1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

A wish for brewing/distilling

Discussion in 'UHall' started by virtualhabitat, May 6, 2011.

1. virtualhabitat

virtualhabitat Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

So, irl I am a beekeeper. It's a hobby, as I only have four hives in the back yard. This summer I was planning to take about 10 or 15 gallons of honey and make some mead.

I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if we had the beekeeping skill and it might fit in with cooking and mead-making. The basic art for beehives, honey, and wax already exists and a beehive could be tended with a similar interface as the plant system. At least it's a start.

Thoughts?

2. Hunters' Moon

Hunters' Moon Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

I would love to see this implimented into the planned distillery/brewing idea. Not to derail the thread,but I also hope that they will allow us to also make rum,so there will be use for the sacks of sugar.

3. AzSel

AzSel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I like it.

4. Cailleach

Cailleach Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I'll sign that. Wonderful idea :)

5. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Beekeeping well the hives were given out with the spring cleaning last time so the hives are available.... and as for brewing even some beers have honey as a sugar added in.

6. virtualhabitat

Stratics Veteran

On further reflection, It might be possible to create a way so that having a beehive within a given distance from growing plants (10 - 15 tiles?) might increase cross-pollination success.

There is a woman in my guild who was talking about cross-pollinating just yesterday. Bees do this as a matter of course.

Perhaps a resource boost from both plants and beehives if they are located within the same area. (more honey/wax and more seeds/ petals/thorns)

I know my garden would not be as productive without bees.

It's only natural, after all.

7. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

What a fascinating idea! I'm for it! Anything that helps promote making the game more interactive and fun is good for me.

8. nynyve

nynyve Guest

Not sure about adding the skill, but I love the idea of making mead from honey. Of course, if we wish to be environmentally friendly, we should plant bee friendly plants around us.

May I recommend the introduction of the following plants into UO:
    Lavender
    Rosmary
    Bee Balm
    Salvia
    Hyssop--I especially recommend mine, which is both blue and pink
    Dianthus
    Roses, both climbing and shrub varieties
    Helianthemum
    Russian sage
    Tulips
    Crocuses
    Blue bells
    Malva
    Thyme
    Digitalis camelot rose in white pink & purple
    Digitalis Thapsi--small, dainty, with yellow buds and pink flowers.
    Phlox--in different colors (just the flowers, not the foliage)
    Dogwoods and other flowering trees.

And those clouds of blue flowers that are in planters in Ter Mur.

Yes it is Spring in Virginia.

Just to name a few. I will be more than happy to set a good example and plant these so that the bees of Britannia will flourish.

9. virtualhabitat

Stratics Veteran

I was thinking about my original words. Perhaps "skill" was poorly chosen.
    If it were a skill, it might be too complicated and costly to develop.

If it were made similar to the plant system where anyone could do it -that might be more suitable and doable.

10. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

I love the ideas here and the tie in with the gardening is wonderful if the Dev pick it up and run with it.. the resources from many plants would make it very needfull for the gardener to help the brewer to make his or her product as in rl. Hops, vanilla, rye,etc.. all could be added to the gardening chart and the produce to the brewer and chef menu....

11. Lord Essex

Lord Essex Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

:thumbup1: Awesome Idea, I'd love see mead worked into the game!!

12. Ashlynn_L

Ashlynn_L Lore Master

I would love to see blue bells added as one of the plants. And sunflowers. I love sunflowers, they are a happy plant.

13. soulstoner

soulstoner Guest

yes! ... and to make use of the other 3 paragon choclate ingredients .... cocoa liquor, cocoa butter, & vanilla to an end product maybe similar to Godiva choclate liqueur type fancies ... and have these concoctions provide some buffs to keep long-term interest.
    :pint:
    • Really desire the interest to be long lived so hoping for buffs of sort to be associated
    • Always hoping for something to transpire to make good use of those dag-blasted choclate ingredients that don't stack...choco-turds just don't cut it.