1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A Step Back?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tunechi, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Tunechi

Tunechi Adventurer

How nice would it be to take a step back? Out of the Duped, Item based game play that is going on today.. Back when people fell in love with Ultima Online and its player base was through the roof.. I'm talking about needing Reagents, Random special hits from weapons, Chaos and order guilds, Stealing was an actual use full skill, Factions, One Facet only! This is why i'm suggesting making one new shard pre aos. I Believe in doing this it would put a spark back into the UO community and build back up its player base.. Yes i know there are "FREE" shards like this but they're not the same! I know this seems like it would be taking a step back, but in reality i think this would make a big change and besides it would only be one server... I would love to hear some feedback on this idea from other players and staff.. Even more love to see this happen in the near future!

2. Kojak

Kojak Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

and they could add a new monster to the game ... a dinosaur - hehehehe

3. Surgeries

Surgeries Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

And don't forget the horse...the old flat one...

This one...

:bdh:

4. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

There have been so many discussions in the past about a "classic" shard. I would not object to it being available for those who want one, but it isn't going to happen.

5. Vlaude

Vlaude Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Sounds good to me ;)

6. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

going backwards is not going to be the answer! Its way to late for that and we have been told they are not going to do it so the whole question is moot!

7. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

this......again

8. Gorbs

Gorbs Sage
    Stratics Veteran

No, we've been told they weren't going to do it last spring. Posts about it on stratics don't help the classic shard cause though. I'd recommend if you are interested in it, tweet the UO producer. Also, when cancelling an account, you may want to include as a reason for closing the lack of a true, classic shard option.

9. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

No thanks. It wouldn't be fun anymore. It was fun because it was novel, and there were lots of cool people playing.

10. Thimotty

Thimotty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

"...player base was through the roof..." because it was the only online game back then. It is far better now!

11. kleos

kleos Guest

Its funny because it's gone from preUOR to preAOS.

12. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Personally, I would like to see everything taken from UO as it is, rebalanced accordingly, updated technologically (It can remain isometric, but there's SO MUCH MORE that could be done than what we have now even in iso), and re-released with everything distilled back down into things that make more sense.

Don't get rid of the content, separate the servers by playstyle (non-con PvP servers and Consent-only PvP servers, or revamp the world so that the main portions remain Consent only with an area like T2A being used as a complete free-for-all non-con mass arena.

Create a Consent-based PvP system that has actual substance behind it for those who want to get involved, but allows non-PvP characters to be important as well.

Finally get a GM/CS staff trained up to remove contradictory answers to ingame issues and with a staff willing and able to proactively handle ingame problems.

The past is gone, it's not coming back. UO should move forward in ways to improve the game for everyone.

13. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

This. I don't want to see UO step back... I want to see it go sailing into the future.

I'd like to see the day when UO had ONE client. A truly enhanced client backed by updated graphics... and bring UO back into the future...

Sure they could have a server just for folk with bad computers running the old clients but don't let them hold the rest of us back.

14. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

To quote Billy Joel:

"The Good old Days weren't always good
    Tomorrow's not as bad as it seems."

The more I hear of "old" UO, the less I feel I would have ever played it.

15. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I don't think a Classic shard would hurt at a later time, When UO has "a step ahead" first.

I know I would play it, but I also know I wouldn't even consider making it my primary shard.

16. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Just lock this thread now before it travels down the same tired, worn path. :wall: :bdh:

17. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

This is what I asked him today!

@Jeff_Skalski I would like to put to rest is classic shard going to happen in UO? This question keeps popping up once in a while!
    Jeff Skalski ‏ @Jeff_Skalski Close
    @Snowdog65 I have no plans to do a classic shard at this time.

18. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Shards just need a new land. Can only get there naked, walking with empty bank box. Loot with mods are far and few and no to little gold. Silver ocins could be used for NPCs and player sales. With very little gold players would be hard pressed to insure a few items. Runic tools work only by public forge and half powered.