1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

All 'bugged' veteran tubs have been reverted

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Risso, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I suppose when they fixed being able to sell the Metallic Dye Tub they went one step further and set all bugged (ie no age requirement) tubs back to their normal state. Found out my leather tub that used to dye cloth is back to leather only, so no more matching clothes & armour for me :( Best check your neon leather tubs and suchlike, though I don't recall how those were made.

2. jack flash uk

jack flash uk Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yep my three 1st year Leather tubs are now reverted, (had these for YEARS)

well done to the dickbrain that did that. Just pathetic

sure glad i did not buy the 1st year Runebook tub that was for sale on the europa market now

3. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Well I suppose it was a bug/exploit so can't fault them for fixing it, but just a note to the devs - instead of new colours, please make a tub that can dye cloth the same colours as the leather tub :)

4. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Wow they fixed them all? Ha. I guess it's time for us to ask for a regular Leather Cloth Dye Tub from pirates/merchants, too.

5. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Ouch. *sighs* I don't mind that they fixed the tubs. I mind the fact they took years to do it with no consistent communication about them. If they had a page on uo.com where it listed x items and said they will be reverted in a future publish, it would have kept people from losing millions on something that has been around for years. I'm only out 7-10m for my 1st yr leather cloth tubs that I bought several years ago and that I made public for people to use... I'm so glad I didn't spend 250m on a neon leather dye tub... I'm be even more frustrated right now. Those of you who did, I'm sorry.

6. Tazar

Tazar Guest

If I remember correctly, back when they did the "Monk's Robe" thing, they stated that duped or exploited items could be reverted at any time. It is a sad loss, but it is a risk you take when you buy an item that is known to be exploited or duped.

7. yars

yars Lore Keeper

i had some tubs that were bugged(by which i mean they just werent working, not neon or anything exploited)
    im glad at least they fixed them, however since plant dyes,ToT dyes, and the new tubs have come out i havent really missed the bugged ones. :(

8. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Honestly, it isn't the loss of gold that makes me sad, it is the lack of communication and consistency. I'm glad they are fixing bugs, but the time they let pass before they do damages the community. The "doggy dupe" that occurred many years ago really screwed up some unique looking items and yet they have done nothing to 'revert' those. To me those caused more damage than dye tubs that had been around for years and that many people had public for anyone to use. I just think their priorities are screwed up.

I hear they also fixed the whole stacked items exploit that created orange feathers, etc. If that is true, I'm really glad they did even if it took several years as well. Now if they can just revert all the items that people created, that would be great... although at this point I think more items are in the hands of players who bought them than those who were selling them.

9. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I find it difficult to fault them for fixing a bug. It's not like we didn't know that this wasn't intended. And it's not like, as far as I can tell anyway, action was taken against any accounts for it. (That would have taken things considerably too far.)

-Galen's player

10. Big Wang

Big Wang Visitor

....about time!! :thumbsup:

11. Vampyre Kitty

Vampyre Kitty Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

well damn glad i never spent gold on a neon dye tub just to have it revert...sucks for the people that just recently bought one.

12. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Everyone knew that "bugged" items are just that and are a risk just by nature. You can have them reverted, taken away or, I don't know if this really happens, you could lose your account over them. No pity for the purchase of such items and, besides, if you have 250mil to blow on a risky item your wealthy enough to recover from the loss.

13. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

So are the neon leather tubs actually fixed? If anyone can confirm this, that would be great.

14. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I strongly suspect that they did not deliberately fix the old tubs. I suspect that whatever measure they took to correct the metalic tub had a knock on effect to all other bugged veteran reward tubs. It didn't happen when they fixed the white tub, since that's not a vet tub.

a short visit to the rares forum will confirm the fixing of the neon tubs.

15. phantus

phantus Stratics Legend

That is the thing though. Did they actually fix the bug that allows you to make them? Seems like they "fix" it after each dye tub they put out. Are they not capable of fixing the cause beforehand. It's like the bug where you can mount and steal other peoples mounts. It crops up again because the last team that "fixed" it didn't actually fix the problem just the result of the problem like it seems they did in this case. Will the next dye tub be the same. Chances are it will.

16. How about this no brainer.

Dont allow NPCs to buy tubs. Argh.
    Who sells tubs anyway but to find the exploit.

Easy fix for the future

17. Poo

Poo The Grandest of the PooBah’s
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor 4H

they actually fixed this a month or so ago when they fixed the white dye tubs.
    i noticed it back then.

now heres the thing.
    did you also notice that those old leather dye tubs that they 'fixed' are now dead?

i had a bunch of those old leather dye tubs that where changed so i could do cloth and i went and checked them all when i noticed that the first one was broke and ALL of mine are now broke.

i put in a bug thingy a month ago when i noticed this and i checked my tub here a day or so ago and it was still dead.

so theres a double wammy for ya.
    you loose your leather tub that could dye cloth AND now that same leather tub dosnt work.
    hehehe.

now when i say it dosnt work what mine do is i can dd click the dyes target the tub and pick the color i want but the color dosnt change on the tub and when you dye the item it dosnt change it at all.

enjoy!

18. a slave girl

Stratics Veteran

If they've finally fixed that EXPLOIT, then:

Oh My God...

Yay!

:)

Hope they fix some more exploit items, like making those exploited black faction guard horses revert to their base body colors.

I'd be all for a leather tub that dyes any color that the cloth tub dyes (known as neon leather dye tubs) and black horses being tamable in the wild or for sale on an npc, to take away the value of exploit created items that already exist in the game.

Send the message that exploiting just doesn't pay.

19. georox

georox Sage

It still pays, quite well, you just have to sell before they fix it, then the innocent people you trick into buying the items will be at the loss, not the exploiter. Problem is EA doesn't go after the source, they wait a few years then fix something after the people exploiting made money. They don't stop the exploiter by all means.

20. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

Hm on the publish, it had a metal dye tub fix, so I think it had to be something new. Speaking of tubs though, glasses STILL can't be dyed by metal dye tubs. Boo.

21. Percivalgoh

Stratics Veteran

all my dye tubs seem to be working normally including first year special dye tub and second year leather dye tub and black dye tub (didn't look at furniture dye tub or white leather dye tub)

22. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Umm no, they didn't.

23. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

I seriously doubt anyone with a bugged tub is anyone who actually used the exploit to get it. This specific exploit was fixed literally years ago.
    Only thing they've done here is punished some people who've had something that's been pubically allowed for years.

The people who actually exploited remain rich and unpunished. As usual.

24. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

I was going to be sarcastic, but I'll just be blunt.
    Yes, it was an item created through an exploit - can be removed at any time, buyer beware and all that.

But, what harm did the tubs even do?
    Allow people to coordinate the colours of their leather and cloth items? Oh, the humanity!

So the question I have here is not "Why did they do that?", because the answer is kind of plain - bugged item.
    The question is - "Why did players need to use bugged items to do this in the first place?"
    Exploiters made money from them because players wanted to be able to affect this cosmetic touch. Mythic could have sold them as a "very special dye tub" for real money, and people would have bought them (even with the bugged versions available, because some players avoid bugged items).

25. OMG! ... UO is >not< a perfect virtual world ?

"Someone" hath gone unpunished?
    :scholar: By the Gods then! This shall not stand!! by the powers inves ...

oh wait
    "as is" "as available" some changes may affect gameplay ... TOS

never mind ... false alarm ... :lol:

26. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Perhaps my post and it's purpose was hard to understand.
    Allow me to break it down a little for you.
    The person I was responding to (via the quote) had implied that somehow some evil-doers had gotten punished by the recent fix to dye tubs.
    My response was to explain why this was not the case.
    It was not any sort of angry rant or foot stomping. It was a response to someone's misguided belief that when the tubs got fixed it was the exploiters who got screwed.
    Thanks for the response anyway buddy.
    :pancakes:

27. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The same argument, be aware, is used to justify bugs/exploits that go far beyond the dye tubs. The old-school black horses, for example. I've seen harassing other players, including but not limited to luring monster in Trammel, killing other players' captured pirates, etc, justified in the same way.

"Doesn't do harm" can be extended pretty far if one squints the right way.

The slope's way more slippery than you're giving credit for.

-Galen's player

28. I can reply in kind, without a need for "perhaps"(fayleds post was hard to understand)
    with me so far?
    your post that I responded to (as indicated by the quoting of)
    Ended with:
    yet now your position >seems to be< that: (above)
    >I< see an incongruity of your position ...

Can you?

you are of course most welcome for your/my replies :thumbsup:

29. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Reading comprehension friend,

30. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

That is true enough.

I wouldn't personally consider purely cosmetic bugs in the same league as harassment or cheating for mechanical advantage. The latter two do harm the game, regardless of how one rationalises it.
    The dye tubs and the horses simply allow players a greater palette to express themselves with, literally and figuratively. In a small way, that added freedom is a credit to the game, and such thing should have been added legitimately.
    The hues could have been added to the special dye tub, and 1-in-1000 horses in the wild could have spawned black. Anything is better than nothing, and a legit anything would have been the preferable anything.

31. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

I always figured this was coming sooner or later..

It does sorta suck for these people who owned these, but anyone who does probably knows how they were made.

32. Awesome a game of exporation and adventure... and people show how EA escaped having to make content and addicted us to pixal crack.

Freaking colors people. Does anyone care about something to do besides dye clothing. My GOD. We have 64000 color variations as is.

Thank goodness I dyed 10000 bolts the metal ore colors 6 years ago.

33. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

what a shame, the neon leather dye tub was useful :(
    I hope they put a legal version in some way...

34. Saunders

Saunders Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Cloth dyed in ore colour was sober, in total accord with the old UO aesthetic, not neon, not game breaking, and sweet. Really, this was the kind of pointlessly vindictive action that makes me finally stop paying for 4 accounts.

35. Vaelix

Vaelix Guest

So your criticizing people who complain that they lost " X ", while also thanking the heavens that you managed to avoid the exact same thing like its a big deal.. Thats confusing. :thumbsup:

36. Risso

Risso Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

UO is an old game, and its likely that with all the tangles of old code the fix put in for the metallic dye tubs inadvertendly fixed all bugged tubs. Personally I don't think this was a deliberate change to the other tubs, just an unexpected fix and certainly not vindictive.

37. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

A tad dramatic there.
    Diversity is UO's strong suit - A player can PvP, PvM, RP, trade, explore, stand around and chat...
    If someone wants to spend time on working on how they look in game, more power to them, just the same as if anyone wants to do anything in that there list.

Besides, if they're just colours, why did you dye the cloth?
    Clearly you saw some value in it.

38. Nah Im not knocking anyone here. Im just stating a course of the game that was slowly given to us. We are really only talking about dyes. How often did any of us need dyes so badly we couldnt play. Never. Did we every need stupid hair colors of neon. ARGH no. AOS cloth, blah blah.

Hell we even had an event(s) that was all about dying things. Don't you find that odd?

But UO's course has been, the easy course, gives us dyes, objects, and items. We are addicts and don't know it.

Sober up everyone. Sober up.

We dont need no stinkin dyes.

39. I was dramatic for fun.
    Why did I dye them? Cause my merchant sold them. Anytime there is an exploit with dyes, gold is exchanged.

40. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

This..... I see no reason why these things haven't been done. I mean really what would be the harm in black horses? Or white ones for that matter? I'd like to see a paint or appaloosa and a few larger Clydesdale types but that's just me. Anyone ever watch the movie Ladyhawke? I'd like a horse like that... Of course I've wanted armor for my horse for years too but I don't see that happening either. Perhaps they could put more special cloth dying tubs on the merchant/pirate ships. Some that dye the metal colors and things. But perhaps that's just me.

Honestly it's my belief that anything in game ought to be allowed to be dyed, customized, altered or whatever as a form of expression and diversity. There is nothing like playing games like WoW and FF where there is a great lack in diversity.

It's one reason I continue to play UO. The ability to design my characters and my homes in so many ways makes me feel far more immersed in the realm than I ever could in any other game.

41. Ezekiel Zane

Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor

Well this sux. I used my leather dye tub to dye cloth all the time.

This is a perfect opportunity for the devs to add it legally back into the game via Veteran Rewards or other means.

42. canary

canary Guest

Well, actually, if you played any other games you'd see, graphically, UO is pretty bad at showing diversity through things like clothes and armor. Granted, for example, end game WoW players may wear the class armor, but is that any different than the 'robe-half apron' combo that exists now in UO with (I'm guessing here) 90-95% of players?

It currently doesn't help that ringmail, chainmail and plate confer no additional bonuses in game, and only penalize a player for wearing it.

43. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Robes with properties was a terrible idea, tbh.
    Previously, people wore robes if they wanted to. It was a part of expression.
    Now, they become required for people that want to maximise their potential.

Clothing items with properties should (in principal) be modifiable into any other clothing that fills that slot, and the option for robes to be hidden.

44. Should just be able to turn robes into a 2nd wearable sash.

45. canary

canary Guest

Well in some games you can just checkmark a 'do not show robes/ cape/ helm/ etc etc'.

I would support that being implemented. If you wanna walk around naked and still be wearing your best suit, I totally support that.

Some people may say that might hurt pvp... but you know, if I engage in a fight with someone, I don't ever know EVERYTHING they have on the or are wearing. Actually might bring an element of surprise to pvp.

46. Lady Mal

Lady Mal Journeyman

Ok EA, thanks for fixing your years old glitch.

Now, please, introduce legal non-glitched cloth tubs that dye leather colors. Oh yeah, and a cloth tub that can dye stuff to match the metallic dye colors would be amazing, too. I would prefer my clothing to actually match.

Since they are undoing things that make us enjoy the game more, maybe they can fix some things that actually are really PiTA:

Fix red leaves, some sea fish, and probably any number of things from changing weights when you cross server boundaries. Currently, weight seems to multiply by 10. Making a 100 stone weight into a thousand and once you arrive somewhere, you can't take a single step.

Fix Enhanced Client so my house floors don't act transparent/non existent.

Fix container lag/packing crate freeze.

Making it so we don't have to log out of game and back in to change characters would be a much-appreciated and long prayed-for thing.

47. Talula

Talula Guest

I wasn't even aware that the tubs that dyed cloth in ore colors WERE bugged. I used mine all the time to dye my clothes in subdued tasteful colors. Since the tub has now been "fixed" can we please have an equivalent tub drop somewhere?

48. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

this is a must... 'cause to this bug you can't do anything on your house without messing everything up :mad:

49. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

NO kidding! And fix the stinking moving crate too so it doesn't lock up my game and cause me to crash while your at it!

(*&)(*&)(*& Fix the freaking EC and stop ignoring it.

Oh and yes you gave us the ability to be a "co-owner" to up to 10 houses..... but the houses are still grossly limited in the number of Co-owners it can have... so once again it's a half-a$$ job. Thanks for dashing my hopes once again.

50. a slave girl

Stratics Veteran

"Oh and yes you gave us the ability to be a "co-owner" to up to 10 houses..... but the houses are still grossly limited in the number of Co-owners it can have... so once again it's a half-a$$ job."

That was the point I was trying to make earlier.

It's great that they fixed an old exploit, but leaving the items created by that exploit in the game without a way for EVERYONE to obtain those items legally is only doing HALF the job.

Whenever an exploit is found out by EA their first thought and action should be to fix it, their second to make sure the game remains fair to ALL by making any exploit items that don't hurt the game available to all IMMEDIATELY, thereby removing the exploit item's rarity and it's value to an exploiter.

Neon Dye Tubs and Black Horses for Everyone! And a Chicken in Every Pot!

(Thanks Harry Truman and the History Channel)