1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A Public Service Announcement

Discussion in 'UO Catskills' started by Aedon Durreah, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aedon Durreah

Aedon Durreah Village of Aegis
    Stratics Veteran

It has been stated on these forums far too many times that the way to handle or deal with the actions of some is to Mind Your Own Business. I find this statement to be contrary to the ideals of creating and building a stronger community on Catskills.

When we, as citizens of Sosaria adapt the idea that we should be allowed to say anything, or take any actions in spite of the effect it can have on the community at large, we are setting ourselves up as above the rest, and deserving of special note.

The phrase "Mind your own business" is nothing new of course. It has been uttered b children on playgrounds and in all places where those acting for their own good and profit hold court.

Catskills is my business. As it is the business of all of us who play and live within this virtual world. And coping an attitude of "I can do what I want and if you do not support it you must hate me" cheapens any past efforts made to forge any true alliance.

If we truly wish to make the community stronger. If working together to build something strong and enduring. Something worthy of note across the shards. Then we must realize that any actions taken by the one to the detriment of another hurts us all.

I am Aedon Durreah
    And I approve of this message

2. Flutter

Flutter Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

:thumbup1:

3. Giggles

Giggles Forum Administrator
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Campaign Supporter The Squirrel Empire

:thumbup1: x2

4. CatLord

CatLord Guest

x3 :thumbup1:

5. CatLord

CatLord Guest

weird, can someone please delete one of those messages, my computer crashed in the middle of cheering...

6. Pandora_CoD

Pandora_CoD Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend CoD

Aedon for Prime Minister of Sosaria, imo! Heyyyy if the UK can have both a Queen and PM, why not Sosaria? ;)

7. CatLord

CatLord Guest

I thought we already had James...

8. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

*chuckles*

I am oh so guilty of this often. Some say I just forget I posted.

9. CatLord

CatLord Guest

Sometimes i wish I could forget... just not my nature.

10. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

Sometimes Pitr forgetting is the first step to moving forward.

11. CatLord

CatLord Guest

Oh I never stop moving...

Reminds me that old movie...

"we dont stop for anyone"

12. Vallend

Vallend Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

As a player who has worked long and hard to improve this shard and make it a better place for ALL players. I also approve this message and the ideas and thoughts behind it.

13. Scarst

Scarst Lore Master
    Governor Stratics Veteran

Aedon isn't a national he can't be elected to prime minister.

14. Bianca_CoD

Bianca_CoD Sage
    Stratics Veteran CoD

I am confused.

So Pitr just got a new castle, did he purchase the account that holds these buildings? Is that the deal? I just don't understand why couldn't he have just had a chat with his neighbors about his ideas for the castle and work with them? I mean look we all have to live together here, think about it.

15. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

There was nothing passive/aggressive in the message my dear. Just an honest statement for the masses. Too much is being made of little intent here.

There is no secret in the fact that I support the preservation of the history of this shard. I have fought for and worked hard to try to keep some measure of what was built long ago alive. It has been said to me many times that the past is best left forgotten, and new paths should be forged. But I do not see why we cannot preserve our heritage, while moving towards our future.

If caring what happens to the towns built on this shard is a bad thing. if having a healthy respect for the work and sacrifices of others makes me seem in the eyes of some to be passive/aggressive. I simply do not care. Because in the long run, any taunts, slurs or innuendos I must endure to help keep the Catskills I recall alive will be well worth it.

16. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

:heart:

17. Vallend

Vallend Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Let me tell all of you a little story about UO before the lands split in two. You see way back then I was part of a large guild and we had our own player city south of the Justice shrine. We has close to 15 building over a area we controlled and claimed as ours. Well low and behold someone not of our guild placed a house right smack in the middle of our territory. Some of my guild mates were angered by this and wanted the guild to harass this stranger till he moved away or one of us stole his key and home. Calmer heads wanted to talk to him and try and buy his place out or ask him to join our guild.

The calmer heads won out and a small group of us went to meet our new neighbor. He had no desire to sell his place and he already had a guild of his own so he wasn't interested in joining ours. So we returned to our guild with the news and once again some players started plotting against him. Me I took the time to get to know him and found him to be a pretty good guy. I became a friend of his over time and even got invited to his house in another state for a UO players weekend party. (I didn't make the party but those that did had a great time.)

This player not only turned out to be a good neighbor but also helped us defend our territory from attackers and became one of the best PvPers on the shard. He shared his knowledge of PvP with our guild and helped make us stronger.

So boys and girls the moral of this story is just be a good neighbor and give people a chance. It could end up benefiting both of you.

18. outcry

outcry Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

That could be true except in this case we all know the new neighbor does not have good intentions

19. Podolak

Podolak Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I can not speak for everyone in GRI but I believe their intentions in Olympus are honorable and I also believe PGoH has been very welcoming.

I remember back to when I decided to move my RP guild to Trammel and Aedon himself found me a spot in Yew. I believe there are sparks of that same community spirit in this endeavor as well.

It is like when someone or a group of someones moves to a new town, IRL. The existing inhabitants are leery as there are unknowns but they show a warm welcome to put in the best possible chance of a successful transition.

I do not believe anyone in GRI wants to destroy Olympus or PGoH. I also do not believe PGoH is interested in showing prejudice against new neighbors. In fact it seems a lot of the negativism is being brought out by players in neither group.

Let me say this though, I will personally thwart any attempt made to destroy PGoH or Olympus, at least from those in GRI. I see no reason for GRI to create a town within a town and I do not believe that is anyone's intention.

20. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Podo, friend, because you don't pay attention to the politics you really don't see (or maybe refuse to see) what really went on up until the day Pitr got access to Highmoon's accounts. I assure you it's not as innocent as you've been made to think it is. The true intention has been made obvious to the "locals", and no amount of posturing here by two people is going to change that.

Zuckuss was honored because of intergrity with a castle that he has proudly let GRI use as it's headquarters. It's in an excelllent location with sister housing all around it. Ask yourself why this sudden change is being insisted upon by Pitr... if you care.... but please don't defend unless you know what is really going on. Please.

21. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

Podo, there is no negativism going on here, but a genuine concern for the hard work of others. To put this in perspective for you I will let you in on this.

A year ago, I had a member who joined Aegis after leaving PGOH. This person held a large plot in the heart of Olympus. For some reason this player decided it would be fine to not only keep the plot, but to make of it an atrocity within Olympus.

I could not allow a member of my guild to be so petty, and explained this to the person in no uncertain terms. The plot was released soon after.

Olympus, Aegis, Istas, Silverwood, Freehold of Roses, we have all had those not of our guilds living within our towns. Most who move in have bee very respectful of the towns histories, and their design. Some have even copied homes close by so as not to disturb the look of the area.

Olympus, as the largest still standing player town should be held in high regard by us all. This is not something which sprung up out of the ground when someones generosity lent housing to another. It is the culmination of a dream which began years ago in the old lands, and came to settle in Trammel at the beginning of the facet. No one of us should seek to change the nature and make up of this area.

The person holding these buildings has every right to keep them. But they should look clearly at the steps they take while professing to only wish to be good neighbors. They should rethink the load that some of the plans they have will bring to the area. And they should defiantly not design anything which puts forth a purposeful disruption to the grace of this town.

You can call me unfair for my views. Figure that I am out to in someway dictate the play of others. But in reality I am only asking that we give the respect to others that we demand for ourselves and our ideals. You cannot have a sense of community, if you are giving the impression of tearing it down.

22. outcry

outcry Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Ha I was accused of this by the new owner of the Mall of Brit, he sent message to a pgoh member saying it was me... *guess he did not realize I would and never do anything to pgoh* It was my first guild in game long long ago...Hopefully someday you will see the truth Podo until then

Strength and Honor

23. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

You can quote until you are blue in the face my dear, but that will not make it so.If you truly believe that all that is being spoken by all is simply negativism directed at your guild then perhaps rather then point it out, you may wish to ask yourself why.

24. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

Should I use fewer words?

25. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

I have two words, but they aren't very nice :blushing:

26. CatLord

CatLord Guest

This reminds me Aedon last battlecry when Aegis got involved in the story line...

"get out of my lawn?"

27. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

Problem is, this is not Your lawn Pitr.

28. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

Any person alive who sits silent in the face of injustice is a lesser soul. And when words can take the place of violent actions, it is prudent to use as many as need be to try to get the point across.

I am sorry to disappoint you, but I shall not be silenced or censored when matters demand intervention.

29. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

Time will tell La Belle.

And so you do not get or jump to the wrong conclusions. My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of PGOH, members of Aegis, or any other free thinking individual on this shard.

30. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

Translation for the literate among us

Ahem:

Neener neener neener.

I do not doubt her pleasure at you being able to but the homes. and any of us are always pleased when another guild is able to build on what they have started. I just do not think her words spoke to the current situation.

31. Giggles

Giggles Forum Administrator
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Campaign Supporter The Squirrel Empire

I wish someone would buy my account for $3000.00 :(

(not really, not trying to sell it either.. just saying.. man that would be nice!)

Oh look! There's Brad Pit over there!

32. Aedon Durreah

Stratics Veteran

Quoting a person's ICQ message in full is frowned upon laddie. As far as getting off your back goes, I think if you look closely the only thing on your back is your own little monkey.

33. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

*Peeks in*
    What do we have here?
    Oh, just pointless bickering about pixel real estate? Yeah. We're done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.