1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A Question of Advertising and Sales by EA Mythic....

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tangled Metal, May 21, 2010.

1. Tangled Metal

Tangled Metal Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Why is it that UO is no longer sold in Wal Mart? Best Buy no longer carries UO or UO Gametime. It also looks like Game Stop has stopped carrying UO and UO Gametime. In fact, doing a search on Google, the only store I could find selling UO and UO Gametime is UOGamecodes.com

It would seem that advertising and making UO more available would help UO to gain more players. There are several games at Wal Mart along with Gametime for them. So, I just want to know why the oldest longest running MMORPG no longer advertises to anyone except the people who already play UO?

I work in advertising and there is a much bigger return for advertising than not advertising!

2. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I don't disagree with you on advertising and marketing. Yes there is a cost, but in most cases the return justifies the investment. Also there a TONS of creative ways to market and advertise something.

As to boxes on the shelves... this is just to expensive in my opinion. Not just for UO/Mythic/EA, but for a lot of companies. Especially with a 13 year-old product. There is a lot of cost to the manufacturing and distribution of a physical product. Newer titles have the initial funds in the budget, but I can't imagine that the Powers That Be at EA/Mythic can justify it to the board.

I may be completely wrong, but this is what my experience has taught me. Don't get me wrong, I would welcome it 100%, but I understand why there are not UO boxes on retail shelves.

3. Tangled Metal

Stratics Veteran

True. Cost for physical boxes and dvd/cds can get expensive. However I feel the return would be more than the cost. It isn't like EA Mythic is bankrupt they could easily afford to do this. They could even go with the single jewlcase or dvd case and save a ton of money.

If the cost is too much the least they could do is run ads in gaming magazines. I just hate to see UO go by the wayside when it could be a huge Cash Cow for EA Mythic.

4. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Part of the reason boxes stopped showing up was probably because they weren't a cash cow....

Think of it this way, how much were you paying for the last box set you bought.. think 9th anniversary was the last one... $19.99? Jewel cases aren't really that much cheaper, you still have the cost of printing the CD, the case, and the biggie, renting shelf space from the retailer.

Compare that to paying $29.99 for a Download and look at the difference in profit margin.

My advice UO should get on the Steam Network at least then people would see it on a list more often.

5. Tangled Metal

Stratics Veteran

Well maybe a boxed item isn't what is needed. However, most all games both online and stand alone run $59.95 or close. The norm is paying around $60 for the game (and then a monthly fee for the online games) and people are used to paying that. Now gametime is another beast all together. The cost for printing that is quite minimal. I see multiple games using the plastic card with the scratch off stuff. If the gametime was out there it would also be a way to advertise. It could even be used to sell downloads for the game. A card for $39.95 to download the game and had a month gametime included? Hmm, that might work!

6. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron

Not for older games, I think the oldest games I see still on shelves for over $20 are the Diablo II and Warcraft battle chests... those include expansions.. and maybe Everquest.

7. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

*Newbie picks up UO box*
    *Newbie sees graphics*
    *Newbie gasps*

If there was money in boxes they would sell them.

8. rayvowrath

rayvowrath Guest

Knew about Ultima way back in the 80's and used to play it all the time.

Had no clue it was a mmo game until strolling through the electronics department of Wal-mart one day in 2004-2005 and came across a disk for $ 9.99 called Ultima Online Gold. Bought it, the rest is history.

Doesnt matter if Ultima Online is an old game, there is NO good reason for NOT advertising your product unless you are hoping for its demise!!!

Put a few month's worth of $9.99 disks out for goodness sake.

9. Kellgory

Kellgory Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

If each box sold brought in a new player, then it would be worth the costs involved since your getting $19.95 plus around $10 per month for as long as they subscribe. The problem is that alot of the anniversary boxes were purchased by current players for the codes and therefore they really didn't see any dramatic increase in subscriptions. Right now it seems EA is relying on the current players to do the advertising for them through word of mouth. Maybe they should look into revising their referal program which as of now consists of getting a buddy token. How about offering one month free for any new player that you refer that stays x number of months. There are many players that have a hard time sparing extra money to play this game that could probably find a new player or two each month.

10. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

But is it really beyond EA to ship a free DVD of the UO clients with their other packaged games?

11. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Tell me where to send the boxes! hehe
    I have tons of boxed cds of UO i dont need and all have the new code left and i do have tons of new codes from the 7th age !!!

Seriously to make a new CD is pennies, the jewel case is a few more. Silk screening of logo cheap ink cost there is no reason for a box, an inner lable with a code on the inner flap of the tiny booklet of install instructions would run about 2.50$ oh and dont forget the shrink wrap add 10cents. Mythic and EA are not looking to input cash into UO. Bottom line we are a milker and will be discarded when our population gets to the magic number and they can with a strait face say we are a dead game and they are closing us down.

I for one truly wish Richard would buy UO back and even if I had to loose all i had acumullated in the game to play his UO I would just to be in a player wanted inviroment as he made in UO.

12. Tangled Metal

Stratics Veteran

Yes, adding a free cd to every EA Mythic Boxed Product would cost less than $.50 per and could have a HUGE return! Hell, even a small glossy note card with a 30 day free ad could make millions in the long run! Hey EA Mythic, you want to hire an ad guy?

13. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

I guess what gets me is EA as a giant can pump out millions of CD's (have you seen all the games they actually make and sell on the shelves? Sims is alive and well and on the shelves :( and send me e-mails to advertise said games, and as they say....

*whispers* challenge everything....

But they do not challenge themselves.

anyway...

i think if they had boxes right now... it would be disaterous. They need to get quite a few things fixed.....(which i see they are doing) before they begin to consider advertising again.

14. Zalan

Zalan Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

You have to look at the econimics & consumer trend to. Its not so much that EA is not producing CD & Boxes. Its actually the Retail giants. Current consumer trend is more geared at buying platform games(aka consule games). PC games are not the in thing in massive retailer anymore. Retail giants like Walmart have dedicated there shelf space to consule gaming, cd, & dvd`s. Thats why alot of games are no longer produced for just the PC. The only thing that PC has going for it gaming wise is MMO`s. Best Buy may be last Bastillion for getting boxed PC game.

Secondly you have to look at UO`s subscription base. In todays MMO market a 100k player base is not enough to support a shelf space. Next, thing you have to consider is roughly 60% of the player base is probablely Japanese now. If you have noticed they did have an expansion aimed at this regional consumer base. The Japanese player base gets promotions the US doesen`t, & mini transaction items before the US player base. Not to mention shelf space is even harder to get in Japan.

If you think about it UO had 8th, & 9th Anniversary edition. Which was roughly the last boxed sets sold for UO. I rember seeing, & hearing about a people buying them in discount bends. That in itself shows a decline in box sales. & comparing a screen shot of UO with the newer MMO`s isn`t even fair to UO anymore. The people in charge of marketing also track sales, & probable noticed it was no longer profitable. Digital Download, Mini-transactions, & an expansion being launched every two to three years is a good business model for a declineing product. As for making as much profit as possable, & keeping the product a float.

15. Sturdy

Sturdy Guest

Steam is the best suggestion here- get onto Steam!

16. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

They should put free dvds in boxes for other EA games.

It could say.. "UO.. The game we haven't completely destroyed yet. Come play. It's fun!"

17. They don't silk screen CD's. They use CD duplicators that print using an inkjet system. You're right on the cost though. A CD runs around .03 cents, with the case around .05 (I used to copy and sell CD/DVD's for a company I used to run). Once you add in the bulk assembly labor and all is said and done, each CD/DVD that is sold costs roughly .50 cents to produce, and that includes packaging and labor. I'm sorry, but I don't fall for the "EA/M loses money" spiel. I think EA/M's biggest problem with trying to market UO is the fact that none of the stores want it, including Wal Mart.

18. Wrong. It's closer to 25%, and that was straight from Cal's mouth....errr....fingers.....here on Stratics.

Why does everyone toss out so many BS numbers that they pull out of their collective asses? If you're going to quote a number, figure, or percentage, at least quote something that was verified, and not just your best "pull it out of my ass" guess.

19. Experimental

Experimental Lore Keeper

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

When was this posted? There's several high population Japanese shards.. I'm surprised it's not closer to 50%.

21. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master

In light of the recent layoffs EA had, they're cutting costs as much as they can, while not tampering with some neckties bonus, salary and whatnot.

Printing boxes cost money. Having the dvd's created costs money. Shipping of the product from those two points, back to EA for final packiging, more green. Then, they ship them off to a distribution center, where say Wally mart (hate that dump) trucks then have to pick up these games and run them across the USA.....priced diesel fuel lately?? Not to mention toll road costs.......it ads up. Then the product sits on a shelf, clustered amongst thousands of other games, (gamestop example).......it's not worth the cost, regardless of one persons "feel"

Can't support ya here sister. BTW walmart womps, 99% of their junk is chinese made, look at that miley whats her name jewelry that got pulled for containg in highly carciogenic material.

Advertising and buying onlines more feasable. The days of trinkets like maps and gifts or posters is dead.

later

22. Zalan

Zalan Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Its not a BS number I do use the term probabely. I`ve read an article or two that suggest the largest portion of UO player base is Japanese or Asian now. You can`t always believe what a Producer says either.

23. Babble

Babble Guest

I agree with the others though the number is old. Was about the Samurai expension when we asked why Ninjas and not Pirates.
    And they said that half of UO's playerbase was asian - mostly japanese.