1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A Fix 4 LOS/UberOrnies/UberPets

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Pied Piper, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Pied Piper

Pied Piper Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I have an Idea I ran by sum ppl on siege 2day an they said it sounded pretty sound and solid.

Ok UO has changed alot in the past 12 yrs or heck 20 yrs or so right!? Without being too long winded I think the follow proposal prolly has been looked at b4 but if it hasn't then I really do think it can be considered:

I think adding terrain height advantages and disadvantages will fix Uber Drag Prob and add an extra dimesion to the dynamics of UO combat as we know it. In turn will also help tone down skill based items so even though they still are effective it would depend also on terrain heights they are on.

That way theres no nerfing or deprogress of the games development but it would be progress. Because you would be not only fixing the shoddy LOS restictions for Human players, but you would also be evenining the playing field against new pets and current pets.

Heres how it goes (very few other games have used this system of LOS targeting but workss very well, especially in the military)

Mages/Ranged weapons (archers) :
    For every tile that they are higher than their current target...they can cast/attack one tile further.

For every tile that they are lower than their current target...they can cast/attack one tile less as far.

Something to that regard? You guys all see the concept here right!? If pets and players start with the same casting range to begin with or at least more closer than what they are now combined with some kinda concept like above.

Heck then battles will also determine whom has the high ground and you can manuever on the terrain in a way to be able to outrange pets.

What about meleers tho? I thought maybe sumin like this...

Warriors/Melee Weps:
    maybe for height advantage give like sum bonus to either HCI, DCI, or DI? or a combination of them?

and for height disadvantage a lowerining of one or a combo of these? But only against meelers and not archers since the archer will have extra range already?

You guys can kinda see what kind of "concept" I'm talkin bout right!?

What are you guys opinions on this? or your ideas of heaight adv. and disadv.?

I think it would prove rather unique! I'm anxtious to hear your replies and sorry bout my poopy spelling!

~Time To Pay The Piper~

2. Sindris

Sindris Guest

I don't want to poo on your idea, in theory it sounds interesting, but in reality it would just further complicate a system that has worked relatively well these past 11 years. Also, I'm not sure there is enough screen space to allow for the range increases you are talking about. I can just imagine clusters of archers massed atop every grassy knoll looking for an advantage. It would be a bit unfair to melee fighters who have enough trouble closing the gap as it is.

3. Pied Piper

Pied Piper Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Decrease swing speed for mounted archers!? Cmon they gotta keep their balance a lil more when mounted....fidgeting for them quivers and all....

I jus think it would add more flavor...more dimensions...also a truly unique combat system...

Plus one combat system wont and never will last for ever...
    with stealth I hardly think the meelee guys are havin gap probs...Wolf form anyone? Smoke bomb?

4. Doomsday Dragon

Doomsday Dragon Visitor

Not everyone uses stealth wolf form or smoke bombs. My nox fencer only has bandages to heal and weapon specials for an attack no magic or anything.

5. Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Reminds me of this snippet from VG Cats. Heh.

Unfortunately, telling everyone with a melee weapon to spend 300+ skill points on stealth/ninjitsu/hiding so they can move slower will not go down well. There's a reason why the term "stealth archer" is a heck of a lot more common then "stealth swordsman".

6. xStrikerx

xStrikerx Guest

I dont see how this would solve anything. Tamers and archerers would just stand on the high spots waiting for people.

7. Beefybone

Beefybone Visitor

LOL! I was just thinking of the same comic. Here, I'll put it right in the thread.

[​IMG]