1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A neat idea for expaninding Forensic Eval.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Viper09, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I always kind of liked the Forensic Eval skill. However I find that it is a tad bit lacking. I think that Forensic Eval should be able to tell us what attack killed the person or what spell.

Such as Bob was killed by Fred with the Energy Bolt spell, or by an arrow, etc.

2. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Definatly, and with enough tracking, you can begin to follow that person.

Bob was murdered with an arrow to the heart, the attacker trailed off to vesper.

I would love to have better detectives.

3. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Now here's a topic that I love...... definitely Forensic Eval needs some added bonus information and Indeed I believe that anyone who has GM forensics and GM Tracking.

I like the idea of being able to track the killer.... and if someone "disturbs" the body it should say something like "Rico disturbed the corpse and removed a pair of ring gloves." Though I think if a GM theif stole something you would only get a % chance at "discovering" the truth..... and you may get something like this body has been disturbed and ring gloves were stolen by an "unknown" thief...

Another thing that could be nice about Forensics would be if you could use it on the living to discover things like..... You examine Rico and notice he is a Legendary Theif and Magic User ..... or something to that effect.... like you could discover the top two skills of someone or even better.... You examine Rico and find he is weak to magic but very agile.... somewhat like you could see that he has no resisting spells but he's got high dex... or if they have low fire resist..... or something....

Forensics might also be useful for things like..... chests..... saying things like Rico opened this chest and removed a scroll of Gate Travel.... Rik Gemtracker dug up this chest and looted all the gems and 5k in gold...... or something to that effect.

4. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I would like to see a "CLUE"-based forensic eval minigame: a list of suspects, locations and weapons as well as a list of clues you can uncover with forensic eval. After investigating, you make an accusation. Correct gives a reward. Incorrect gives a big fame/karma hit. Different towns might have different "sizes" of game (complexity of the puzzle increases as you have more options complexity to consider/rule-out)

5. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

While we're at it, can you have a combo forensic eval/item identification to track down dupers?

I would love to see the useless skills made useful, however!

6. Maplestone

Maplestone Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

"A cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor" {identified} :)

7. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Ah, if these additions were implemented I would create a detective character :D

"Bob was killed by Fred with an arrow.
    With your expertise in tracking you were able to pick up on Fred's trail."

"You examine Fred. Fred is a Grandmaster archer and is responsible for 200 murders."

Then they should just rename Forensic Evaluation to Detective :D

Of course, then they should find some way to implement the bounty system :D

8. rockytriton

rockytriton Guest

I would prefer that they waste less time improving useless skills and focus more on giving useful features. That's just my opinion though...

9. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

What's useless for some is useful and fun for others. One of the best things about this game is the broad selection is skills. You might not like it but clearly others do :)

10. Bruin

Bruin Guest

I just wished we could still use forensic eval to reveal who are thieves and freely attack them.

11. Cear Dallben Dragon

Cear Dallben Dragon Babbling Loonie

FEval could even let you know if someone is in disguise with a kit, i would imagine incognito had to detect.

12. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

I've never hidden that I'm a thief...attack me anytime you like, just don't get angry if I happen to kill you. :)

This is where I'll throw my two cents in and re-suggest the bring back of grey status, in conjuction with a modifcation to FE to allow players to find out if a thief is grey and can be freely attacked...but only by those who use the FE skill, or have been stolen from by said thief...la

13. RichDC

RichDC Guest

I would love to see forensic eval back, since i started on siege ive seen too many thieves and have decided to switch to a detective, just knowing who killed a person means i havent YET put Forensic on my template.

14. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

If we had Devs that actually played the game, ideas like this would have been implemented a long time ago. But instead, some obscure new ability/skill/content will be added soon, that no one asked for, that only leaves everyone scratching their head....Status Quo...

15. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

lol. I forgot that you don't even need .1 in the skill to even use it successfully :p

16. Hildebrand

Hildebrand Certifiable

Sounds like fun

I'm afraid you're right.

17. Stranger

Stranger Lord of the Dance
    Stratics Veteran

I don't know why I am bumping an 8 month old thread. I guess I am bored :)

I have a couple of ideas. I guess you could say they are more PVM ideas.

Idea #1.
    If you have a certain amount of skill clicking a corpse will change its color so you know you've opened it. Having even more skill will make the corpse change to an even darker color if you remove an item from it. This will help you know if you've looted all the creatures when they pile on top of each other.

Idea #2.
    Having Forensic Evaluation and the Alchemy skill will let you create potions that you can pour on corpses to make them disappear. Only when you have exclusive looting rights though and doesn't work once a corpse has gone public.

Idea #3.
    Having a high skill will increase the chance to get special items. Like more daemon bones, essences, imbuing ingredients, etc. Use the skill on the corpse and get a message "You rummage through the body and find an additional item." The chance would be very low though!

Idea #4.
    Make it so you can target and track a certain item. Then if a monster dies and its corpse has that item they will glow letting you know that it has the item. This would be useful if all you want is say the essence from the mini-champ spawns. Or maybe you only want to loot monsters with treasure maps. Or fan dancers origami paper. Or something like that. So you don't have to check 100s of corpses.

Idea #5.
    Remove it from the game! :)

18. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Detectives need some love. Detectives are people, too.

19. Ozymandies

Ozymandies Guest

I thought that at one time, using forensics on a thief could drop the disguise. Not sure if this still (or ever) works.

I think it tells you if someone is in the Thief's Guild. I remember having a detective, revealing a thief and attacking him, but then I went gray. Perma-gray had been adjusted or something. Both the thief and I stopped fighting and paged a GM to get a rules clarification. The GM was clueless, of course.

It would be nice to have some sort of npc/pvm training-type of forensics use. Thieves can steal from chests and monsters, but detectives have nothing.

OZ

20. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Forensic eval can reveal that someone is a member of the NPC thief guild, but I've never seen it remove the effects of a disguise kit.

You do turn grey when you attack a blue thief guild member, but you don't acquire murder counts from killing them.