1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

All shards will be going down in 15 minutes Emergency Maintenance

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Kage, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Kage

Kage Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

That sucks...

2. Kael

Kael Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

wonder what exploit was found this time lol

3. Duke SP

Duke SP Guest

Someone told me over ICQ that beta started for real on the 8th.:lol:

4. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

It is hopefully a fix for the lag. Maybe they found the memory leak causing it. I found a couple of potential memory leaks in the underworld.

Those books that spawn nearly as soon as you pick one up, and the barrels. Its like the coding is constantly checking to see if it needs to replace the book/barrel, and that will cause major lag. They need to set it to check once a minute or so, not 2 or 3 times a second!

5. Falon of Eldor

Stratics Veteran

Come to TC! FLY!!!

6. OldAsTheHills

OldAsTheHills Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Memory leaks usually occur when objects called Pointers no long address a
    section of active memory and that memory is not release to the heap or from
    the stack...it could make the server to do paging of memory blocks, now that
    is laggy.

But, the books or the barrels seem to be a different problem...timer or thread
    waiting issues. One event triggers the next occurrence.

*stares*
    Yahaxithonix

7. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah thats why i said potential...I can't know without seeing the coding.

It would make sense to have an event set up for the books/barrels.

Pick up book, then timer starts to replace it. That would be nice. then the book would replace itsself at the same time every time.

I dont think that is how it is coded though, I tested it by pickin gup several books, and each time, they respawned at a slightly different time, sure, there could be a randomizer on the timer, but what would be the point in that? It seems that there is a timer constantly running and checking to see if there si a book still on the table or not, if not, replace it. That would give you different spawn times based on when you picked up the book, and how far along between checks the timer was when you did.

Now, is the timer pointing to the unique ID number of the book thats in your pack or another thing? If it is pointing to the unique ID number, and the book is no longer in existance, there could be a memory leak issue.