1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Alacrity 101

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Patty Pickaxe, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

So, how do these things work? I am currently using a Peacemaking scroll.
    E told me to get my gain and log out. I have done that several times tonight and now I have stopped gaining. Do you stop gaining once you hit the daily cap, regardless of how much time is left on the scroll?? I was told the alacrity allows you to gain more than the daily cap- each time you gain, it is counted as .1, regardless of how much you actually gain. HELP!

2. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You may have hit your cap. Gains do reset in 40 minutes 8pm Eastern for me. What is your peacing at? What are you peacing? Tamed or wild pet? What creature?

3. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

And yes you can go above the cap... Say you are at 80 and you eat the scroll then you can go to 90 maybe a little higher during 1 day of ROT.

4. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

You get the same number of gains you normally get, e.g. 20 at 110-120. But each gain will be worth 0.2-0.5 for an average of 0.35 each time.

I always make sure I record each time I get a gain so I can keep track of when I reach the limit.

5. Patty Pickaxe

My peacing is around 71. I was just area peacing, and that was working up until now. Should I try peacing some actual creatures now? It is a problem if my music isn't much higher? OH! that's the other thing. I was getting music gains at the same time. Could that be the problem?

You have confused me!! First you say this:
    You may have hit your cap.

Then, you say this:
    And yes you can go above the cap

Which is it? :confused:

6. AEowynSP

AEowynSP Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I am not up to date on the caps and time limits but I hope this will help.
    prior to the rot change 36 gains were possible in the 70.1 to 80 range (or 3.6 points without an alacrity) then 2.1 after or 21 gains.
    Honestly if you are useing a scroll, lock all but music because failing at music costs you precious seconds on a 15 minute scroll to get your gain.
    *Hands Patty a dead fish to hit E with for not explaining this to her*
    To further explain in case I wasn't clear. You can go above the point cap on a scroll (gaining .4 instead of .1) but can not go above the gain cap (how many gains in a day)

7. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I said you may have hit your cap because I had no idea how high u was currently if you had told me you was at 75.0 then I would known you had hit your cap.

Try peacing Ridge Backs.

8. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

* Skill points for skills less than 70 points will gain as normal shards.
    * Skill points for skills between 70 and 79.9 points will gain a maximum of 5 points per day with a minimum of 5 minutes between points gained. (250 minutes min to gain 5.0 skill)

* Skill points for skills between 80 and 89.9 will gain at a maximum of 4.0 points per day with a minimum of 8 minutes between points gained. (320 minutes min to gain 4.0 skill)

* Skill points for skills between 90 and 99.9 will gain at a maximum of 3.0 points per day with a minimum of 12 minutes between points gained. (360 minutes min to gain 3.0 skill points)

* Skill points for skills between 100 and 109.9 will gain at a maximum of 3.0 skill points per day with a minimum of 15 minutes between points gained. (450 minutes min to gain 3.0 skill points)

* Skill points for skills between 110 and 120 will gain at a maximum of 2.0 skill points per day with a minimum of 15 minutes between points gained. (300 minutes min to gain 2.0 skill points)

* Players will be allowed to gain 15 stat points a day.

9. Patty Pickaxe

Thank you, guys! He told me I could go above the daily cap (earn more than 5 points a day), which is why I didn't lock music. I guess that was wrong information! Thanks for the fish, AE but I prefer to whack him upside the head with my sewing kit. :gee:

10. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

So here is an example after Rot resets if you your skill was 70.0 Peacing. Then you cap would be 5.0 skill points until the next reset.

So normally you would gain 50 times at .1 which would put you at 75.0

With an alacrity scroll you should be able to gain 50 times until rot resets just log in and out.

So if you used an alacrity and you was at 70.0 and got all 50 gains and lets just say you gained .3 on every gain. that would be 15 skill points. putting you at 85 peacing...

11. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

you can go over the daily cap with an alacrity.

If you are at 70 then you cap for the day is 5.0 thats 50 gains under an alacrity those 50 gains will range from .2 - .5

12. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

If you are using an alacrity only gain in that skill do not gain peacing and music. Just gain the skill that is under the effects of an alacrity scroll if you are gaining anythign else then you are wasting your gains.

Personally if you have not trained up music i would have trained it up first. then done peacing.

13. Patty Pickaxe

well, that definitely did not happen. When I ate the alacrity, my peace was at 70 point something. I am now only at 7.1 point something. My music is in the high 70's. I was gaining .1 in music each time I gained in peace. I should still be gaining then and I am not. I successfully peaced a lizardman, but did not get a gain.

Hold on.....Kage you are saying that I can go above the daily cap of 5 points, but Aeowyn is saying that I can't. Either way, I think I should still be gaining and I am not. :(

It's 8:00. I just tried again and still did not get a gain. I am only at 675 skill points, so I know I have the room to gain.

*sighs* I am going to give Ally a bath and try again later!

14. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Probably was not able to get your gains and gaining off of the correct creature. I suggest finishing music before using peacing alacrity. If you use anythign use a music alacirty.

15. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Finish music then do the peacing.

16. Patty Pickaxe

I will do that. I haven't trained music in so long, I thought I could train both at the same time. Oh well. Live and learn!

17. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

You can if you are not using an alacrity but if you peacing goes up over your music then u will fail on the harder creatures etc.

18. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

For clarity,

You can go over your daily cap in the skill that is under the alacrity only.

So, you could get 5 points in peacing if you were only working that skill.

However, you only get a certain number of skill gain chances. For example, if the level you are at caps at 2.1, then you can gain in skills a total of 21 times.

So, if you gain 15 times in music (not under alacrity) you get 1.5 music.

Then you can only gain 6 times in peace (under alacrity) and would get between 1.2 and 3.0 peacing.

Best thing to do is only work the skill that is under the alacrity and lock all others.

P.S. I got to 120 peacing just using area peace.

19. Patty Pickaxe

So, I started getting gained again (on reapers), but I no longer see that message, I don't know what it says, but basically lets me know I gained more than .1. Does that mean my alacrity has timed out?

20. Patty Pickaxe

@vortex- ty for the extra clarification. For some reason, area peace is not working for me. I found a reaper and started peacing it. That seems to work.

21. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Yep, if you don't get the message and you only gain .1 then its over. You will gain at least .2 if you are still under it.

For the area peace, I got off my mount and did the area peace, but it was quite a while back so that may not work anymore..

Oh, and be careful with reapers, if they combat flag you, you cannot insta-log and you will lose precious time...

22. Patty Pickaxe

Ah well, that was a quick 15 minutes. I know I wasted alot of time failing on my peace and then gating around, trying to find something else to gain. I just peaced my beetle and got a gain! LOL. I wish I had thought of that sooner!

23. Vortex

Vortex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

Ah! Your right! I hopped off my mount and peaced it, not area peace!

*slaps forehead*

24. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Interesting, I was able to gain up to 115 on area peace.

25. enigma eb2

enigma eb2 Sage
    Stratics Veteran

This is exactly why you should get yourself back in the sewing room and get me kits and hammers.

When patty reads this my life will be like this :yell:

Then it will look like this :sad2: and most likely this :gee:

But in the end ill give her a look like this :sad3:

and we will be back to :heart:

So in the interest of saving some time..... BUYING PEACE and MUSIC ALACRITY SCROLLS. please hurry im gonna need em baddddd.

26. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Without wishing to complicate matters, the reason that you ideally need to keep track of the number of gains is that using an alacrity you are almost certainly going to cross the various ROT thresholds at some point.

If you start at 70 (which you should only do if you have more than one alacrity available) then 29 gains will on average take you up to 80. That represents 29/50 or 58% of your daily gains, assuming you are gaining in no other skill, meaning you have 42% of 40 or 16-17 gains left at 8 minute intervals, which should get you to just over 85 on that first day of using the scroll. Keeping track of the gains means that you are not wasting time trying to get a gain once your daily allowance is at an end.

So, at the end of the first day you will have made around 45 gains. If we assume an average of 15 seconds per gain (log in, get gain, log out) then you will still have another 15 gains available the next day before the scroll is finished. However, the time it takes between gains will vary considerably between skills. With some crafting skills you can probably get down to around ten seconds.

But with a skill like peacing you really need to set things up for the character making the gains if you want to get the maximum advantage from the scroll. If you are using the scroll and then gating from your log-out spot, trying to find a creature and the gating back, you will not get many gains for your money.

What you need to do is use a tamer character to bring a suitable animal to your house and release it (although it is technically illegal to keep wild animals caged inside a 'pen' though). Then you set up a macro (use peace/last target) and you can log in, get your gain (possibly requiring more than one attempt), and log out quickly. You want to be hitting the 'log out' button/key as soon as you are in and then hit the conformation once you see that you have your gain.

The best alacrity I had was when I took vet from 82 to over 110 by using one tamer to get a cu beaten up in Destard and then bringing it back to a house and getting it to stay at the spot next to where the alacrity tamer would appear. Once I had the gain I would log out with the cu tamer too and so could make 3-5 gains before needing to get the pet damaged again. I use multiple computers, but you could still do it with one if the first tamer was not friended to the house and so would not instantly log out.

When trying to decide what pets are needed for bard gains, try this.

27. Patty Pickaxe

Well, it seems I am gaining just fine using area peace again. I also peace my beetle and that works too. I really think I had gained more than I thought the previous night and I had hit my limit.

Oh yea, E.... :twak::twak::twak:
    and take this too..... :flame:

When I try again, I will be sure to wait until 8:00pm!!