1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(Question) A few permanent New2 books.

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by kelmo, May 18, 2014.

?

New2 books locked down,,,

1. Yes

93.9%
  2. No

6.1%
  1. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Would you support a few informational books locked down for New2?

startle likes this.
  2. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

In what way?

On my door step or in a way that we tried once at banks?

Troop likes this.
  3. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

We had a few people go ballistic the last time some New books were locked down.

4. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

In a way that benefits us all. New2 does not threaten any guild or society.

startle likes this.
  5. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

I think its a good idea. Don't understand why it wouldn't.

startle likes this.
  6. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

One thing to consider. Even if we here on Siege say it is OK... How about everyone else? Will others object to more considerations for Siege?

7. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Since Siege and Mugen are the only 2 that have no insurance, no New Haven, no shard transfers for help setting up and 1 char per account (not to mention they're red meat for the likes of HoD) - then I think that the Mesanna/EM exception would certainly be acceptable.
    In that context, they have no leg to whine on ... ;)

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I can only hope some few brave souls have signed up as "councilors" for Siege. I would also hope that the tradition of New will carry on.

startle likes this.
  9. startle

I'd also like to see ALL leaders of all Guilds/Factions agree to at least one meeting with the "new" in NEW2. After all, you ARE looking to recruit people to your group - are you not? ;)

10. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

In my guild we do not attack new2, and I do encourage them to help, I don't see anything wrong with locking down a book, and as someone mentioned earlier. A gate in the Brit in to get to New2 would be a marvelous idea. NBT is always looking to recruit :)

startle and Lady Michelle like this.
  11. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I made a character on Siege I'm going to give it a try figured if I iz gonna die might as be on Siege.

12. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Maybe it could be a book telling general info about Siege, PvP ruleset on all facets, RoT, NPC vendors don't buy/sell/train

startle and kelmo like this.
  13. archiv

archiv Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Well I'm the only one who said no (so far)...but not because I don't believe in the good NEW2 does, only because I dislike clutter. I'd rather see something other than a book if it were going to be a permanent fixture. Perhaps a powerscroll type item, something which could be put a little to the side out of the way but would still draw attention. And actually, with the influx of books dropped on prodoshards for gold sellers, something like this would be a better at drawing attention IMO. And yes it would still be clutter but it would be a different clutter.

Victim of Siege, Spiffykeen and kelmo like this.
  14. ApollyonSP

ApollyonSP Seasoned Veteran

No

It gives NEW2 too much power that will be abused eventually, or already

Besides my experience with NEW2 is that the guild leader Freja is severely lacking and a remnant of an old, bygone era, and should step down, with an over inflated ego

SP does not revolve around veterans at all, even veterans come and go

15. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I'm not sure why you act that way. If I remember right, you asked to be a NEW2 leader a year ago or so but I told you no thanks. I don't think I need to explain why :devil:

Do I need more NEW2 leaders? Yes I sure do as we can't be on enough as we all have RL too.

About the book thing, I don't think it's needed as most of the reds who kill a new char will send them to me after, same with the thieves. Also as soon they show up in Gen chat asking for help, some will tell them about NEW2.

If someone want to help with being a leader in NEW2, contact me on your main char and we can speak about it.

#15 FrejaSP, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
    startle and kelmo like this.
  16. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Many players come to this shard unnoticed. They go to West Brit bank and see nobody. They perhaps go on to Luna and see nobody. They start in the Help channel and don't think to try GC, and then log off never to return. When books like this were placed for the NEW guild a few years back, there was a huge increase in the number of people joining during the brief period they were allowed. I do not expect to see anything like that again as the UO population has declined substantially since then, but even one extra player here would be worth it.

Removal of the original books due to complaints from a tiny section of the population was one of the greatest disservices ever done to this shard. If the opportunity arises again, I would urge all Siege players to embrace it.

The books do not represent clutter. At most you need 3-4 of these, like we had last time, one at The Wayfarer's Inn where everyone starts, one at West Brit bank, one at Luna bank (out the way on the table is the best place) and maybe one at a prominent moongate. The books would be dyed a tasteful colour to distinguish them from your average advertising drops (we used mid-blue last time). A single item like a scroll would only have a single line of text and cannot convey the information required like a book can. Below is the text used in the original NEW ones:

New to Siege? by NEW guild

We're glad that you've decided to give Siege a try - the NEW guild would like give you the best possible start!

NEW is a guild unlike most other guilds that you will encounter in Ultima Online. We are not a PvP guild, we are not a PvM guild. We do not roleplay, although several of our members do. We do not form alliances or take part in wars with other guilds. We are, quite simply, here to help anyone who is new to this shard.

Anyone starting up on Siege is welcome to a month's membership of the guild, during which time we will do as much as possible to make you feel at home!

We offer help for all templates and all play styles. It doesn't matter if you want to be a shining white paladin, a damsel in distress, the village blacksmith, or a murderous dictator with an army of minions at your beck and call - we can help start you on your way.

If at the end of your stay with us you have not chosen a regular guild to join, then NEW will help find you a suitable one. Even if you'd prefer to go it alone, feel free to ask for advice and information about Siege. We're here to help!

If you are interested in joining, simply register on our forums and then make a post to let us know. You are also more than welcome to contact me via ICQ.

Please visit our website
    www.siegeperilous.net/new

Shalimar, NEW GM

ICQ (xxxxxxxxx)

kelmo, Troop, startle and 1 other person like this.
  17. the_gooch

the_gooch Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

When i first came to Siege a few months ago i was almost discouraged much in the same way by the apparent no population. NEW2 found me, helped me establish myself and gave me guild recommendations for the 4 templates i chose before sticking with my current template. Basically if it wasnt for NEW2 i probably would of moved on and not have activated a new account. I dont see why anyone would complain about this. Its 30 days of membership and assistance then they show you the door to another guild.

Regarding Hoffs post i like that whole thing except the part about registering to a forum. I think it should say something like go join general chat and ask for a representative of NEW2.

startle, kelmo and FrejaSP like this.
  18. Troop

Troop Sage
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I like the idea and agree with what Hoffs has posted in response. I was here when this was tried last time and yes, it worked quite well. Unfortunately a few people turned it into a mess and the books were removed.

startle likes this.
  19. archiv

archiv Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I was here as well when these books were placed, and I recall the storm it created. They had these books in quite a few other places other than just a few main spots, and again I wasn't opposed to the purpose then either. I even attempted to throw one of them away because I thought it WAS someone selling gold, a very common sight on almost any shard I've played on. And I understand the amount of information in the book is by far greater than what you could fix on the scroll, the PS-type scroll was just an idea as something that would draw attention in a good way. Someone coming from a prodoshard would be more likely to notice that than what could be seen as something else. This was the reason I voted against, nothing to do with anything the guild has to offer. Perhaps a colored talisman, like the mana orbs, with a much more abridged version of information in each of the stat lines, or shields like was done for the recent auction (but have the information proof red before the item is locked down...). Personally I thought the books were an eyesore, but again that's just my opinion on something I would see quite frequently.

20. FrejaSP

I agree, that some kind of welcome to Siege info may be needed, but to make all happy, it do not need to tell about NEW2.

Something like :

New to Siege?
    We're glad that you've decided to give Siege a try - The players on Siege like give you the best possible start!
    There are guilds on Siege, who will help you get started, just join general chat and ask for advices
    Siege are a little different than other UO shards
    Then add some basis advices about how to make it on Siege

21. ApollyonSP

This is exactly what I mean though, you're not a good leader.

For example, the 1 month term limit on new recruits is pretty bad. Like it takes 1 month to get used to siege? No, it takes 1 or 2 years. It takes a long time to get integrated. Also you have a bad attitude, you don't really "help" newbies. And you're not online often enough.

If I were leader I would demote you first of all, until you learn your place. Then I would get a few active guild leaders. Guild leaders should be active. They should be playing and online often, and also should be available to be contacted in case there's a guild problem. Second of all, I would really work hard to get newcomers on their feet on siege. It takes a long time, like I said, over a year. Third thing I would do is create an anti-PK alliance that kills reds and PK-ers, especially anybody who attacks NEW2 members. But if a NEW2 member abuses young status, then it is necessary to kick this person from the guild.

NEW2 players should not abuse the protection of NEW2 young status. As it should confer special, unique privileges on the shard, revolving entirely around getting new players up and running.

You're just out of date and out of touch with reality, veterans need to learn some humility and bow down before new blood.

22. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

okay. I find it very silly that Apollyon thinks this will give New2 too much ''power'' how is that power? Its helping people find a safe spot.. or a little safe.. cause as we all know.. Siege isn't exacly at all safe.. but my point is, people who care, and want this place to grow into a wonderful place that is fun and gets a lil more helpful, a lil more pvp, a lil more chaos, then you need to guide some people. Get them into new2 or offer a suit, something! This gives New people an opportunity to start over, most of them just go to brit see no one or Luna and see no one. Or... they forget they are in the help channel and then think this shard is dead. People if we don't do something, then we only have ourselves to blame, take a moment and think to yourself, have you done something good today? And the other thing about clutter. if you just have a simple locked down book in Brit and one in Luna I don't think that will really clutter anything, then again that is just my opinion.

startle likes this.
  23. ApollyonSP

If NEW2 gets a recruiting/spam advertising book then why not all the other guilds on the shard?

It's not fair to everybody else. Plus Freja thinks too big of herself. She isn't as "helpful" as she leads everybody to believe. NEW2 is hype and mediocre.

24. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

You should be ashamed. Just totally and utterly ashamed.

startle likes this.
  25. archiv

archiv Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I do think they would need to be in multiple places. Crafters do not frequent the places tamers frequent who do not frequent the places Pk's may frequent. At each bank is fine, it's the graphic that bothers me because of what is so common on the other shards. Change the graphic but keep the book. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who is sick of their prodoshard, looking for a new life on Siege. For years you've been seeing those books laying around with websites for searching goods and buying gold. You've learned to block them out, ignore them, throw them away. You awaken in Siege and are met with what appear to be more books. Change the shell to something that would stand out. If something were going to be locked down for all new players to see why not take that extra step to make it something that stands out?

Skunk likes this.
  26. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

*nods* I like your point archiv. Nice argument.

Skunk, archiv and Kattasrophe like this.
  27. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Hmm, can't think where they were then other than the locations I specified previously. I was the one that placed them and I deliberately kept them few in number. Maybe there was one in Zento.

28. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Using anything but a book would require GM/Dev intervention to change the graphic (unless there has been a serious increase in EM powers of late). A book can be locked down by the EM and then removed by him if needed or if some alteration were necessary. Anyway, it seemed to work successfully before with just a handful of dyed regular books. If must be, get the EM to use his super-duper dye tub to produce a colour that no gold seller could ever come up with.

Troop likes this.
  29. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

I would also like to add a point for.

Any guild, alliance, or bush whacking gang of outlaws are allowed to interact with New2 members. Every guild and gang is encouraged to place books with guild descriptions, mission and other such stuff. Every Alliance and miss picked crew of Ne'er do wells is encouraged to engage and take New2 folks out.

I doubt any other "assist guild" has the tenacity and length of service this guild has had. The name has changed a few times. Due to some hard core folk... The Mission of New Guild has never changed.

*signs* I started here with New.

Troop and startle like this.
  30. startle

First, about the books.

I understand archiv's point about all the books on prodo shards from the gold people, etc. However, there is one thing that none of them did - and that was put a book on a pedestal. There's no reason why an EM couldn't use a standard pedestal or stand - with a book on top. Use their "super duper dye tubs" to color them in a way that would be both immediately noticeable and obviously not placed by the book-dropping-dorks. Stick one in The Wayfarer's Inn where everyone starts, one at West Brit bank, one at Luna bank (as Hoffs suggested). Seems to me that would solve the issue....

Now, about NEW2 itself.

I can only speak for myself, but NEW2 played a very helpful part when I first came here last summer. I had played Pacific for 14 years and was well established there, so it wasn't like I was new to UO - simply new to the Siege ruleset and the differences here. I admit to coming here as a Trammie, having never spent time in Fel while I was on Pacific. I was also aware of the inherent dangers in and out of towns and that there is no insurance here.

NEW2 (but mostly Tina/FrejaSP) gave me some minimum needs and access to many training options during those first weeks. I had never paid any attention to GC on Pac, and it was FrejaSP who suggested it as one of the quickest and best ways to begin to get info and find out a bit about the population here... When my month with NEW2 was up, I told her what I was looking for in the way of a Guild - and GIL was one of the 2 or 3 she suggested that fit my needs. At no time did she or anyone else officially representing NEW2 show ANY bias regarding guilds or play styles - and she made it clear from the start that NEW2 was simply there as a way for the new to get a start, and that ALL types of play styles were equal in NEW2's eyes.

So, when I hear ApollyonSP make comments like:
    it does tend to get my dander up a notch or two. Your words concerning how "unfair" it would be for Siege to have a way for the "new" to get an unbiased helping hand when they got here is beyond ludicrous. Your words also make it clear for all of us to see that you have a bone to pick with FrejaSP herself, making your bias against this idea - also blatantly obvious to all who were unfortunate enough to read the comment.

What does make me happy is that according to the poll here, you sir - are in that small, whiny minority that pretty much doesn't like anything...

That's my take anyway.... :cool:

#30 startle, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    MsCC, FrejaSP, Skunk and 4 others like this.
  31. archiv

archiv Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

While (I'm guessing) this wasn't directed at me, I do take offense at being part of the "whiny minority". Probably could have left that adjective out.

32. archiv

archiv Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Combined uber-rare color and a pedestal suggested by startle and it sounds much better than a random book on the ground.
    And there was one locked down at the bank in Delucia previously. Like I've said, I like the idea of having a suggestion in multiple towns (if only people would read the message boards....), just not another piece of trash on the ground. But I think I've made my point previously as have you so all is good.

33. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

From a certain point of view, you could say that all participants of this thread are whiners. Some are whining for something, Others against. Some really creative ones would like to see it take a different form. But we are all whining. No need for anyone to take offense.

I do hear your point about adjectives. Thats something we could all hear from time to time, I think.

archiv and Kattasrophe like this.
  34. ApollyonSP

Does NEW2 or Freja represent the shard?

The answer is simple. No she does not, and should not. Veterans have no more worth than a new player 1 day old. Who cares if you put 10 years into this shard? That means nothing.

This is unfair to other guilds and should not happen. Otherwise every other guild should get permanent books and advertisements.

35. Larry Lee

Larry Lee Adventurer

Well you sure as hell don't represent the shard.
    Ponders = > if you don't believe NEW2 is good for the shard then
    {crazy or just stupid?}

Kattasrophe likes this.
  36. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

A bulletin board locked down would fit in not stand out like a sore thumb. Then every guild will be able to advertise their guilds. Making it fair for all.

37. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

I am wondering what guild you are in ApollyonSP ?

38. FrejaSP

He started in NEW2 as many others, I doubt he would have been here without NEW2. He had alot of questions about template, gameplay and the shard and I believe special Innessa was helping him alot. :)

39. startle

You seem to be angry at NEW2 and FrejaSP, that is apparent to anyone reading the thread... With comments like
    (your words, not mine)
    It's in those last three words, that you express your opinion that FrejaSP's work for the past decade trying to help the new here - MEANS NOTHING?
    I'm here to tell you that it DOES MEAN SOMETHING to the true majority of the people on this shard. If all the people that I know here shared your hopelessly negative opinion regarding NEW2's role and FrejaSP's wonderful work, then I would not stop to let the door hit my arss on the way out. But they don't.... So just keep on trash talkin' NEW2 if you feel like it - but know I'll be here to offer a counter appraisal.

:cool:

#39 startle, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  40. startle

Heck no it wasn't directed at your comment archiv.... In fact I said that I was equally revolted at the idea of regular books on the ground, and that you had a good point. It was your perspective that made me think of a way to get them off the ground and noticed... So thx for that! ;)

archiv and Kattasrophe like this.
  41. Kattasrophe

Nothing But Trouble

Well a statue that hits them in the head should catch their attention :p

42. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Having a good relationship with NEW is every guilds best recruiting tool. And, the one month rule for NEW has been in effect since before I came here, when Shalimar was running it. A couple of people cry foul over fairness and it then it ruins the effect of helping new people to the shard.

43. FrejaSP

The one month rule was made of Luxor, when he started the first NEW guild back in 1999-2001, I did not changes his rules much, when I restarted NEW in 2002, and when I restarted again in it in 2012 as NEW2, her rules had not changed much from when I left the guild in her hands. The guild is almost 15 years old, and had always been supported of most the shard.

We will always have a few who do not support a new guild, but they are few as most want to see more players on the shard. Our thieves, who keep eyes of the banks are very good to help new players finding their way to the NEW guild, so are reds finding them on the fields.
    And yes, keeping eyes on NEW members are a good way to recruit new players :)

NEW/NEW2 belong to the shard and success depend of the support, that be donations, advices, going easy on them, help to hunting.

Kattasrophe, startle and TheDrAJ like this.
  44. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

I've asked for minions repeatedly in general chat, often specifically requesting NEW2 members, and have not had a single response from an actual new person.

Which is fine, they're not at my beck and call, but I don't get the sense that NEW2 is overly full these days.

I say let them lock down their books. Who cares about the power it gives?
    I hope they all turn evil and work against the true Virtues of sideboob and puppies so that there would be an enemy worth facing. More enemies for the grinder.

In all the time I've been back, I haven't been killed once and only two have tried.

In fact, funnel all NEW2 straight into Hand of Doom's guild. Whatever else you have to say about the guy, he's out there stirring up crap and faceplanting for the cause. Too much blab, not enough stab, but points for effort.

kelmo, Troop, FrejaSP and 1 other person like this.
  45. Amber Witch

Amber Witch Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Gilfane

Well I think Siege, at least those that read Stratics, have voted and the votes overwhelmingly are an AYE!

We all know that many of us would not be here if it were not for NEW. A kind hand extended, a kind word goes far. Whereas a harsh word, a harsh action also goes far, although in the opposite direction of course. I thank Freja, Shalimar and all those that served as Guild Leader for what they have ultimately contributed to all of Siege's guilds.

Wulf I have to tell you that every time I saw you asking for Minions my thoughts were that you were looking for easy kills. Being new to Siege and all that I thought I knew about Siege lead me to think that. My apologies for mis-reading that. I owe you a few :pie:

FrejaSP and startle like this.
  46. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

Many notable folk have abstained. I respect that.

47. startle

Perhaps you might consider the way you WORD your requests for ASSISTANTS.... Some may find the use of minions a bit condescending. New or not, I'm certain I would...
    Just sayin...

48. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way

49. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

...Condescending's a pretty big word.

You'd make a good minion.

=]

50. startle