1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

565 Color Mode?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Kat, May 31, 2009.

1. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

My old monitor finally bit the dust and I had to go out and grab a new monitor today. So I'm trying to get everything to look right, setting brightness, contrast, etc and then in the game options, I notice 565 color mode. Does anyone use this or is its use recommended? It doesn't seem to lag me or anything, just curious how many players use this setting. :)

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I tried it once, my colours went really weird. I don't think my monitor and graphics card coped with the idea very well.

3. Dark Drow

Dark Drow Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I didn't like it for the game.

4. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Yes, the colors do seem a little weird, but then again, with this new monitor, they already seemed weirdish. lol Just thought I'd try various options to make it look right. I think my old CRT monitor was a bit too dark and maybe thats the problem. heh

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Welcome to the 21st century, Kat. *winks*

6. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

LOL I didn't have a need to replace that dinosaur until now. The damn thing wouldn't die! Was almost 8 years old. :thumbsup:

7. Rykus

Rykus Guest

The only thing I've ever seen the 565 color setting do is make my cursor all funky looking, and green, instead of gold. 565 color mode makes all of the colors in NPC vendor menus that same funky green, and it also makes the colored lighting look horrible at night.

Before anyone says anything about my color depth settings being off, drivers issues, video card being bad etc.. I have ran UO on dozens of different computers/laptops over the last 10 years with both AMD, and Intel inside, using video cards/GPUs from various manufacturers. I've also called EA tech support (waste of life, I know), and have also asked around on these forums about it, without resolution.

I really don't understand why the 565 color mode exists, as it seems to do nothing but cause some kind of bizarre palette corruption in a few specific aspects of the game. If someone knows how to enable 565 color mode without these goofy side-effects, I'd like to know also.. :)

8. Critical Gaming

Critical Gaming Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

565 color mode is for performance. Instead of having it render all the different colors that UO has to offer, (lol!), it only has to render 565 colors. This option is for people with old computers.

btw, if anyone has any performance issues with UO i can make a writeup to help it perform better.

9. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Crunch PM me on how to get my EVAL to raise lol.... Mage, Med, Necro, SS, Resist, wrestle are all at 100... EVAL Is not gaining!

10. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

The thing is...256 color mode (8-bit color) is the standard low color palette option for just about every software application ever made. Then it goes to 16-bit, 24-bit, and 32-bit. The 565 color mode is just strange.

-Skylark

11. Varka

Varka Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Actually, the 565 denotes bits per pixel for color accuracy.

565 uses 5 bits for red, 6 bits for Green, and 5 bits for Blue. You lose the least significant 3 bits, 2 bits, and 3 bits for R, G, B, and that throws all the colors UO uses out of whack.

I believe it was intended for compatibility with some older video cards like S3 that had problems with 16 and 24-bit color.

This could also just be all in my head.

12. Mook Chessy

Mook Chessy Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Can I have the old one, I need an Anchor for my boat....

:)

13. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Come get it and its all yours! :thumbsup:

14. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks Varka...I always wondered what it represented.

-Skylark

15. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

i swiched mine to that and then i switched back and now reds are yellow and i cant change it back :(