1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Active Meditation and Bardic Masteries

Discussion in 'UHall' started by sablestorm, Jul 25, 2010.

1. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Is there any chance you could make it so bards could actively meditate while using a bardic mastery? Just imagine Gregorian monks singing while they meditate upon their prayers if you need an image of why this could be so.

2. Barry Gibb

Barry Gibb Of Saintly Patience
    Stratics Veteran

This would be like asking to be able to actively meditate while casting spell. This is a poor idea and I do not expect it to go very far. The Bard Masteries are very powerful already, this would push them well beyond the edege.

Stayin Alive,

BG

3. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

My bard just came active so I went and got the mastery. I used it all of 10 seconds. It blessed me and healed the hit points to reach my new strength. Then it ended. It wouldn't be all that useful to me as it is and I know others have had similar complaints. It uses up mana too quickly to be effective.

4. Dryzzid of Atlantic

Dryzzid of Atlantic Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

There are changes in Pub 67 that will help with mana consumption.

5. Saris

Saris Guest

why not i can meditate while casting spellweaving, but then again NO. :p

6. chuckoatl

chuckoatl Guest

you can activly meditate the minute I dont need tactics to do specials and can toggle specials and cast... kk? Thanks for coming.

7. sablestorm

sablestorm Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Out of curiosity, do all you naysayers have bards, specifically a provoker who tried to use the invigorate ability? I say again, this ability blesses you and then uses up mana to heal those in your party. The only problem is, as soon as I'm blessed, I use up all my mana healing myself up to my new hit point level. Then the ability ends and there is no benefit. It's basically the equivalent of a newbie mage casting bless spells on everyone with no evaluate intel, so the effect wears off extremely quickly. Mind you, this is an ability that requires a GM skill and one that is one of the more arduous to train up.

Incidentally, my bard has an 80 intelligence so I should have some mana to make this a viable ability to use.

Dryzzid, thanks for the heads up. I didn't notice any notes in Publish 67 about this. I'll go looking for it.

Saris, Chuck, you're talking apples and oranges here. Make a provoker on Test Center and try out the invigorate ability. Show that you know what I'm talking about here and don't just pull out examples which have no bearing on the issue I'm discussing. Spellweaving spells and combat specials are still useful. Invigorate is not.

8. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Sable, two words, lich form.

Hehe :). Niche templates for the win.

9. Thimotty

Thimotty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Bard specializations are absolutely useless in pvm as they are. The only template that can use them is pure bard mage and even they run out of mana within a seconds. All other templates either don't have enough mana to sustain them even a second after casting or at top 1-2 seconds. Absolutely not enough to make any difference and all that mana is usually needed elsewhere.
    The whole system needs revision. Either make them one time cast with effect timeout or reduce the mana requirements to 1 (2 for disko) mana per seconds, or even keep the mana drain but make it taken once every 15-20 seconds.

10. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Since active meditation would require sacrificing things like movement, and most other actions, I don't see a terribly big problem with it.
    It would be a choice - you can either run the spellsong in the background, while doing other stuff, or you can dedicate yourself to the spellsong, for greater (more continuous) effect.

11. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos Always Present
    Stratics Veteran

Rise of the Necro Bards!