1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Am I doing this right?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Zonk the LJ, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Zonk the LJ

Zonk the LJ Guest

I have recently started training poisoning. My current skill is 48. Useing a full regular poison keg I gain maybe 1.5. I pour out ten pots, then use them on a dagger and repeat. Is there a different way I should be doing this to maximize gains? Or are these little gains normal?

Thanks,
    Zonk

2. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

You can go around killing spiders and using the potions off them. Black widows or whatever had a good spot. Been a while since I've done it.

But yeah, poisoning's a beast. Some say that GMing poison drove me mad. Well, to them I say "SHUT UP, THE PILLS WERE SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOU GO AWAY, THE DOCTORS SAID SO!"

3. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Im not sure how well this will work, but you can raise poisoning from poisoning a target(using infectious strike).

I found that carrying around the poison of my level using it to poison my target and then poisoning the weapon again, seemed to work quite well(and alot less boring)

4. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Hmm, I don't remember ever getting a single skill gain from using infectious strike.

Not saying you can't, just that I don't remember it.

5. RichDC

RichDC Guest

It was a long time since i did it, but i definatly got gains at the lower end of the spectrum. From just bought till im not sure how high.

6. Rykus

Rykus Guest

It looks like you're in luck! I was unaware of this until now, but it seems the anti-macro code has been removed for poisoning, and you can now use a single item. Lucky bastage.. I GMd poison 5 times the hard way, twice on a production shard, where you have to do it uphill in both directions, in the snow, wearing no shoes, etc... :)

In any case, check this out, it should answer any questions you may have, and maybe help optimize your efforts.

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=142515

7. sofaking

sofaking Guest

Correct me if I am wrong, but considering most people carry enough GC's to stave off the plague, poisoning has become fairly useless in PvP. I mean i can pull it off the stone if theres still a use for it. Honestly though everyone i know carries atleast 20 GC's

8. RichDC

RichDC Guest

20GC's = 2DP pots.

Poisoning has become a war of attrition type deal. If you can survive longer than they can cure you will win!

Also good in field fights when people just get resd and head back in.

9. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Also, a lot of it's about the panic that lethal poison can instill.

GC pots have a (small) chance of failing and they can't heal while poisoned, so poisoning throws most people on the defensive instantly.

Some are able to deal with it better than others, but the ones it works against, it works well against.

10. RichDC

RichDC Guest

Question for you more proficient in the deadly art.

I noticed on a mage spell the tick for poison level 5 is over double of that for lvl1, is this the same for weapon inflicted?

11. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

Referring to the time-tick, or the damage-tick?

...Either way, yes. I can't remember the timings or the damage, but they're both different.

12. Mr.StinkyPants

Mr.StinkyPants Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

leathal is not a for sure cure, could take 5 pots to cure, and poison cleans up my sloppy pvp quite well, i stoned it for a while and found my self dieing all the time

13. Rykus

Rykus Guest

In my experience, many tamers do not carry GCs while out hunting. I've killed many a tamer with just 1 or 2 shots of lethal poison. Occasionally they will pause to cast an arch cure, but another quick application of poison, and a few hits from a nasty dagger usually plants them face down.

This of course is not the case in PvP fights, but it's often very useful in PKing.

14. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

It can also be useful to toy with people if you can cure your victim of it.

*poisons*
    "AAAAAAAAAH, FORSOOTH MY DEATH DOTH VERILY APPROACH!"
    *cure victim*
    ".....Oh... Well then. Never mind."
    *poisons*
    "WHY CRUEL GODS DOSTETH THOU ALLOWESTETH THIS?!"

*means no disrespect to RPers, it's just funnier if you imagine it that way*

15. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

16. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

But you're not naked.

I'm not complaining, I think the women will agree that's a good thing.

17. Rykus

Rykus Guest

..and are those checks glued to the bottom of your pack? They seem to always be in the same place.

18. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

Well was trying to get the video posted ...good times they were before faction arties came around and ruined the fun :)

19. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend

What's this about faction arties?

20. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

Thats because those pics all took place within a 3 min time frame.

21. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Depending on your faction rank, and how much silver you have in your pocket, you can buy various faction arties.

http://www.uoguide.com/Factions

*edit* The prices for faction arties are 5x what you see posted here. I don't know if this is a Siege-only thing, or not.

22. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

meaning if you try to jump someone now while youre naked and theyre in their superman suit (faction arties) youre gonna be face planted.

23. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

This should be nothing new for you...

24. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Poison food instead of weapons.

There are different calculations going on when applying to a weapon.
    It is easier to apply to food, and a higher success rate equals more chances to gain. ;)

I use a stack of food, it doesnt matter if it is 2 pieces or more, only that it is a stack. Poison the stack, then unstack it and poison each piece, then restack it and repeat.

When you stack and unstack items, you are generating a whole new item ID number each time, so If you already made a gain on one item ID, you cant gain on it again ( unless they changed all that ), and you just have to stack again to assign a new ID. :D

25. Rykus

Rykus Guest

Nightstalker, it seems they've removed the anti-macro code, so that is no longer necessary. I really wish they would have done that years ago, as I GM'd poisoning FIVE TIMES before they made the change, and OMG what a pain that is on a prodo shard.. lol

26. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Oh! Well then... change my answer to:

Use food! Don't double click it! :D

27. Ole Cheapy

Ole Cheapy Guest

There is much to know about the present state of this skill but all i will add is this... If you're gonna train this skill then regardless of what all the master template people say, you better train it all the way to gm and not stop at 80. I have heard the arguments from the template masters that suggest you stop at 80 and I REFUSE to debate or publicly contest what they say. I will say it only one more time...if you're gonna train this skill you better train it all the way to GM. Do not pm me and ask why cause i will not say why, just trust me. That is all.

EDIT: I had a char with 80 poison and a char with gm poison they now both are gm poisoners so I have an inside track on this skil. Why do you think I have to chars with the "useless" poison skill? cause I'm ********? Not.

Oh and yes there is a much easier way to train the skill but the fewer who knows it the better. I too like Rykus went through hell and back to get my gm poisoners so I dont want anyone else walking down the corner of East St. and Got It Made Blvd. Damn that..i want them to feel the same pain i felt.

28. nightstalker22

Stratics Veteran

Obviously GM is best, for higher levels of Poison casting and poison fields with magery. 100% chance to deal Lethal is nice too.

Everybody knows you poison lots of weapons with lesser poisons for the max amount of charges and run around in the woods poisoning all the little fluffy animals for gains. ;)

29. Zonk the LJ

Zonk the LJ Guest

64.8 now, slowly getting there.
    Thanks for all the info.

Zonk