1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

6 Months payment option is $59.99 or $64,79 ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Aug 27, 2009.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Which is the correct figure for a 6 months payment, $59.99 or $64,79 ?

Thinking it over, since $64,79 - $59.99 = $4.8 which is about 8% of $59.99, question is, is there an 8% sales tax on top of the $59.99 which applies ?

2. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Most likely, yes.
    It is not common for people to list the price including the tax. At least not in my experience.

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Some states charge a tax for online goods and services, others don't.

4. Wilde1

Wilde1 Guest

Look at your CC statement. That should tell you whether you pay tax.

5. falseprophet

falseprophet Lore Master

yep they charge me tax now and that' what i had to pay last time i payed.

6. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

yup - the $64.79 is with sales tax applied.

7. Splup

Splup Guest

How about us europeans who would pay that 6 months in Euros. 6 months= 67,99 € which is approx 95 $.

But luckily we can buy gametimecodes from uogamecodes for dollars so there we get the same price as ppl from US...

8. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I'm charged 8% sales tax on my subscription.
    Instead of 12.99, it's 14.03 each month.

9. HillBilly

HillBilly Guest

Not sure about outside the U.S. but heres a list of the states that charge tax....luckily Im not in one that does :p

Is anyone getting taxed in a state that isnt suppose to be?

[​IMG]

10. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The tax depends on what state you're in. Some states tax internet commerce. Others do not.

11. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I'm getting charged tax in New York.

12. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

I wouldn't necessarily trust Wisconsin to keep up to date with New York tax law.

13. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

The other thing to consider is with state incomes dropping due to the economy, they may be looking for new ways to generate more revenue, like instituting online purchasing taxes. So that table could be outdated.

14. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I didn't even notice that, explains why NY was left out. Either that or it's just an old map. Based on my google studies digital download tax is new to NY as of this year.

15. DarkChronus

DarkChronus Guest

EA was charging me tax on UO last year as far as I know. Not sure I have access to my statements that far back so I can't double check. (NY state here)

And that map is a bit out of date I would imagine since we're not listed there. New York started requiring tax on any online purchase starting last summer. I know because it went into effect right before I purchased my new computer online :p

*edit* Also, digital download and online purchasing are slightly different. That map is for digital downloads. Our subscriptions would be considered online purchases since we're not really purchasing a download, only a subscription to access the service.

16. popps

popps Always Present

Question, a sales tax applies to any and all sales, whether purchases of products or of "services" alike ?

That is, when one does not buy a product but mere "services", are they necessarily subject to a sales tax where a sales tax applies ?

Unless I recall wrong, I seem to recall that we own nothing in Ultima Online and we pay subscription only to receive a monthly service.

17. DarkChronus

DarkChronus Guest

I think so? You make a good point though.

18. DarkChronus

DarkChronus Guest

I know I'm getting a bit off topic with this... but I found this part of the US tax law interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_tax

Apparently you are technically responsible for paying the tax on any good you have not that would have been taxed if purchased in your area. Interesting to know and very often NOT followed :p

19. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

Does not matter what states charge tax based on Google or whereever - just what EA has stated is taxed. I believe the knowledgebase does have the tax list in it somewhere.

New Yorkers being charged 8% state sales tax is incorrect anyway. NYS sales tax level is 4% I believe. My area is 8% - 4 for state and 4 to county.

This was a topic with Jeremy that never was responded to ... last I knew she was taking it to others more able to answer our questions - esp. concerning overtaxation.

20. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Well... I am in Iowa... and I can tell you right now there is NO Sales tax on anything I purchase online.... out of state...

So I do a bunch of shopping where I can get free shipping and no sales tax!...

21. Thangorodrim

Thangorodrim Guest

Just stop.

22. Demonous

Demonous Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010

maybe ill put down some fake address from a state that doesnt charge tax to save money :)

23. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I'm pretty sure it's based on the billing address tied to the credit card you're using to pay for the service. Most (all?) credit cards won't work online unless you providing a billing address that matches where the bill physically would be mailed to.

Not a bad idea though.

24. Alvinho

Alvinho Great Lakes Forever!
    Stratics Veteran

See MY personal Opinion is that We should not be Charged Tax and EA/Mythic has misunderstood the Taxing of games. When WE upgrade a account we are getting a digital download/purchase, paying the monthly subscription is not a digital download per se it is a recurring charge, Taxes were paid when we bought the expantion/game. I pay Taxes on my account each month under protest, and will eventually be reimbursed when the laws are Clarified on the taxing of digital downloads, to include expantions/new accounts, and not the recurring fees to access games.

25. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

It's not EA as much as the idiot company they have calculating and applying the tax for them (yes, it's so complicated that companies hire 3rd parties to handle it).

Based on THAT COMPANY'S own web page copy of the KRS (Kentucky revised statute) text on the matter, online SUBSCRIPTIONS are NOT taxable, yet are taxed anyway.

26. tax in the state of Lincoln.

pay 64.79 for 6months..

used to pay flat 59.99..

yea i know.. cheap entertainment for 10.80 per month. as opposed to $10 per month..

$.80 isnt going to break me. or cause me to not supersize my McD

but still..

This country was founded on "no taxation w/o representation" and those ideals ..

now.. Can we dump EA's tea into the river? in protest? :p

27. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

If only there was tea in UO :(

28. Zodia

Zodia Guest

if only?

[​IMG]

29. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Oo, news to me, lol. Knew about the tea pot though.

Can it be made into a drink though?

30. popps

popps Always Present

What do you mean ?

Some players are paying taxes which they should not pay ??

Did I understand that correctly ?

31. siyeng0

siyeng0 Guest

STOP PLAYING

32. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Your McDonalds still has supersize?!?!? I miss my supersize fries.