1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Cartography] A Donation On Great Lakes

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Jasonleebeck, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jasonleebeck

Jasonleebeck Guest

Good day all.

This is my first ever post on the Treasure Hunting forum mainly because I don't do chests and such. Nothing against it, just never got into it. My brother on the other hand had created a cartographer from day one and had a great deal of fun with it. From time to time, he'd ask for my assistance with the spawn and had usually done all 6 level t-maps solo simply for the challenge. Well, it has come time for him to move on from the game and all on-line games as RL naturally came to the call. With a new wife, house and 2 month old baby boy in his life, t-maps were simply nowhere on the radar for him. Some may have seen his character out and about and may have even ran some chests with him (Amerigo Vespucci). I and he thank you. As for my presence on this forum, I have been handed all four of the accounts that he and his wife procured and been asked to do the right things with the items (more or less, whatever I'd like). On that note, I have in my possession a boat load of maps that I'd like to donate to the Great Lakes chapter of the Treasure Hunters of Brittainia. There are 57 Devious maps, 16 Cleverly, 3 Plainly, 4 Expertly, 5 Adept and 1 Ingenious. These are all undecoded and located in Trammel, 86 Total. I'd really like, and I'm sure he would too, that all these maps go to THB so that they can enjoy the pleasures that I've seen my brother have digging, running and dying :D.

For information on where and when to pick up these maps, please feel free to pm me here on the boards, or check out my icq (300422601 - Jason).

Thank you all for your time, and your support over the years for both me and my brother.

2. Santos

Santos Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I think the only character that can dig up a chest is the character that decodes it.

3. Jasonleebeck

Jasonleebeck Guest

Like I said

4. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

That hasn't been true since AoS was released, Santos.

All maps looted since the AoS release can be dug by a treasure hunter with the requisite cartography to read it (they have to effectively "re-decode" it, where it loses the tattered tag). It's probable (but I've not tested) that the digger may have to actually have the Cartography ON the character while digging, if someone decoded the map first (which of course would ruin the day of the soulstone skill-switchers).

5. Santos

Santos Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Didn't see the UN. My bad.

6. FatMagic

FatMagic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Can anyone confirm this? I was hoping to do this actually... decode on my cartography, then give the maps to my Thief/Ninja and have him to go dig them up. Would that be possible, or must I have the toon with Cartography on?

7. TimberWolf

TimberWolf Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Yes I can confirm that....if the map isn't tattered at the time it comes into possession of the cartographer then the skill must remain on the character when he attempts to dig the map.

Also you will NOT be able to make a tattered wall map if all the maps aren't tattered when you start.

You also can't switch characters like you suggest. However you can soul stone off a skill and add cartography to that character....decode the "tattered" maps you intend to dig, and then stone cartography off that character. AS long as the same character attempts to dig the map, and as long as the map was "tattered" when that characters decoded it...it will work!

TW

8. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Gilfane

Jason,

What a great idea. I hope they accept your kind donation and have some fun with it.

9. Jasonleebeck

Jasonleebeck Guest

Thank you, finally a relevant post! I'd hate to toss them, and I don't want to dump them in the bank for all, they should go somewhere where TH's can use and enjoy. I haven't heard from anyone in the 'biz, and I'm not going anywhere anytime to soon.

10. Jasonleebeck

Jasonleebeck Guest

Well, it's been 2.5 months. No interested parties, so, into the trash they go. Sad to see all that gold and loot disappear.