1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A Revelation I Had Regarding Imbued Items and Replicas

Discussion in 'UHall' started by GalenKnighthawke, Dec 22, 2009.

1. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

This likely wasn't news to many of you.

But it was to me so I thought I'd post.

I had avoided using Replicas and Imbued items. I liked the idea of having a "forever" suit.

I finally broke down and decided to use some nice Imbued jewelry. (I also have a very nice gift from a guildmate, a very nice katana that's Imbued, which I use for EM events exclusively.)

But as my guildmate and I were gathering components and materials for my jewelry set, the following occurred to me.

If an Imbued item or Replica had 100 durability points. And if I repaired it once a week. And if it lost a points of Durability every time I repaired it. It would still last for about 2 years or so.

Damn near forever, given that both can be replaced given time and effort, and given that game mechanics might change again in the intervening time.

While this argument would in no way apply to repealing or significantly changing item insurance (as it's still hard enough to replace stuff that it'd be catastrophic to lose such a mechanic in an item-based game), it certainly is a salient, powerful argument for using Replicas and Imbued items.

And so...Now I am.

-Galen's player

2. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Welcome to the the "Dark side" ;-)

3. Fink

Fink Guest

Galen, it's not hard to be turned off breakable items by all the hype and hysteria that surrounded their introduction. Once you do the math, or someone shows it to you, it's not all that scary. It's really worth it for the opportunities it affords, with fully custom gear or those excellent replicas.

4. Evlar

Evlar Guest

Welcome to the club then :)

Just one thing though...

[​IMG]

...Be careful on the colours you choose with stains and dyes. Some colours on certain items just don't look right!! :D

5. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Well I think it depends on how much you are bashed around Britainia.

6. Nine Dark Moons

Nine Dark Moons Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

7. spoonyd

spoonyd Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Durr??

8. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

I never did the math, just focused on the fact that they'd go away eventually.

And didn't realize that this "eventually" afforded me ample time to replace them.

-Galen's player

9. Ivorythorn

Ivorythorn Guest

Uh... argghhhh... eyes hurt... brain hurts... guh WHY???

It's yet another sign of the soon to come Apocalypse!

Hello Kitty?!?! Hello Kitty?!?!? We are DOOMED!

10. CatLord

CatLord Guest

Next you go factions!!

11. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

:) That's why those of us who remember the way things used to wear out and be replaced weren't worried.
    A silver vanq kat used to cost quite a lot, but you knew you had time to save up for the next one before the current one gave out, and if you were lucky and could hunt the right creatures, you might get one yourself and not need to buy.

12. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

i have some nice imbued jewelry i've been using since beginning of october. it's now 253/253. and i fight a fair bit.

yeah, i think i can afford to buy new jewelry every five years.

13. Evlar

Evlar Guest

The good thing though, was they fixed the decay rates early after SA launch. Anyone who will have fought the goblin alchemists and seen items drop from 255 durability to zero in a matter of seconds will tell you that was a good fix ;)

14. longshanks

longshanks Guest

qft.

a 255/255 durability piece should last you a good long while. long enough that farming up the necessary ingredients to replace it is of little issue.

15. UOKaiser

UOKaiser Guest

Guess it really depends on what you fighting and what you using.
    Mages items will last long as hell. Sword,mace,fencer dexter or sampire item will last very short. Weapon will be gone in a week if taking on peerless or champ spawns. Jewels will be the last to go.
    Archer and trowing dexters still stay away from creatures and people so there items will last between mage and close up fighters. Tamers will last as long as mages. All of them will last 1 day if they decide to fight acid puddle creatures or intern grizel peerless or tokuno spawn with all those turtle acid things and solens if the person has a hard tiime moving.

PVP don't fight like a creature mindless pounding on our little character so there items will in general last longer than PVM Players.

So it really depends on your character and what you do with that time.

16. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

The benefits far outweigh the disadvantages imo. We've got to almost 100% imbued stuff and arties. We have a few replicas like the Lieutenant's sash.

17. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Already been in Factions on 3 or 4 separate occasions during my UO career.

-Galen's player

18. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Not if they know how to repair their items properly.

And jewels actually can go faster than Armor just because GM Tinker scrolls have a chance of failing to repair.

19. UOKaiser

UOKaiser Guest

I find that they get hit less often though but I guess everyone experience might be different.
    My week estimate is pretty close. Many people I play will chain solo peerless 10 hours or more a day for a week straight during that time there wepons are pretty decimated in max durability.

20. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Oh, they definitely get hit less often, but failing a repair is -250 durability basically

Well yes, crazy people built like machines could technically break them in a week :p. Honestly I personally cant comprehend being able to do that though.