1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

About that secret project

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Hemisphere, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Hemisphere

Hemisphere Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Not that it's particularly relevant to anything these days, but for those who were following the cancelled secret project a few years back, I finally found some solid information on it:

Found it on the EA Games section of the Critical Mass website: http://www.criticalmassinteractive.com/clients/EAGames/EAGames.html

Sorry if this is old news!

2. hawkeye_pike

hawkeye_pike Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

While this certainly does look good, I remember that one of the development team (was it Draconi?) once said: UO contains such a mass of different items (millions) that redesigning all of them in 3D would be a project of gigantic size. That's one of the reasons why Stygian Abyss will use the existing artwork. (I hope I remember correctly.)

UO seems not to have the budget to finance a complete remodeling of all in-game artwork.

3. Hemisphere

Hemisphere Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Actually UO has around 16,000 items, but that number is also incredibly misleading, because for example one style of wall or floor = around 10 items, one spell animation (for example fireball) counts as like 30 items, some items are multi tile (for example a pentagram and an abbatoir both count as 9 items), and there are MASSES of items which are either "bits" of another item, some combination of two or more items into a single graphic, very simple variations of another item, or simply another graphic resized (like monster statues, armour, and weapon graphics)

In all I'd be quite surprised if there were more than 2000 completely original art resources required to build UO's complete library of statics.

4. AdamD

AdamD Guest

I can't imagine how nice UO would've looked, if they'd actually gone ahead and finished it.:sad4:

5. It was ghastly.

6. Fink

Fink Guest

As for art compatibility when going fully 3D, I've always thought it's really mostly house decoration that has that optical illusion effect when stacking & arranging items to look like other items. As such I thought a toggle on the house could change the player's view to a default isometric camera angle. Basically, when entering a "legacy" decorated house, the owner can opt to have visitors view their house interior at the correct angle.

Much easier to hypothesise than to put that into action, though. There would still be a plethora of issues of compatibility, plus all those nifty "illusion" houses would fall apart if viewed at the wrong angle.

7. Jhym

Jhym Guest

*shrug* "Legacy support" is used as a blanket excuse in the software industry, to avoid doing hard work.

They could have easily switched us by, oh I don't know, telling the decorators to build other displays.

I know some people spend days putting their special mosaic dedicated to Boba Fet into the game, but would they be so devastated that they'd leave if they had to redesign it in 3D?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

In any case, I really think EA should just bite the bullet and force us into a new client that lets us view 3D (not isometric 3D.) Otherwise, they will be continually revamping the 2D client until 2032 when the world ends.

:yell:

8. hawkeye_pike

Stratics Veteran

Uuuuuh... that sounds like the most creepy workaround feature... I'd never implement such a thing.

9. hawkeye_pike

Stratics Veteran

Actually, I belief that many people (including myself) prefer the isometric view. UO isn't a 3D shooter game like WoW or Darkfall, and it never will be. I always preferred isometric view. First person view makes me sick.

10. Tomas_Bryce

Tomas_Bryce Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, most people would definitely quit if they made it "real" 3D. I hope that answers your question.

11. Littleblue

Littleblue Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Looking through the artwork displayed on that page, I see a *blue* Futon!

I want one! :)

12. canary

canary Guest

*cries*

I want THAT UO.

13. canary

canary Guest

I wouldn't say 'most'... its never wise to ASSUME things.

But if you DO want to assume things, how many NEW players do you think this would draw? I'd say it is quite possible we'd end up with MORE subscribers.

14. Sir_Bolo

Sir_Bolo Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yes it is old news :lick:

speedman spilled the beans about the secret project in a post on his blog on the 10th anniversary of UO.

15. Capricious

Capricious Guest

I was invited to the UXO thing in SF. I had a blast and honestly I was excited about the game. It was really beautiful in my opinion