1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

a little help from my friends

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Tigsalot, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Tigsalot

Tigsalot Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

ok Siege, you don't like me and I don't like you

that being said I need your stupid help because I'm too stupid to find this.

"Find a short article from your field. Choose a piece written at the highest level of technicality you can understand and then translate the piece for a layperson"

my field is Computer Science and Information and I can't find any article that is appropriate. I don't know if it's the lack of sleep or the fact I'm seeing flying turtles in my room. I just can't find anything useful. Maybe my standards are too high.

now help me, Siege.
    I'll even accept Kelmo's help. I'm desperate!!!

2. Falon of Eldor

Stratics Veteran

write it about pie!

:hug:

3. ChumBucket

ChumBucket Guest

I suppose the first thing we need to know is: what level of expertise do you have? If you are a first year student, a technical manual for linux will be daunting, but if you are a few years into your program, then it may be too simple.

That said, there is a good site at http://www.comptechdoc.org/ you may want to check out. It has many articles that could possibly be translated for the layperson, depending on your level of proficiency. Hope this helps!

4. Tigsalot

Tigsalot Journeyman

I am a junior into it, so these are too simple and I don't know if it's me or they seem easy to understand as is lol

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Is a hot night in Heaven equivalent to a cold day in Hell?

6. why do you have to write an assignment like that? you in an education class?

7. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Go and buy a magazine like PC or Java off the Newstand... choose an article
    not longer than four pages in length. Underline each computer term in the article.
    Then re-write the article with explainations for each computer term you underline.
    Good Luck...you will have about ten pages in length when you are done.
    Believe me, the re-write will sound weird to you when you are done.

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

8. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot

how about that comercial about the guy talking about the gnarly group policies and overriding the something policies ...

9. Tigsalot

Tigsalot Journeyman

for my technical communications class :blushing:

10. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, you need to grab a trade journal, Tigs. Trade journals are targeted to an expert audience in general, and they are loaded with jargon, and terms that it is assumed the target audience is familiar with, and needs no explanation.

Go to techrepublic.com, and I am sure you will find something fast to use for your project. It is not computer science per se (i.e. not theory behind computing, computer engineering - circuit design, etc.) but rather daily nuts and bolts of IT administration. If you need actual computer science theory, find a trade journal targeted to that field. Try http://library.csus.edu/guides/kochism/CS.htm

-Skylark