1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A Bundle of question from a returning player.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Hraxal, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Hraxal

Hraxal Visitor

I've recently just returned to UO after a few years break and am once again, wholeheartedly addicted.

I've been back for about a week now and have managed to return most of my suits and templates to relevance, but I still feel like there's a lot to catch up on.

I know a lot of this info is already available, but it's so scattered and often out of date already that I suspect this will yield better and faster results.

Firstly, can someone please give me a really brief rundown of High Seas and what it has to offer? What are the main boss encounters and their rewards? What are the benefits to the new ships, are they necessary and should I invest in the Britannian ship from the origin store?

City loyalty/citizenship, trading quests and huntsmaster quests? Say what?

Runic reforging, that's new! Are the leetest and greatest suits reforged or legendary artifact? I'm so confused!

Does each dungeon now have it's own unique point/reward system? That's neat! Also, wtf is voidpool and is it worth doing? Any other new dungeons I should know of?

I see that the new loot system is global now, awesome! Unfortunately I don't seem to be having much luck getting any legendaries from the old peerless and champs I have tried and tested methods of soloing. What encounter offer the best chance of legendaries now?

It seems Sampires and Archers are the main PvM templates now, can anyone offer an example of some common templates used and the new 'must have' arties in their suits?

Are greater dragons still the main pet used by tamers?

What seems to be the main source of income for farmers nowdays? When I left, farming Tangle, CC and PS seemed to be the most common profession, but it seems the value of said items has decreased while everything else has inflated.

Any responses would be really appreciated. Hopefully there'll be plenty of others returning in the coming months as word spreads about the new content, increase in activity and the new expansion!

Christina Kardos likes this.
  2. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

New ships and High Seas. If you like Fishing this is a MUST. Love the Pirate adventuring. Yes there are Pirates on the Sea you can take down..... you can disable other peoples ships in Fel, and you can take on Merchant ships for loot (not really great loot merchants have better loot) or you can capture the pirates and take them back in and gather ship parts for the Orc ship which is by far the fastest... The ships are able to hold cannons which you can fire upon other ships with as well as monsters such as Osridain one of the new mobs. He's spawned by tossing white nets into deep water.... you can still get a Kraken this way and the Leviathan but you also have a chance at spawning Osridain... (Best to do this with a group!) Also there is a way to go to a "hidden" island and fight Corgul... on an island filled with wave after wave of undead. Good drops from both if you get them. The Britannian ship is a 9 cannon ship largest of the fleet and also allows you to place 2 one tile deeds... so you can place an anvil and small forge on it and go mining along the waters...

IMO the biggest benefit to the ships is no more trying to get on or off the boat.... no need for a key as you get a rune and can put that in a book and recall directly to your ship.... also it's good for groups going on a sea adventure loads more room. If you haven't played in a long time you'll love the much less jerky motion of boats... it's much more like walking... smother unless your trying to walk on the deck of a moving boat.

City Loyalty... declare loyalty to a city say Yew and you can vote in that city and take advantage of the Trade Deal sponsored by the Governor of the City (note this is only in TRAM... there are no Governors in the unlawful Fellucan lands.) Trading quests can be picked up at the local docks from the Trademasters (Yew and Minoc the Trademasters aren't near the new docks ... Yew's is at the Shipwrights and Minoc's I believe is near the stables)... Loads of fun watch out going over water! But you gain loyalty in your city as well as to the cities you take the things to.... and are rewarded sometimes with a Pink Scroll of Transendance (which basically gives you skill points without you having to work them up! Free skill gains! Can't beat that!) Or they give often some form of supplies like leathers, ingots, and such or you can get signs for your house like the Theater sign... a Blacksmith sign etc... also there are some rare books that you can get... if you want better chances of getting the good stuff you must travel overland without gating or using a moongate.... and if you are feeling "naughty" you can take the stuff instead to Slim the Fence... in Fel... and he'll give you a reward... usually it's a piece of junk but rarely ..... VERY rarely he'll give a mempo with 1FC I think it is... As for the Huntsmaster... the rewards are weird... not technically "uber awesome" but interesting what's more interesting is the fact that you can have a taxidermist fix your kill for you... very cool if you are into house deco. (which I am).

Runic Reforging is new and if you are into crafting I'd say well worth looking into ..... It's over my helmet so I leave that to the math majors.

Dungeons.... um.... well I like some of the changes, Wrong is fun,... Shame is cool.... get some awesome loot there, same with level 4 covetous.... I'm not too keen on the destruction of Despise for that minigame thing that I think stinks... but whatever..... as for the voidpool it was fun for awhile but meh...

New loot is good.... hard to get the legendaries... I'd say EM event bosses are your best bet for those.

Sampires, archers and the Wraith thrower are the big things..

Greaters are still the bomb.

Farmers now do the EM events in droves hoping for a drop to sell for insane amounts of gold... Tangle sells about 15 to 18 mill..... sometimes as low as 12.. I think that's all I got for you.

Zeke likes this.
  3. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Welcome back!

4. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

The trade quests are fun and easy and you can stockpile a lot of pink scrolls and have a chance at rare and valuable guild signs, a good way to pass some time when you don't want to get into something hard (agreeing with @MalagAste here)

5. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

i like the trade quests for doing when im home for lunch or if im on the phone and need something to keep my brain active while i go "uh huh, oh, uh huh, really? right" so i run trade quests.

plus they remind me where everything is and how to get around.
    also makes me nostalgic for running sigs.

6. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

7. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Yep I like to do them when I just have a few minutes to kill. If you don't want to do the ones that require sailing you can cancel the quest. (This doesn't hurt your standing with the rewards or anything which is really nice) The Quests start off small only needing 1 item and eventually build up to about 5 or 6 items.... (Thankfully the crates they give offer substantial weight reduction). I rather enjoy them and it's nice to get out and see the countryside. I like to see how quickly I can get the to Cities... also while your out doing them you sometimes come across "Lost" items and if you can find who they go to you will gain in Honesty. Something that with the upcoming expansion you might strive to do. Which would be to become a Knight of all eight Virtues.

8. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

I use the moongates for the trade quests that require sailing and still often get 0.5 pink scrolls from them (EDIT: I often got all the way up to 1.0 pink scrolls even using a gate on level one quests, not bad when one of them can sell for several 100k) - I don't see a downside to them other than missing the chance for a guild sign that quest

#8 Yadd of Legends, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  9. Hraxal

Hraxal Visitor

Awesome responses, thanks a bundle! I'll definitely go try some trade quests.

So I suppose the 2 new High Seas bosses and Exodus are the biggest and baddest at the moment, thus offering the highest loot table?

10. MalagAste

One would think but no... Exodus has some awesome drops... and like I said try to regularly attend the EM events and loot there. Much of that loot is pretty darn good.

11. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

High seas loot and bosses are terrible. no one does them. the "corguls enchanted sash" is the only drop from high seas anyone uses. thing is you need high seas to use it. so basically i have high seas on my account just to use 1 item.
    Scalis is the 1 boss in high seas which has very good loot. its usually done in a group and takes fabled nets with about a 1/5 chance to fish up the boss. You do not need high seas to encounter this boss
    The quest to get into the "under the sea" area is very long, not my kind of thing but if your into questing it might be a fun thing to do.

Exodus is very worth doing, has some decent drops (tho kinda low price) Most people do it for the loot. some of the best in the game.
    Styngian Dragon also has a very high loot table. These are the three bosses that yield the best global loot at a far higher rate than peerless.

Reforging is still very useful, but legendary artifacts are king now. The only thing i would use reforging for now is 10 stam pieces (if your going for 211 stam suit) it generally takes about 20-30m in kits to get a useable 10 stam piece, can run up to 250 to get a perfect one.
    Reforging for armor for a mage isnt worth it anymore, you can find much better pieces for much lower cost as loot/legendary artifacts
    Reforging for overcaps or special base mods like 40ssi, 5 hci or dci on armor, overcap mana leech or hit spell is still very useful.

as for suits, i feel sampire is outdated in favor of a dexter with healing.

Best pvm dexter template in my opinion is 20ssi on suit, using bladed staffs reforged for 100 mana leech. no ssi on weapon. 150 stam required, with 10-20 stam buffer so total of 160-170 stam. Sampire is still good build, but i just feel healer is more versatile.

Best archer / thrower gear is same. 20 ssi on suit but weapons reforged for 40 ssi. If you want to get real fancy, can reforged mana leech for overcap, but youll only know you achieved this if you imbue 30ssi and the leech stays at max (50).
    My best pvm thrower suit uses 30ssi 50 mana leech soul glaives with 25ssi on suit (20 on jewels 5 on cloak 5 town bonus for total of 60 with 150 base stamina, total 170 stamina)

you can technically swing faster with a 211 stamina suit, but its really best for pvp as in hard pvm situations the damage you take prevents you from having the full stam needed most the time to swing at max.

id take a look at in game vendor search on atlantic to get an idea of the gear thats available now. some is expensive, but some very useable pieces also go for 100k to 5mil.

welcome back : )

12. a slave girl

Stratics Veteran

Late post but just want to mention that High Seas best feature for pack rats is 20% increased house and bank storage:

Set sail for adventure.
    Get ready for all-new adventures in the world of Ultima Online, the best-selling massively multiplayer online roleplaying game with the Ultima Online: High Seas Booster pack.

With the Ultima Online: High Seas Booster pack, the action moves to the open seas with exciting new seafaring thrills. Fight ship-to-ship battles with the new Galleon-class ships. Unload your cannons to sink the enemy ship, or board with your crew to take over command. Battle nefarious pirates, visit the sprawling sea market, and encounter terrifying boss characters like Corgul the Soulbinder and Osiredon the Scalis Enforcer. New quests, professions, mini-games, weapons and more can be found in the Ultima Online: High Seas Booster pack exclusively for the PC.

Features:
    - New Ship Types
    • Gargoyle, Tokuno and Orc Themes
    • Row boats
    - Ship Weapons
    • Multi-step firing system
    • 2 new ship ammo types
    • Cannon and ammo crafting
    - Ship Damage States and improved Ship Repair
    - NPC Pirate and Merchant Ships
    - Unique Crews and Loot
    - Ship Tracking
    - Boat Paints
    • Add more paint to darken your ship
    - 20% House and Bank storage increase...

Kirthag and Lord Frodo like this.