1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A Moongate Too Far

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Hattori Hanzo, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni TnT/TnA

Serpent's Hold, Britannia - The King's meeting of Governors was held today in an EM house on the Isle of Deeds, south of the City of Serpent's Hold. Most of the Governor's were present or represented by a second. The King's voice resounded in brilliant gold, the hue of which drew several complaints that were promptly ignored by the King.

A number of mind numbingly boring topics were introduced by various Governor's representing their Towns and Cities. A few spectators wandered in and most stuck around to watch or simply fell asleep in their seats.

The King offered each Governor the opportunity to speak in turn. Nothing Earth shattering was decided. None-the-less, there were some reportable moments.

Governor Hoffs, thinking his term is for life, said he needs no office in Skara Brae, he shall rule from his own Gilfane Citadel. Hoffs was reminded by King Blackthorn that a successor may prefer an office actually in the town he governs.

Britain's Governor Bo was absent and the drunken pirate sent in his place was memorable solely for being exceedingly polite... for a drunken pirate.

Someone less memorable requested that town vendors be allowed to accept item donations and then sell them with the proceeds to benefit the town. The idea was politely sidestepped by the King.

Most puzzling was the request by Minoc's Governor to move the Minoc moongate closer to town. The fact that the meeting was hosted near a town on an island, with no land contact to any moongate created a perfect irony.

Some other rudimentary civic comments left little impression on dozing attendees. Even the King was seen nodding as the meeting plodded on. Yet, out of misguided respect, the event was left to continue through all the town representatives.

The most memorable occurrence came during the final few excruciating minutes. A couple of ne'er-do-wells in the crowd began a snowball fight. This was particularly interesting because Governor York was pummeled at his seat on the dais. His offer to take the snowball fight outside was resisted by the delinquent participants as the fight continued. The Sheriff of Britannia is investigating and asked for anyone with information on the identities of the perpetrators to please step forward.

As the event wrapped up, Lord Redbeard made the follow observations, "I can't believe the King expects us to sit through a **** boring *** meeting and does not even offer us any ****ing cake? Where's the *** **** rum and wenches?"

All in all, it was a tolerable experience for the political novice. There were certainly some behind the scenes deals made, as with any political event. But only our trusted politicians would know about that.

Everyone should try to attend these functions as a civic duty. Call it "share the pain night."

DeadBob, Kat, RueTor and 3 others like this.
  2. Barania

Barania Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I was thinking of attending but there was a lot EST stuff going on. The football game in London and the auction which was gonna end...I forgot.

Jack Nickelson

3. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

So the meeting advertised as being on the 30th, was actually today , the 29th ?

4. Alcor

Alcor Adventurer

If you are referring to my report of the proceedings, then I did indeed state the 30th initially. It was almost 2:30am when I completed the manuscript and this bleary-eyed reporter mistakenly put what was the date at the time of submission.

5. Hattori Hanzo

Darn time zones!

6. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

Thank you for attending the event and for reporting your impressions here. I am even more thankful that we have an actual report of the proceedings from Alcor here. I take it that you found little of redeeming value in the meeting, which seems readily apparent by your overall tone...

I do, however, agree with your suggestion that citizens attend these events. Were it not for a prior commitment, I would have certainly been there.

7. Hattori Hanzo

I simply passed along what I observed. Interpretation is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh thank the Gods of Britannia that there was a reporter there indeed. A politically correct version of events is always proper and fitting.

startle, Rizarium and kelmo like this.
  8. startle

Agreed....

Peace bro... :cool:

Hattori Hanzo likes this.
  9. Leperosify

Leperosify Visitor

At first me thoughts this be n odd request as well...
    But me couldn get it out me rotten brain n I festered on it like me sores.

Minoc should be havin her own gate bu... *readjusts a tooth n spittles* but ye right all the gates be far eh?
    So me be thinkin what if she gets her moongate but placin it north of the north end, eh?

This be openin up acces to that there north expanse fer the new adventurers plus provide footsies traffik through that there barteh town.
    I be guessin instead o her gettin her own gate minoc be gettin herself two shared gates.

10. Hattori Hanzo

Lest ye forget that Moongate also serves Vesper.

11. startle

Aye, and that's what I use it for 90% of the time.... But if the gov's asked to move the current one closer to Minoc and THEN add another closer to Vesper, well that's an idea I could sure support...

#11 startle, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  12. Leperosify

Leperosify Visitor

Aye Aye... I did say she be sharin ta gate

But ye have ta be admittin ttat ta current gate be used much more fer Vesper.
    *wipes a blotch of puss off the page & scratches his head trying to remember his point*

Most gates be placed so ta city suburb be between ta gate n' ta mint. Few utter exceptions.
    tis gate works like tat fer Vesper but not so much fer Minoc, eh. Vesper shops bein between ta gate n' ta mint be good fer business.

Plus tere be sooo much land neglected up tere!

In ta end tis is peanuts n dont really address why aint no business in ta cities. Still all the cities be needin more incentive to be good n present citizens.
    Perks fer craftin in town.
    If ya be fillin out BODs in yer local shop ya should be able ta be considered a worker. Tis lets yah access yer bank though the 'equipment chest in a shop'.
    Worker wit ta most units made in ta shop gets his paintin on ta wall fer worker of ta munt.
    Anyting tat be making more people present in ta cities and have a sense o identity in yer City.

Just ideas...

13. mikni

mikni Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I do not want to move it at all. I would like to see another one added in the town of Minoc. An outgoing gate, like the one in Britain would be enough. Another option that I heard at the meeting is to lock down a crystal portal at the bank. That is what I intend to ask for if the moongate request is denied.

14. startle

I like your ideas and agree that there are ways to get people out of their homes and into town more often.... (And not to just to sit AFK at some unmentioned bank)...

15. Hattori Hanzo

The traditional gates should remain where the Gods of Pixel placed them upon the spawn of creation. Yet, talk of locked down portals and new gates of a different hue may be worthy of discussion from a Governor's perspective. I just can't wait for the next meeting!