1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Aloha ʻoe

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Kirthag, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

This post is a more informal as it is a sad farewell to Taylor, the man many consider to have saved the Stratics Community from the Voids of internet oblivion.

This is not an easy post for me, as I've not been as close to Taylor as others - but yet his parting as this community's leader is deeply felt by many. I respect him, his decisions, and the persistent, heartfelt honesty by which he lead Stratics from the shadows. It takes a special person to do what he did. Taylor V. Smith is a man to be honored.

I reside in Hawaii where one of the most beautiful songs ever written (imosho) was penned by the last Queen of this tiny island nation; Liliʻuokalani. Her story is tragic, but the love she felt for her people, her country, and her home were true. The song, Aloha ʻoe.

Aloha - it is a deeply felt emotion that transcends social and physical bonds. It is the sharing of breath from one being to another... giving life and sharing life which makes all things connected.
    Alo - meaning front, face and presence
    ha - to breath, exhale, to breath upon... life itself
    The Hawaiians would greet, and part, with the sharing of breath. They would embrace, touch foreheads, and breath upon and with each other to exhibit the connection they have. Over time, as these islands became modernized - that breath became song.

Taylor shared his Aloha to keep Stratics alive. To ensure this community's future. To provide us all with a place we virtually call home. It is in this spirit of Aloha that I fix these words of that long past and lonely Queen to this passing the Savior of Stratics....

Aloha ʻoe, aloha ʻoe
    E ka onaona noho i ka lipo
    One fond embrace,
    A hoʻi aʻe au
    Until we meet again...

Farewell to thee, Farewell to thee
    The charming one who dwells in the shaded bowers
    One fond embrace,
    'Ere I depart
    Until we meet again...

As I wipe my tears, for I am deeply affected by this, I know that Taylor is not going to be too far away - for how far can you take yourself from something you love? His role here as this community's leader and visionary is over, but he is ever welcomed and accepted as one of us. Without him, we most likely would not be able to move into the future.

Mahalo nui loa, Taylor.
    E ʻoluʻolu ʻoe i koʻu manaʻo,
    hohoʻi ne.

Thank you very much, Taylor.
    Please do me a favor,
    return often.

[​IMG]

#1 Kirthag, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    roomstomper, Jacuyl, spin and 11 others like this.
  2. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I don't even have the words nor could I have expressed them as eloquently. Thank you for this, Kirthag.

Captn Norrington, spin, Storm and 5 others like this.
  3. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

Farewell
    Good luck
    Good health
    Always.

4. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Thank you, Less. My departure is bittersweet for me. Stratics is a magical place. I've done my best over the past five years as a volunteer, four in leadership, too revive Stratics' brand, upgrade its infrastructure, protect the contributions of its volunteers, and provide improved features and perks to the Stratics community. Stratics is better today than when it was entrusted to me--healthier, more technologically advanced, more secure, more feature-rich. It's with this foundation in place that I feel comfortable passing the torch to Ron Bron.

I'll be absent as a leader, but my fingerprints are everywhere I look. Best of luck to you.

5. Peekay

Peekay Slightly Crazed

Called it.

Now, for the question Nabin snobbed at me about last week and was never answered. Who owns stratics?

o7

6. old gypsy

old gypsy Grand Poobah
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron PITMUCK

You are going to be missed more than you know, Taylor. Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I feel like someone just turned out the light and there aren't any replacement bulbs in the drawer... :(

Take care, stay well, and good luck in all your future ventures.

7. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Thank you, @old gypsy. Everything will work out alright for Stratics. :)

Lord Nabin likes this.
  8. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

I cried.....I really did. Taylor you are so awesome and amazing and all the work you've done for us has been incredible. Thanks for everything!

Taylor likes this.
  9. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

*tips hat* Yer not the only dreamer. Thank you, Taylor. I am certain everything will work out alright for you too.

Taylor likes this.
  10. Assia Penryn

Assia Penryn The Sleeping Dragon
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Thank you for all you did for this community, Taylor. :cheerleader:

11. Alexandra88

Alexandra88 Journeyman
    Alumni

Well @Kirthag, I'm so glad that this was the first message which I've read today. Thank you for this.

Thank you @Taylor for the chance you gave me at Stratics. I'm so grateful that I've had an opportunity to work with you even for a short time. I'm feeling a bit sad since I didn't had a chance to know you better personally as others did, but I will be bold and say that I know that you have a vision, the positive energy, the will and every other "tool" for making a difference. At this moment I can just say that you can be proud on yourself because beside the technical improvements you made to revive this community in the past, I'm sure that you touched many hearts and souls in a positive way. And at the end of the day, that is the most important thing we can do. Let that be your most important legacy and remember to keep your head high!

When I read this quote I really thought of you:

“A visionary is a leader of excellence who sees what others do not see, who achieves for now and plans for the future, who positively impacts different generations and raises up other visionaries.” ― Onyi Anyado

I hope that I will have the chance to work with you on some other projects in the future!

12. spin

spin UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

Life becomes harder for us when we live for others, but it also becomes richer and happier.

You have been the best boss ever.
    No doubt we will meet again, so this is goodbye for now :)

Thank you Taylor.
    Best of luck.

AirmidCecht and Taylor like this.
  13. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

14. Flutter

Flutter Always Present

Claimed.

15. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Taylor....
    I have so much to say and ask...
    I have always looked forward to your comments and posts.
    It will be hard to see your imprint on Stratics and not miss you.
    You did good.

Taylor and AirmidCecht like this.
  16. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Taylor--you're a cool dude. You always took the time to read and reply from what I saw, and I appreciate what you did here.

AirmidCecht and Taylor like this.