1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A few ideas, good or bad?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Dan123The123Man, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Dan123The123Man

Dan123The123Man Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

(1) Good or bad to have an in-game friends list?

(2) Good or bad to allow UO to be played on Ipads or Phones?

(3) Good or bad to make the in-game resolution for classic client bigger so that it doesn't look so tiny for those of us with huge monitors?

(4) Good or bad to allow one house per shard rather than one house per account?

(5) Good or bad to have a chat channel to communicate with players on other servers? Such as for example a "Cross Shard Trading" channel or something.

(6) Good or bad to have some kind of instant messaging program for the chat channels in UO or for the forums.

2. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

I'd combine 1,5,6, or modify in-game chat ability to add players by number (much like icq), w/ a number for 'admin' like EM's and such, like on a personal channel - making it easy to chat cross shard, or keep up with goings on in events or other group outings.

graphics - they have something planned for the near future already, I'm at a wait and see
    houses - sitting on the fence, but as much as it'd be really convenient, I'm on the no side until abuses in the game are curbed.

3. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

I really like 3 (higher resolution for the classic client). I'd modify 4 to allow for one [small] additional house per account on whatever shard a player wanted it, including his or her home shard.

4. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Younger than Kelmo, but also in the way...
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

1: Good
    2: Good
    3: VERY GOOD
    4: Hmmm...
    5: VERY GOOD
    6: Dunno

5. Joey Porter

Joey Porter Guest

I would love to have friends list for chat. It is very difficult to keep up with people who are not in your guild.

6. sativa green

sativa green Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

yes to everything. we've been asking for one small house on secondary shards for a while now, the developers seem to not care when this would definitely help revive some of the 'dead' shards.

7. Crysta

Crysta Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

3 happened already. It was the new client. It literally can't happen any other way.

5 would be a very bad idea. Good in theory, would create so much client lag in practice.

8. CryptisRavenous

CryptisRavenous Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I run a 32" LCD as a monitor, I use a lower resolution when I play UO on it. Seems to help me, not sure if it'll help anyone else.

9. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

We need an in-game mailbox, not the ones we have, but like what all of the other games have. EA/BioWare has them in other online games, so why not?

10. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Oh great... <laughs> the EC... another thing advertised as new and improved!! that doesn't match the quality of what it is meant to replace.

I still suspect the EC was something someone tossed together to get their rump out of a sling with their Boss. :rolleyes:

11. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Playing UO on a Pad is one thing, but a phone??
    Now I'm not saying it's a bad idea but something like that would possibly make the easiest and most simplest task incredibly difficult with such a small screen.

12. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

(1) Good or bad to have an in-game friends list? - It's not a bad idea... I'm not sure what the issue with sharing a person's ID# is, but I know they once had an in-game mail system they were working on that they removed because it exposed that very item ID... without something unique though, it would be impossible to implement.

(2) Good or bad to allow UO to be played on Ipads or Phones? - Bad idea... first, it would require supporting a third client, and it would be a fundamental change in how the game is played (meaning movement, casting, et cetera). It would take a lot of work to implement this, and so for the short to near future, no. Long term, maybe, but not right now.

(3) Good or bad to make the in-game resolution for classic client bigger so that it doesn't look so tiny for those of us with huge monitors? - Truthfully, even though it would be somewhat pixelated, I think I'd be okay with a 2x zoom of the current playfield. It wouldn't be that bad, and since it would be an even zoom, it would work fine.

(4) Good or bad to allow one house per shard rather than one house per account? - Bad idea. I'd rather they charge us for a second house (same or different shard) per account than open up free placing everywhere. What I mean is that if you could suddenly own a house on any shard, you might just go place such a house. Now, perhaps a way to affect this would be to give an allotment of tiles that could be used in house space (like an 18x18 represents 324 total tiles, so maybe a limit of 500 tiles across all shards, or something like that)... but this would sort of be a big leap. I wouldn't be for opening 1 house per shard though, as that would invariably end up sucking up more space than worthwhile.

(5) Good or bad to have a chat channel to communicate with players on other servers? Such as for example a "Cross Shard Trading" channel or something. - Bad. I mean, first and foremost, it would require the same technology as item 1, which already puts it at a minus. Secondly, I think that thing should be reserved for a specific "real-ID" type thing like Blizzard did where it's only close friends or something. I wouldn't want to see the shards opened up to constant chatter from other shards from a technical standpoint because that's a lot of communicating between servers.

(6) Good or bad to have some kind of instant messaging program for the chat channels in UO or for the forums. - Bad idea... assuming we could just get an in-game friends list, there'd be no need for the rest, at least initially. If you mean for someone to communicate from outside of UO with someone inside UO, I don't really think that's necessary at all.

13. RaDian FlGith

RaDian FlGith Babbling Loonie

They did try at one time... there was some issue with the revealing of a character's unique item ID that caused them to abandon it. Not sure why that mattered, but I suspect it did.

14. Woodsman

Woodsman Guest

They should be able to fix that. In 2012, an MMORPG should not force players to resort to ICQ/Skype/email to contact other players. EA's other MMORPGs have it, no reason why UO shouldn't. And they have an in-game message delivery system, it's how we got our notices about New Magincia houses.

15. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I think it would be incredibly difficult to write a UI for an ipad or phone.

16. Zyon Rockler

Zyon Rockler Guest

Ea should make a master program that can be used with all there games allowing you one list of friends and place to talk about games and maybe even do live chat. I say that cause by the time you are done asking if its a good thing or not other games are going to have it. I am sure they will have it all so it would seem to be best to make it so it works with all games. I would like to make movies. Have a friends list Live chat party up to ten maybe 20.

As far as phones.. I would say wait a few years where phones are no less then lap tops are now. I would say no bad for now.

If you had a master over side plug in you could add chat for all severs and even all games not sure if you will see that tho unless you play the game. I do not like shard traders tho at all I think it makes the game unfair. I would say no but maybe talking only would be ok as long as you can trade tho I do not like it.

Yes add anything that can help you find friends and talk to them.

Make it so you have to be in the house for some amount of time maybe have three or four houses but one only you can make your main home. the rest would fall if you did not use them or if any time laps was in the billing.

17. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

If there IS an issue, maybe someone will expand, since it's already in-game, and has been for awhile

18. NBG

NBG Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

We used to be able to adjust play view area in Classic Client to be bigger in window mode. I really hope they bring that back. I am not sure why that feature was taken out of CC. Do anyone else know the reason behind it?