Hello!

Welcome to the Stratics community! Ready to talk games? Register today!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEWS [UO.Com] Atlantic Rollback

Discussion in 'UHall' started by weins201, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S_S

S_S Lore Keeper

God forgive me because I know you all like your gold, but I wanna know WHERE THE HELL MY CHAR IS THAT TRANSFERED during that time??? That char is missing on ATL and the shard (Sonoma) that I transfered it from. 30 day gamecode IS NOT gonna make up for me having to rework an entire character!
  2. Prawn

Prawn Journeyman

LOL wow I called this one..

UO APOCOLYPSE, im glad I moved everything i had on ATL last week... LEGIT DUPING! I WIN!
  3. shadowspirit

shadowspirit Lore Keeper

I'm with some of the others I just transfered from 8 different shards over to atlantic past couple weeks ,, thats 40 packies full 8 bank boxes full and 8 backpacks full ,, what happens now , thats several billion in items poofed?
  4. S_S

S_S Lore Keeper

Did anybody else lose a char from their log-in list?
  5. Madrid

Madrid Slightly Crazed

I disagree everything is interconnected and the only right thing to do is to revert all shards.

I've lost a character, soulstones galore and well over 1B in items and gold.

In all of UOs history there has never been a mistake on of this magnitude. If so someone point it out...
  6. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed

OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I snuck on and logged in at work.
    This is ridiculous. I was working on building Atlantic in the past week and now hes back to a frigin BRAND NEW CHAR?! Not to mention all the help I got getting setup is now DONE FOR. So someone has my gold I x-fered, but I have nothing?!
  7. Merus

Merus Slightly Crazed

CasteoftheForgotten

This is not 1 player or 1 house. Reverting all shard is the only way everything gets put back. Yes, we all lose the last 12 days, but anything we did can be redone... No other way to undo this cluster, no way they have tracked everything that has moved to and from ATL in the last 12 days.
    Madrid likes this.
  8. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed

I believe it! If I was you, I'd seriously just walk away right now. All I lost was 7-8 days of time and 10 Mil I transfered from Siege *Worth 60 Mil ATL*

Unbelievable. I feel for you people. If they did this on Siege, I would legit drop it all and walk away.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  9. Slayvite

Slayvite Slightly Crazed

This affects far more than just Atlantic, what about the other shards that have bought stuff or traded thru 2 or 3 different shards?
    What about those that bought tokens and items for RL cash? just cos the items goes 'poof' dont mean EA is gonna refund your cash. Oh and good luck trying to claim stuff, EA customer reps are told NOT to give out freebies.
    Hell i lost my entire 14 year history but not one appology or reinbursment just told....sorry not our problem.
  10. weins201

weins201 Certifiable

As for transfers there is a transfer log that can and I am sure will be accessed, the BIG question is - what are they going to do with the information? I was lucky and I had just transferred in on that day and had the transfer crate gump pop up.

I can imagine what would have happened if the 13 mesanna masks had gotten lost in the mix? ah well i feel blessed.

As for the 30 day game code that is useless to me as I don't use them.

How about every account get another vet reward or two added on, that would be something i could put to use???
  11. kelmo

kelmo UO Senior Moderator | (CLT) Staff Senior Moderator Stratics Pro Stratics Supporter

How did you transfer gold from Siege?
    Lord Nabin and Queen Mum like this.
  12. LadyElizabeth

LadyElizabeth Adventurer

For those wondering about characters that were transferred FROM Atlantic, those chars aren't on Atlantic. They're on the destination shard. There is no duplicate character.
  13. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator Staff Moderator

Just a reminder, folks.

Corrupted backups are just that.

In other words, when the backups are run, there is a signal put out that a successful backup was done. If THAT part of the safety net breaks, it's nearly impossible to catch.To catch it, you have to restore a backup. And, at that point, it's too late. Having even 10 copies of each backup doesn't matter, if the software making the backups corrupts every one of them in the process of making them and saving to disk. It's a problem as old as magnetic media itself.

After all, look what happened to Stratics in Spring 2008.

To give a real-world analogy...

When the Hubble Space Telescope was being built, they had several levels of redundancy. However, all those redundant checks were being done by machines that were all kept in calibration by a single device - one that was (somehow) OUT of calibration, when that was supposed to have not been that possible. As a result, the constantly "backed up" error correctors were CREATING errors, while everything seemed to be perfectly in place.
    Queen Mum and Xalan Dementia like this.
  14. Kayhynn

Kayhynn Lore Keeper

Let's be realistic here - I'm not affected by the issue and I'm saying REVERT even though it will affect stuff I've been doing/workign on on my home shard.

Revert is the only fair option I see.
  15. Hardy

Hardy Lore Keeper

just checked, yup char I moved over gone, including the soul stones (with skills) a shard shield deed and so much more.....what a time to come back to this game....
  16. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable

Id like the $40 iv lost on the 2 xfers i brough months back and used, im not sure if i went there and back in the time frame or there before, back after 5th. Im still trying to figure out if im doubled up or all down.

Either way id say revent the whole game its the only right way, ill loose a whole char on europa iv just trained right up but ill loose more on atlantic if you cant do a transfer track and replace all the stuff that the people lost.

I think this could be the end of UO with all the people who are gona quit over this the ship will sink.

Thunderz
  17. Prawn

Prawn Journeyman

I say... revert pre-aos.. find some old 98-99 backup
  18. Tazar

Tazar Assistant UO Forums Administrator Administrator Senior Staff Senior Moderator Stratics Pro

OrderOfDrunkenElders

Please go back and read the message on the patch screen - or on UO.com or the top of this thread. Page a GM if you lost vet rewards or used codes (bought tokens), etc.
    Eaerendil likes this.
  19. Kayhynn

Kayhynn Lore Keeper

The only other option I see is if there is a middle server that logs all the transfers that has records, then restoring those transfers on the original shards to be retransferred over.
  20. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde UOSS M.E. | UO Community Liaison Board of Directors Administrator Senior Moderator

Can we try for a little calm?
    We know this kind of drastic action wouldn't have been taken if there was any other choice. I think I can say with a fair degree of certainty that the dev team are at least as angry and upset about it as anyone here, and probably more so. They'll be working flat out trying to sort things out right now, and probably have been doing for some time. Which means they've limited time to talk to us.
    Can we try for a little patience. Check transfer logs and be ready to supply facts and figures when the time comes.
  21. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie

Merry f'ing Christmas
    yars, Cerwin Vega, Lord Frodo and 2 others like this.
  22. Goodmann

Goodmann Babbling Loonie

a FULL shard revert is the only way to fix this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lord Frodo, Merus and Madrid like this.
  23. UltimatePower

UltimatePower Lore Keeper

I Vote revert all shards back to this date. Lost billions of items that i transfered over from Baja.
    It really is the only fair way to fix this issue, so many lost so much.
    Madrid likes this.
  24. Mentiras

Mentiras SotA Staff Writer Staff

How does reverting everyone make things fair? That is like a kid getting pushed down in the playground and then going around and pushing down everyone else. It is extremely unfortunate that it happened, but maybe we should be thinking of diffrent ways to fix, compsensate, ATL players for this huge mess.
    MedeaDF, Eaerendil and yars like this.
  25. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer UO Atlantic News Reporter Staff

Full Revert!!!
    Merus likes this.
  26. Hardy

Hardy Lore Keeper

If you know where these transfer logs are on the EC I would be keen to know?
  27. Winker

Winker Babbling Loonie

28. MissEcho

MissEcho Lore Master

I am so upset about this, it is making me ill to think pretty much every minute of gameplay I have had since august just got trashed and they offer one months gametime. I am totally disgusted. What really sucks is even if they did the right thing and revert ALL shards so that not just one lot of people are severely disadvantaged but everyone is in the same boat being that that is the ONLY the 'fair' thing to do, is that I used a mythic token 4 days ago and pretty much have a totally maxed out new character that would 'disappear' instantly. However, even that is preferable to my losing 4 months worth of hard effort worth over 500 million.

At least I have proof of the mythic tokens use.

I am feeling so sick about the hours and hours and hours of farming and grinding for months. I think my three accounts might just go to permanent sleep now. I can't play a game where due to lack of adequate backups gamers just lose months of effort.

Revert all shards is the only answer or offer much more than ONE piddly months gametime worth at best 20-30 million in gold given the going rate for a million is around 89 cents and a months time is worth a whole $15 bucks, I lost over 500 million.

Merry Christmas UO, NOT.
    Cerwin Vega and Xaereth like this.
  29. Lord Obsidian

Lord Obsidian Journeyman

Atlantic has been moved to Amazon Web Services on the 5th, so it looks like all backups made since then are somehow incomplete/corrupted. The backup of the 5th must be one of the last they had from the old Atlantic hardware.
    Cerwin Vega likes this.
  30. Alexander of ATL.

Alexander of ATL. Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013

I'm done with this game............. I've LOST SO MUCH! And can't get it back....
    yars and Cerwin Vega like this.
  31. hamburger

hamburger Adventurer

I understand that this is a tough situation for some of you, however a total revert of all shards would be more detrimental to the game. I base my opinion on my belief that each player and their time (and monthly subscription fee) is equal to that of any other player. We should not be so easily swayed by the number of pixels and gold lost by the vocal minority here on Stratics. Regardless, I hope there is an appropriate resolution for all parties. Thank you
  32. Kylie Kinslayer

The reason it makes it fair is because anyone who xferred off of Atl to another shard just doubled anything they took. They now have it on Atl and the shard they xferred to. Also, those who transferred to Atl. lost whatever they xferred supposedly. The only way to make it right is for a full revert. But of course those who just made billions (or more) are generally not going to be in favor of that...
    Cerwin Vega likes this.
  33. kelmo

kelmo UO Senior Moderator | (CLT) Staff Senior Moderator Stratics Pro Stratics Supporter

There are many things too feel sick about in this world. Pixels?
    MedeaDF, Eaerendil, yars and 6 others like this.
  34. Vexxed

Vexxed Slightly Crazed

Well....

#1 Isn't this all supposed to happen Dec 21st ??? LoL

#2 I'm not effected by this, but the fact that someone could have theoretically cleared everything they own off of ATL sometime after Dec 5th to another shard & then now have all that REPLACED really does bug me. I'm inclined to agree that losing 12 days of my progress (since I didn't do much) won't bug me nearly as much as potentially duping a TON of items / characters... Though I'd like to think there is a way to figure out What was Xferred off shard between backup & Crash and act accordingly.....
    Cerwin Vega, Madrid and Mentiras like this.
  35. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed

Like its any of your business. For the sake of making you shuttup, I traded with someone like everyone else who transfers gold/items from Siege. I don't even remember who TBH. I found someone to get me the gold on ATL first and did the swap.
  36. Prawn

Prawn Journeyman

People who sold EM items on other shards for gold on ATL are the ones who lose.

Anyways... I think its just a tactic to get players to move off atl and populate other shards.
    CovenantX, yars and Cerwin Vega like this.
  37. Madrid

Madrid Slightly Crazed

Also players who transferred off Atlantic essentially have DUPED items now. How can a total revert of all shards not be the right thing?
    Cerwin Vega and Kylie Kinslayer like this.
  38. Kylie Kinslayer

I used to think that way too Kelmo. Then I talked in depth to a few people.... there is a certain percentage of UO players that for them... this game IS their life.

Just sayin'
    Eaerendil and Cerwin Vega like this.
  39. Vor

Vor Crazed Zealot

Revert every shard 12 days and you've just killed UO. Hundreds would quit! Maybe thousands.
    CovenantX, MedeaDF, Eaerendil and 2 others like this.
  40. The Predator

The Predator Journeyman

This is the most pathetic thing I've seen in the past 15 years of playing this game. The players suffer because you failed to test this publish and it was exploited beyond belief.

What a joke. 12 days? And what, a 30 day time code will make it better? Give me a break.
  41. Prawn

Prawn Journeyman

THIS x2 its very unfortunate and everyone knew what was going on on both TC1 and origin.
    Cerwin Vega likes this.
  42. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator Staff Moderator

What is Amazon Web Services?
    And, if the corruption is their fault, perhaps compensation may be due from them.
    Cerwin Vega and Mentiras like this.
  43. hamburger

hamburger Adventurer

Regardless of what decision the Devs choose to make, they should have make that decision and publicly announce it (or reaffirm Atlantic revert only) ASAP. They have had enough time to weigh the pros/cons. This will allow the playerbase to move on and play the game with confidence that there will be no flipflopping and further wasted time/energy/money.
    CovenantX, Cerwin Vega, Mirt and 2 others like this.
  44. Varrius

Varrius Sage

The only fair thing to do is what Goodmann said. A full revert. Too many players losing items along with other players having duped chars/items.
    Cerwin Vega likes this.
  45. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie

VPSs in the 'cloud'. oohhhh
    Cerwin Vega likes this.
  46. Promathia

Promathia EM Bennu Fanclub Stratics Pro

XSharders United

What a crapshow

This is why Publishes are supposed to sit on TC, then be ANNOUNCED they are going on Origin, and then ya know STAY on there for more than a FLIPPIN DAY.

OH GEE, ATL IS CRASHING EVERYDAY? LETS NOT BACKUP ANYTHING

Some bug fixes guys, GREAT JOB
  47. Piotr

Piotr Stratic's Finest Stratics Pro Staff Alumnus Stratics Supporter

Publish 23 - March 25, 2004 was the dreadful publish that introduced the Character Transfer system. Worst publish ever - except for Publish 16! :(
    Lord Crowen, MedeaDF, yars and 3 others like this.
  48. jopromol

jopromol Adventurer

Raise your hand if u never lost anything to this game before?.... Is anyone even the least bit surprised? I'm really sorry to those of you who have lost items/gold/characters to this unfortunate event. Its in times like these that you should remember what you're grateful for: my life, my freedom, the opportunity to sit around and play a computer game on my free time, my job, my security, food, shelther.... Complaining, and furthermore, being spiteful and saying that every shard needs to be set back, is NOT the answer. Rebuild, overcome, be grateful damnit!
    Nine Dark Moons likes this.
  49. MissEcho

MissEcho Lore Master

exactly, I cannot believe that after the monumental stuff up they actually make it worse by penalizing ONE group of players instead of doing the right thing and reverting across the board.

Talk about poor decision making.
  50. Madrid

Madrid Slightly Crazed

This is the only thing that will restore balance. It's the right thing to do.
    wanderer1origin and Cerwin Vega like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.