1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Aeric Horn Memorial issue...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Kat, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Apparently someone thought it would be nice to delete all the messages that were left in books at the Memorial Center. Its a shame someone would do such a thing and we are very sorry this has happened. Moving forward, if anyone would like to leave a written memorial for Aeric, there is a bulletin board on the main floor where your messages will be retained permanently.

[​IMG]

Those who haven't had the opportunity to visit the Memorial for our late friend, Cliff Allen, the player behind the characters Aeric Horn and Ginsu, feel free to stop in any time. Despite this little event, the building will remain open to the public. There is a public rune library on the main floor, as well as public dye tubs and a forge and anvil in the garden area on the first floor.

[​IMG]

2. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Certifiable
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Campaign Patron

I am sorry to hear this happened. Its one thing to grief on the field, its quite another to disrespect a shard's attempt to honor a fallen friend. :sad4:

3. Falon of Eldor

Stratics Veteran

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OOuQlOqBhuU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OOuQlOqBhuU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

4. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

Wow...that is unreal that someone would do that. The whole reason we left the public books was to avoid the issue of hitting the max message count allowed on the in-game bulletin boards. :sad4:

-Skylark

5. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

I am not surprised at all. Disappointed? Sure, but realistically we all knew this would happen. The same anonymity that allows folks to tease, accuse and verbally on these forums is certainly present in the game. It is even more unchecked there.

There is little consequence, if any in most INTERNET communication. Those that choose to be asses... Well, they can. I have seen more than my share of this kind of "grief".

I have seen the dead mocked, facts and fiction twisted together in unbelievable fabrications. I have had threats of beatings and worse from some. *shrugs* Over what? Nothing.

There was a landmark decision on INTERNET bullying handed down recently. Will we one day be held accountable for our actions on the INTERNET? I don't know.

Until then, just know, there is a certain meanness in the world. *nods*

6. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Unfortunately, very much QFT

7. Py Lethius

Py Lethius Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Aeric and I shared an opinion on this aspect of human behavior in the great anonymous space we share.

I have heard some people express the opinion that because we don't know each others names, addresses, telephone numbers or places of work that it does not matter what we do to each other out here in the internet.

Most people in the real world toe the mark, follow the rules, maybe bend them, simply because they want to avoid the penalties for avoiding to do so. Out here, they take license to do evil to others. I'm not talking about killing toons in a game, I am talking about malicious acts designed to inflict grief.

Aeric was one of those people who know that all that stuff in between means nothing, flesh, bone, electronic facade - when you see a person revealed by their words, their choice of actions, you see them, and there is no place you can hide from that.

Aeric held himself accountable for his actions and he held others to be accountable to themselves. There were times when he said to me "Py, you are doing this thing and you should not be, it is beneath you, it is beneath what we expect of you."

To have a friend who could say that to you, to know you and hold a mirror up to you and make you look - and know that you might be angry with them, but risk it out of respect for you, for themselves - this is a great treasure. And to know that you have a friend who sees your faults and remains your friend despite them, that is the greatest of all treasures.

Aeric is still there for me in my weak moments, when my own resolve is in danger of wavering, I can call on the memory of his words.

I have not been to that shrine, and I never had the chance to read the words that were put down. But truly, I don't need to. I can guess easily what was in them, for I am sure that Aeric touched the lives of others as he touched my life. No words erased can erase my memory of him.

Py Lethius, Retired Knight
    Knights of the Silver Serpent

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*salutes*

9. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Well I for one am sorry this happend. Aeric was a good man. He will always be remembered. How someone can stoop that low is beyond me...

10. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I can't think of anyone on Siege who would have actually done this. My guess is a new player probably did it and had no idea what the memorial was for and just did not care.

I can't see anyone on Siege doing that. And if it was someone from Siege then I feel sorry for you.

11. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

12. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

How anyone could stoop so low as to do something like this is totally beyond my comprehension :(

13. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Oh yeah, such an awful mean thing *rolls eyes*...la

14. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Apparently you weren't around when Folger passed...this is small time compared to what happened then :(

Not belittling y'alls plight, just saying that there always have been, and always will be insolent little pieces of **** on this shard that do crap like this...

15. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

It's an online game...is this really so surprising this could happen on teh intertubes?...la

16. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Troll much, Rico...?

17. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I have some red petals for when the books get redone.

18. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I can donate some of those too, if they're needed.

19. Fabienne

Fabienne Guest

Very well said Py. Not a day goes by that I dont think of Aeric or remember something he said to me or I to him. Its what lead me here today to these forums.... because I was sitting here thinking of him.

Its sad that someone did that to the books at the memorial... but not surprising.

As you said though, I have never been to the memorial or read the books...yet I know what kind words would have been in them. The same kind words that are in my heart and mind when I think of him.

He is a friend that will never leave my heart...regardless of life or death.

20. Fabienne

Fabienne Guest

I was around for that... it was a disgrace.

21. Krystal

Krystal Sage
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

I can think of one person that would do it. this moron has no respect for the dead or anyone around him. and still till this day teases players that have lost a loved one. i feel nothing for this moron, not even pity, i know karma is a *****, and listening to people talk about this idiot (that share vent with him) and how his life is now shows that karma will get u in the end.

I didn't know Aeric, but have fought him on the field, Sorry this happened, Kat.:( a lot people worked hard to make it perfect

22. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Many thanks for the offers to donate red petals. I had some set aside to seal the books as they filled up. The 4 books with messages each had several entries in each, but were nowhere near full enough to be sealed. Unfortunately, some of this could likely have been avoided if I had put out one book at a time and sealed/replaced them as they filled up.

I presumed we might have some jokesters write something inappropriate and I checked them every few weeks to scan for such things and to determine when a book should be sealed. It just never occured to me that someone might delete everything. Friends and enemies alike, stood next to each other during the candle light vigil. Members of most of the factions, reds and blues alike, came to pay their respects without incident. I just never expected this. As a community, I thought we were above something like this, but as T'Challa mentioned, there have been incidents of a similar nature before. I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was.

Py and Sevi said it best, though. Memories and what is in our hearts cannot be erased. Thanks for reminding us of that. It proves there is something to be learned in just about every situation we face.

23. Skylark SP

Skylark SP Available Storage: 0
    Stratics Veteran

No, it isn't surprising that it COULD happen. We are all quite aware of what people can and will do. Most of us are adults here. We'd just rather hope that these things won't happen and would rather not think that people we might play with have no qualms over doing them. No one is stupid enough to equate this to some of the more atrocious behaviors people are CAPABLE of doing, but it is sorry nonetheless and there is nothing wrong with us commenting on it.

TLDR version: :twak:

-Skylark