1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A few questions from a totally new player

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Flamecrest, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Flamecrest

Flamecrest Visitor

Hi all,

I've heard a bit about UO in the past and finally decided today to give the game a try. I've set up a 14 day free trial and was wondering about upgrading the trial at the end of the 14 days. Is it easy? Do I just add a payment method to the account? I noticed on Origin they have the SA expansion - one an upgrade and the other for new accounts. Do I just choose the upgrade option?

I'm not new to MMO's (I've played them since around 2003) and was wondering if UO is easy to get into to begin with? I'm quite a fast leaner and always willing to do my research by reading wiki pages etc.

Thank you!

#1 Flamecrest, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    curlybeard and Taylor like this.
  2. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

You can either add your card to the system so it takes the payment directly each month. You can have this setup to charge monthly, every three months or every 6 months.

You can also go to Origin.com search for "Ultima Online" and buy a gametime code. This can just be added to the account when needed. Same again here, you can buy a monthly one, three months or six.

3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome to UO by the way!

4. Flamecrest

Flamecrest Visitor

Thanks for the advice and swift reply!

5. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Yes, for the SA expansion, pick the upgrade only.
    The other one with 30 days won't let you add it to the account you have already created.

6. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Welcome. :)

7. Tamais

Tamais Lake Austin Reporter
    Reporter Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Editor

Both uoguide.com and uo.com both have good guides for a new player. Both cover the two different clients. Also check for a new player center and/or guild.

Lord Kotan likes this.
  8. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

It's quite a steep learning curve - 16 years of added systems tends to do that :) - but no other game comes close for all the options available...

Which shard are you playing? I know on Europa, the meetings of crafters and folks at Brit bank each night are a great source of information, as are the new player house and we also have at least one 'new and returning player' guild, but wherever you are I'm sure you will find something similar.

9. Flamecrest

Flamecrest Visitor

Thanks all,

I've started a Mage on the Europa shard.

Minerva Foxglove likes this.
  10. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome aboard.

The 2 essential sites are here, UOGuide.com, and there's a comparatively new (for UO players that means "within the last few years") guide on UO.com itself, which I freely admit I have not explored at all.

It sounds like you've gotten down the very basics -- how to move, how to talk, how to fight, etc.

I've learned from experience that attempting just to explain things flat out leads to a steep learning curve seeming even steeper than it is. (For example, I've talked for 20 minutes about a simple concept like the recall spell, sacred journey spell, and runebooks -- learning on one's own would've been more efficient.) So better you ask on an ad hoc basis as you encounter difficulties or have questions.

One thing I'll tell you is that New Haven Island can serve you well for a good bit of time.

-Galen's player

11. popps

popps Always Present

If you enjoy playing with the enhanced client, you may want to use also Pinco's UIs, they make the client quite more handy,,,,

DJAd likes this.
  12. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

13. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Welcome, hope you will enjoy UO

14. Lexfixr

Lexfixr Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Great to have you on board -- just remember all of us are here to help -- dont be afraid to ask

15. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Welcome Flamecrest!

16. Flamecrest

Flamecrest Visitor

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I'm going to install the enhanced client today and give that a try. I've also had a quick look at Pinco's UIs.

17. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Welcome Flamecrest ! When you have questions, you've come to the right place....;)

18. Mitzlplik_LS

Mitzlplik_LS Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Just something I`ll toss out there while your new,while I`m sure Europa has fine players,it might not have alot of players. If you want a large playerbase,Atlantic is the way to go. Its easier to change now and start over than it would be later after you have alot of skills built and are established.

19. Minerva Foxglove

Stratics Veteran

Welcome to Europa Flamecrest! if you look for a medium large population with a nice community you have landed right ! New Player House with a free good set of armour and books for first character are a screen south of Trinsic moongate. There are teleporters to all cities and dungeons and other things free to use. Also the bookcases holds lots of small info book about what you need for your first time in Britannia. Welcome!
    The Britain West bank meeting is between 7 and 8 CET every evening. Old players and new gather for a chat and a pizza! Discussions depends what the new and returning people want to know. Some guild leaders are there as well.

The guild that specialice on new and returning players are *HLP. But there are other guilds recruiting people with little experience as well.

See you soon!

20. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

If you are up for more challenge, Siege Perilous are a choice. The shard do have a little different ruleset, http://www.uoguide.com/Siege_Perilous

We are not a lot players on the shard but we do have a nice helpful community, even when we may kill each others sometimes :p
    Our economy are much better, items are payable and a crafter will have customers.
    But yes, we kill each others sometimes but that can be fun too. Not all like that so as I said, it a choice if you like a little more challenge

21. Ludes

Ludes Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Welcome to UO!

22. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Welcome indeed! Always happy when new players join our world! :)

23. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Welcome to our world kiddo. Take your shoes off and sit a while. *plays Hotel California*