.
  40. Eaerendil

The whole "Total Revert"-Idea is ridiculous. There is no situation in RL where any responsible politician, entrepreneur or whatever would do something like this. It´s just the wish of a small minority that cannot accept its losses.

Let me please point out, that I always said that I feel with my Atlantic friends and that they need to be compensated generously. But - even if I repeat myself - making EVERYBODY ELSE victim of the grief of a hand full people is just the wrong way. I is wrong and it will be wrong - whatever your skillful sophisms will be. You don´t need maths, nor language comprehension - simple ethics is enough. If such thing happened on Drachenfels, I would never want other shards to be victims, too... Its just silly - nothing more, nothing less.

Can we please turn to the important question: How can the Dev´s help? How can they clean up this mess for our Atlantic friends?
  41. SunWolf

SunWolf Seasoned Veteran

If you transfered a charater to atlantic longer than the 7 days and you do not have that charater. Page a gm and wait patiently, they will ask for your charater's name and what shard they was transfered from. You still need to make room on the atlantic shard for your charater to finish the transfer after the team finds and pulls them out of limbo. Hearing also people are geting back charaters who did a transfer and didn't page a gm. So in time everyone should have thier charater back if they lost one during a transfer during the rollback.
    Rhiannon and Viquire like this.
  42. Eaerendil

Yes. SunWolf, they just need to be patient. We can pull out the hammer in 2 weeks, if we see that nothing has happend, nothing has been repaired etc. Til then, they deserve a chance to get things back working. There are many people out there being calm - not only those x-sharders, billionaires and stratics-posters... they are a minority. Most people are not x-ferring billions and trading shitloads of rares. Most people just run around and play the game. The others are the minority. However, a minority that deserves help. I understand their pains! So, repair as much as you can - and compensate them for the rest!
  43. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde UOSS M.E. | UO Community Liaison Board of Directors Administrator Senior Moderator

THIS is what the devs are doing now. You don't need them to come on here and tell you, you just have to read what's happening now. They ARE completing all lost transfers. There are several more posts like this if you go back through the thread. Why are they not posting? I don't know, I'm not a mind reader, but perhaps this.
    might have something to do with it?
    as for
    You lost 2 weeks gametime, they replace with 30 days gametime. A logical business decision regarding time.
    The devs didn't cause this problem. They're working flat out and all hours of day and night to fix it. Lighten up on them, they don't deserve the abuse.
  44. Hardy

Hardy Lore Keeper

Do you know this for sure Petra? If so then I will sit tight and stop waiting for my 30hr old page to be responded to.
  45. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde UOSS M.E. | UO Community Liaison Board of Directors Administrator Senior Moderator

I am only going by what people have posted here. Scroll back a ways, you'll see other posts from people who's transfers have now been completed.
    Eaerendil likes this.
  46. Eaerendil

One last add-on to the discussion about a total revert:

At least two general approaches to ethics apply here - the first (rather ancient one) is the so-called "golden rule":

"One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule) This kinda thinking is part of almost all religions and implies that a person that follows this simple ethics doesn´t want that others have to suffer the same things they actually suffer. Wanting that others have to suffer in the same way (for whatever reasons) essentially is un-ethical.

Another approach is the benevolent, rather consequentialistic form of Utilitarism: People should decide in a way that maximizes benefit for the maximum number of people - or from the reverse point of view: People should avoid decisions that will lead to a negative outcome for a maximum number of people (very short form, more info, read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consequentialism).

You can even argue from the backgroud of Kantian deontological ethics: "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deontological_ethics) According to this ethical approach the question would be, if you would advocate such massive manipulations like a total revert in every other case, too - and of course in cases, which would not affect yourself...

So, IMHO there is no ethical guideline that would justify a "total revert". A total revert is nothing but the outcome of egoistic, non-ethical thinking.

Thank you for your attention!

:gee:
  47. DJAd

DJAd Babbling Loonie

So the server reset message just popped up telling us to get ready......

EDIT - It's down. Lets hope if/when it comes back that it's not the 5th again.
  48. Brash

Brash Visitor

Just paged a GM about the transfer I had made and character/items I had lost. The GM informed me that I would very likely get my character back, though they were unsure as to whether or not my items would be with him or not.

They were courteous, and even said that if I hadn't had any progress with getting the character back that I should feel free to page them again in a couple days. They also said that the goal is to have it all settled by the weekend (though it seemed implied that that might not actually happen, as the GM stated that there were thousands of tickets they had to deal with).

I was informed that the GM was unable to actually do any of the actual work toward getting my character back, though they would send in a request to have it taken care of on a different level. Very shortly after my talk with them, I received an email stating that my ticket had been sent to the next level.

One other thing of note - when I told them I had a missing character, I didn't say the name. The GM told me my character's name, asking if they had it correct. I found this encouraging :)

Though I have yet to get my character and stuff back, it's only been a few hours, and I was told it would take a day or two most likely.

I thought you folks would appreciate a heads-up about my positive experience. Here's hoping that I get my gear/transfer items back as well.

Edit: Oh, one more thing. I asked about the 30-day game code they were going to give me, and I was told that it would (in a few days) be automatically applied to my account. I have two accounts, both of which were affected by this, so it should be interesting to see if I'll get the free month on just one or both accounts.
  49. Hardy

Hardy Lore Keeper

That is an encouraging update, thanks Brash
  50. Ron Silverbeard

Ron Silverbeard Executive Vice President | UO Moderator Board of Directors Moderator

Told you be patient and wait what their task-force is going to do - now it seems like they built an action plan and starting to work on every point on the list, handing out instructions to the GM's and customer service what and how to do it..

Its just the way it has to be done as a company by not abusing any legal stuff..

I understand people are upset if something like this happens but nobody on this planet would be able to handle all the issues by snapping a finger and its done.

I hope this action plan goes on and without any more and new problems apear, and i am pretty sure most if not all of you will be pleased at the end....just have to wait a bit in the line till your ticket gets called up ;)

So peace out peeps!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.