1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A trip down memory lane?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Petra Fyde, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I was checking out what still needs to be updated, this really made me smile so I thought I'd share it. It's the contents of a level 3 treasure chest.

2. KalVasTENKI

KalVasTENKI Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Pre-AOS :heart:33

OSI would make so much damn money if they made dedicated West and East coast Pre-AOS shards... *cough cough* Those damn communists!! * cough cough * It will also bring alot alot alot of community back. Even though UO is going in a great direction it would just top the cake with whip cream.

3. Magdalene

Magdalene Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

*sigh*
    Good times.

4. Froden_UO

Froden_UO Guest

That is a old, I found an old slayer weapon that was labled: "A Magic Large Axe" Ophidian Slayer

5. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

I miss those old days when item ID was needed and even the names of weapons and armor added (more) depth to the game. What it is now is just generic at its most basic form.:thumbdown:

6. Scarst

Scarst Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I want them to bring back teleportation rings! or better yet make them rechargeable with rune switches and give those things an actual use I mean who actually uses them on talismans all that often.

7. Potgut

Potgut Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I want them to go back when there was dirty bandages, power hour, moon gate phases, no rune books, no pet ghost/resurrection, no gumps for crafting, no interior decorator, no insurance, and no house customization.

8. Back in those days people would turn in (sell) items to the provisioner. If you had item ID you could pick out the good items and purchase them for 50 gold or whatever the provisioner charges. Macing weapons were especially likely to be good since not many did macing in those days. I remember my first silver bow off a water elemental that spawned outside my house, I was so happy (it wasn't really very good but better than I had at the time). You couldn't tell what an item was without it (or id wands). Remember the id wands? Funny, I tried some of my id wands on unraveling items and it doesn't give the information you get from item id.

9. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

No they wouldn't.

You see, as has been explored in each and every thread dedicated to the tired, oft-retreaded topic of a custom rules set shard, almost everyone wants something slightly different, and vehemently suggests that everything other than their own personal vision would somehow not count. Please don't bother to deny this, if this thread continues in the direction your post has pointed towards, you'll see soon enough.

Oh I'd also like to remind everyone that resurrecting the pre-AoS code also means resurrecting multiple annoying buts, including but not limited to the zero-damage spell bug. (Anyone remember that one?)

At the most, what will happen is that such a custom rules shard will create a small sub-set of players who will pollute boards of general interest with shard-specific issues. And that's the best case scenario.

-Galen's player

10. KalVasTENKI

KalVasTENKI Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Well they would resurrect the Pre-AOS code , but they could fix bugs. I'm sure it's very possible to do that, being currently having player ran Pre-AOS servers and what not. I'm sure it's very possible to make things run properly..

11. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

:talktothehand:rolleyes:

12. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

:party:
    :eyes:
    :pint:

:pancakes:

13. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

And it begins....

A custom rules shard, which uses old code, but with bug fixes that they were unable to come up with when everyone was playing under that code.

-Galen's player

14. Fink

Fink Guest

A friend of mine had a prized piece of armour .. I can't remember what it was exactly but it was named something like "a massive helmet of hardening". I didn't understand the significance of it until he explained it was a double entendre. :twak:

15. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

The really funny thing is that I agree with one very important underpinning of the custom shard proponents' argument....And with the implication of Petra's initial post.

And that is this: With AoS, we lost a lot more than we gained. We would have been much better off had AoS added to, rather than irrevocably changed, existing systems.

The difference is that I recognize that no good will come of trying to go backwards.

When I write this, it's the early morning hours of 1 December 2009.

UO came out 25 September 1997.

Age of Shadows came out 11 February 2003.

(Source on the launch dates is the Wikipedia. Not the best source for anything, but hey, it was there.)

Approximately 81 months and some days from AoS to now.

Approximately 64 months and some days from UO launch to AoS.

AoS has for some time now been with us for over half of our history. It should be clear that it's not going anywhere.

Petra's post was nostalgia. Nostalgia is one thing. The immediate reply to Petra, however, was an overstated demand to return to a distant past which is by definition unrecoverable, and about which we often found much to complain about back when it was present, not past. And to boot it used politically laced, flame-baiting terms. ("Communist?" Come on now.)

And that's a very different thing from Petra's benign nostalgia.

-Galen's player

16. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

And yet you find the need to go onnnn and onnnn and even quote yourself to disprove (or whatever it is you keep blathering on about) the ONE post in this thread that didn`t go with the whole nastalgia theme. :thumbup:

Yes! I remember getting some great weapons off NPC`s and like you said even a couple awesome macer weaps. I used to love macing when you could literally destroy your opponents armor,lol.

17. Jermosh

Jermosh Guest

This, I really miss the rush of iding my loot with the hopes of scoring a Silver Katana of Vanq. I would spend like 15mins or longer on a lvl3 chest.

18. five oclock

five oclock Guest

Dang....the many hours I spent with my T hunter back in the day..thanks for the memories ;D

19. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

Remember the original blessed items? 100 charges, lasted 2 minutes (I think), used charges automatically as you wore them, and added 10 points to each stat. Add Dex and Strength potions and this was huge. I knew a bounty hunter who used them and made him almost invincible. Most players didn't realize they did this, or didn't think it through how powerful this was in combination.

20. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

-Galen's player derails another thread.

21. Meadow2

Meadow2 Guest

Wow you just want nothing to do with modern day convinces huh hehe

I love all those changes. Makes things so much easier. Although i have no idea what you mean about moon gate phases... Could someone explain to me what this is?

22. Fink

Fink Guest

The phases of the moons (Felucca and Trammel, use a spyglass to see them) used to dictate where the public moongate would take you.. so you had to wait for the opportune moment to go where you wanted.

23. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

I don't know about anyone else, but for me for some reason, sometimes the moons would only correctly align for a second or two, and by the time I entered the gate it would have already switched over again from what it was a moment ago.

Also sometimes some gates would lock on a particular location for hours.

-Galen's player