1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A small Butcher Rant

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Duncan McDermott, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Duncan McDermott

Duncan McDermott Seasoned Veteran

Why is it that the devs make getting holiday stuff so difficult? What I am saying is that all players young and old should be able to get the holiday items. Tools and pumpkins and or other holiday items of all holidays, instead of the most experienced so they end up selling them for large amounts of gold?
    The example I am giving is the Butcher in the graveyard. He draws a large amount of spawn and he is a fairly high hit point mob. The Grimm is a bit easier in that it is only him you have to fight. But a young player with newbie gear and maybe low skills/stats won't get either.

Everybody should be able to enjoy at least one holiday item. Maybe just put a common item in your pack and if you want to try and get other varieties that would be your option. Just don't make the holidays so difficult everyone can't participate. Ok rant over.

2. Restless

Restless Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

anyone can participate in the trick or treat. although I wouldn't personally call the butcher difficult, there should be different things for varying character development. the majority of the players nowadays are pretty established, this isn't much of a new player game. but like I said, trick or treating awards items, some of them worth more than the pumpkin carving kit, and anyone can participate there.

3. Conleth

Conleth Journeyman

I posted about this not long ago. Concerns for new players that is. I have to agree with the original poster, particularly as UO is going to steam. We could really use some new blood.
    Cheers

Duncan McDermott and old gypsy like this.
  4. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I would like to see the hallowen event again, where we got the black cats, the scarcraw and the custumes, think that one was easier for the young guys

#4 FrejaSP, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  5. Krinkle

Krinkle Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

You can't expect new players to solo content that was created years back. It was meant as a group activity at that time.

6. Angel of Sonoma

Angel of Sonoma Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

i too would love to see this event return. i had so much fun running through the dungeons finding sparklies.

7. Lord Arm

Lord Arm Seasoned Veteran

what about getting something that can kill u? stuff too easy.

8. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Meh, Butcher is a mid-level monster. Grimm is low level. It's ok to mix it up. If they were boss level, fair point, but they really aren't that tough.

Cupid likes this.
  9. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

Of course, the dungeons were a bit less dangerous then. I don't know how well a new player might fare today.

10. Duncan McDermott

Easy for you perhaps but try it on a newbie with training gear. Everyone says we need new blood but the devs really don't add anything in the game to encourage new players to stick around. The butcher itself is a mid level but the spawn he creates adds up. I was using that as a point to make.

Conleth likes this.
  11. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

While it is certainly important to reward new players, there is still merit in awarding those who have went the extra mile to invest in skills and suits as well as taking the time to assemble a group. Rewards for those who stick around long enough and invest time in the game is equally if not more important than handouts to everyone. It creates an incentive and something to work towards and look forward to.

Duncan McDermott likes this.
  12. Duncan McDermott

You went right to the money aspect of the reward. a pumpkin sitting on the steps of a newbie or young player is probably what makes the person feel good. the trick or treat rewards(at least to me) are just fluff in my pack. Just my opinion and probably not worth much to players that have maxed out characters and take for granted how easy it is to get these rewards.

13. Duncan McDermott

Not disagreeing with that at all. Just that not everyone has all that to participate to that degree. I think there should be levels of reward for different tiered players. We all pay the same money and yes some have paid more than others. With a tiered system we would all get something to show for our efforts. Some of us didn't have the ability to continue paying and playing for the lifetime of the game. Those that are just entering the game shouldn't be made to feel like outcasts because they do just start to play.

Zuckuss likes this.
  14. Restless

Restless Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I mentioned the money portion since you did "Tools and pumpkins and or other holiday items of all holidays, instead of the most experienced so they end up selling them for large amounts of gold?" and my intended reason for mentioning it was to say that someone could do the trick or treating and trade some of those items for pumpkin carving kits or the pumpkins. players do collect the rarer of the trick or treating rewards. I know people like to collect the full sets of the heads on sticks

15. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Take all that super powered gear your using off and replace it with GM armor and weapon, things will get challenging again.

16. Duncan McDermott

I wasn't attacking you. sorry if it seemed that way.

Restless likes this.
  17. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

My encounter with the Butcher on Siege.....*whack whack*...Revenant.....*whack whack*..Revenant....*whack whack*..spawn....*whack whack*...Revenant......rinse repeat...got 2 kits...done with it now.

18. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I could kill them on a newbie, it might be hard (as it should be) , but I could do it. Definetly easier with some templates than others of course. Two newbies teamed up could kill them for sure, why is soloabiliy the measure of a monster?
    Pretty much any newb could take a grim, they aren't strong. They could sell or trade pumpkins for kits if they couldn't kill butchars.

Really though if I were a newb I wouldn't expect being able to solo event monsters, even if I could, I would view it as a challenge/acomplishment.

Kirthag likes this.
  19. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

There is really zero reason for anyone to be using gm gear. You can get vastly better gear off of ettins, and other very weak monsters, and you could buy an imbued suit for not all that much when you consider how easy it is to make gold.

20. FrejaSP

Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I'm damn tired of this Revenant too, not hard to kill but I rather see the Butcher spawn 4 liches more often as they are more fun to fight. 4 Liches casting on you at same time can be deadly. A Revenant is not deadly, just damn annoying.

21. Merus

Merus Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

I'm having a little trouble following your logic in this thread.

Halloween this year:
    Trick or treat: anyone can participate...
    Grimms: Easy enough to kill that even a budding new characters can defeat them.
    Butchers: Mid level mob that requires at least some level of ability to kill. Recommend for more developed characters or groups.

You seem to be complaining that the Halloween content isn't just handed out like candy (ya, I said it). Best I can tell the holiday content has something everyone can participate in whether you are new or old, you just may need to find some friends to participate in the more challenging content if you are new (as opposed to doing all of it solo). Seems perfectly fine.

Then you go on to complain that the devs don't add any content for new players so they have no reason to stick around. All I can say is WTF?? There is TONS of stuff in UO for new players to do... and the idea is to build up your character. Are you really complaining that there are peerless level encounters for new players to solo? If a butcher is to hard for you to solo, how about looking at that as something to work toward? THAT is what the devs have added that gives new players a reason to stick around. If all the content was soloable on day one by a new character THEN no one would have any reason to stick around.

Uvtha likes this.
  22. Scribbles

Scribbles Babbling Loonie
    Professional Alumni

My only complaint is not having the player named bones... My favorite Halloween event by far.

The other rewards are meh to me, but i can see players liking them.

However, I will say this halloween was just a quick fix for a dev team that just released an expansion that still has bugs. They simply didnt have time to do anything new or exciting. Which isnt a bad thing, im actually glad they prioritized and compromised.

Lorddog and BrianFreud like this.
  23. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

Kyronix spawned on top of the Yew crypts and I can't get him to come down. All the rant I got

Kolka likes this.
  24. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Someone has to say it ... *****, *****, *****, *****, *****. Why do some of you even play this game the ways you endlessly ***** about it? If you find it so bad, go elsewhere and let the rest of us enjoy playing the game WE happen to really like. Sheesh! :bs:

S_S and kronides like this.
  25. Kolka

Kolka Babbling Loonie
    Professional Campaign Patron

If you are on GL, I think I have a rune for there. Seems a shame to leave a Kyronix un-killed.

26. FrejaSP

Kyronix did that too on a house at Vesper GY yesterday on Siege :p

27. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

Playing Legends atm. :( He'll come down after reset. Plenty of graveyards around

28. Dizzy

Dizzy Seasoned Veteran
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Benefactor Treasure Hunters

Where do you find small butchers?

29. Lord GOD(GOD)

Lord GOD(GOD) Lore Keeper

http://stratics.com/threads/how-hard-is-it-not-very.351885/

Considering people are doing the new Champ, which results in gold on the floor, and the quest, which involves killing champs, which results in gold on the floor, it's really not hard to get going for any player.

Threads like this annoy me, it's like someone saying 'I need an Orny (firstly, no you don't) but I can't do Doom (actually you could, people did it on 7x GM's and still can), therefore Doom is too hard for average/new players.' The rationale is stupid, and if (forbid) anyone ever took it seriously all you'd achieve would be making an unchallenging game even less challenging for those that have built themselves up. What are you going to aim for when you want everything at baby level? If you want to do everything with zero effort play test center.

#29 Lord GOD(GOD), Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015