1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

All the UO devs and equipment okay after that mild D.C. earthquake?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by G.v.P, Jul 16, 2010.

1. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

2. TullyMars

TullyMars Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I expect most of the servers might be ok...but I'll tell you I have been trying to convince MD Verizon that they have some problems today. Any field employee in the DC, Northern VA, Southern MD area seems to be having trouble getting back to my vpn. When told it was on my side...I said funny...I have 80 some odd employees connecting through the vpn through 6 states and the only 5 that are having problems are in the general area of the earthquake. When they told me to contact my ISP, I yelled "YOU ARE MY FRICKING ISP JERKOFF! VERIZON RUNS MY T1 LINES" and hung up. Might let that settle a bit before I call back.

Wonder how ping and tracert's looking to UO servers in the area?

3. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

oh you poor things!!!
    hehehee
    A tiny EQ got you hyper??
    Gee wiz we get them daily and dont even feel them!!

Now tell me when you get a 6.5 or a 7.2 and we will talk rocking and rolling.

Live 1/2 mile from ground zero Northridge now that was a EQ
    you all had a hic up!

4. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Earthquake? No, that was just the Atlantic server booting after maintenance.

In seriousness, I suspect that everything is fine. I live pretty close to Mythic. The quake didn’t feel much different than a big truck driving near your house.

5. TullyMars

TullyMars Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Lol...I know I know...definitely nothing to write home about...but an earthquake in DC/MD area is like 6 inches of snow in southern florida...no one is prepared and nothing in the area was ever built to withstand it.

6. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Does this explain why a bunch of old, one-of-a-kind Seer items suddenly spawned in Galen's bank box?

-Galen's player

7. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Yeah, it felt like one of the trains had derailed near Beltsville or something exploded nearby. When I heard no sirens or other hubbub I just went to sleep.

Draconi must have left one of those "events" laying around.

:popcorn:

8. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

That explains why 5 Dracioni's Wraths suddenly appeared in Galen's bank box, next to the old Seer items.

-Galen's player

9. Dol'Gorath

Dol'Gorath Grand Inquisitor

=O I didn't even think the east coast had earthquakes.

10. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

I felt it at around 5:06 a.m., similar to a low flying plane with more vibration ;P hehe and yes, a 3.0+ around here is pretty uncommon so it is fun to get excited about one ;P ... now if we get a 6 or a 7 then it's probably the end of the world, so ... lol.

11. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Yup, you'd be surprised where you can get an earthquake. I seem to recall there's a good sized fault near NYC, amongst all the little ones.

Most of them don't move because they are more inside the plate, so they don't get buffeted or stretched like they do near a plate join.

A big one here would pretty much rip DC to shreds, since we don't have heavy earthquake building codes and chunks of the area are built on swamplands.

I'm more concerned about the new madrid fault though, we're about due for another 8+ there.

12. Cal_Mythic

Cal_Mythic Guest

What earthquake ... I just figured it was another filibuster! :)

Everyone is fine

13. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I live in the heart of the New Madrid, and if and when it ever let's loose....woo boy....

14. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend

lol :)

15. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Ramapo Fault... I'm sitting on it, and in the past year we've had three tremors... do I want to move? yes

16. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

Yup cogress had a run on ice cream at the rares fest!!

17. ChReuter

ChReuter Guest

LOL, I live right outside of DC and didn't even know about it until I read it here. I guess this proves I've kinda been in a shell lately.

18. Lefty

Lefty Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I hope when it hit Al Gore spilled his drink. Heck I hope every crooked politician in DC spilled their drink.

19. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

In the 1600s-1800s, New York City had several magnitude 5 quakes (and even stronger ones either upstate or in nearby New England), most notably
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1884_08_10.php
    and (for New England)
    http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1755_11_18.php

and Charleston, SC had one as strong or stronger than the 1906 or 1989 San Francisco quakes (estimated Magnitude 7.3)

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1886_09_01.php

The fact that practically nothing on the East Coast is built to Earthquake standards could get REALLY ugly, if one of the 3 above earthquakes struck these days. At least the St. Louis/Memphis corridor, and parts of the neighboring states, have gotten SOME earthquake-resistant construction, by comparison.