1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

An easy guide to setting up a player on Siege without-tokens

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by York_Siege, Mar 8, 2014.

1. York_Siege

York_Siege Seasoned Veteran

An easy guide to setting up a player on Siege without-tokens

I’m going to go out on a limb here and hope this helps some of the newcomers build a workable character from the start.

Since on siege you can only have one character per account it is best to start as something that is costs little and change to something different after you have set up a network and a stash of resources. On other shards the focus is strictly on game play and one account can have up to 7 characters, thus allowing you to do anything you want for years without having to speak to another player…. On Siege this is not the case you HAVE TO HAVE A NETWORK. Team play is more important on siege than the rest because you can’t just log on a smith. Having some resources to sell in the beginning helps the server and player selling the resources. As the name implies (siege) resources can be scarce, so having some stashed away can be helpful. Not to mention bartering works better in some cases better than gold….

Before working skills think Stats, this is widely overlooked, build these up first. If you have decent stats skills are easy to build. It is worth noting that one can only gain so many stat points a day so you may just want to log in 20 to 30 minutes in siege to boost stats then log off and play another shard until they get to an acceptable level (this level depends on the character you plan on playing. A good rule of thumb is making sure you have decent hit points and then divide the remaining to fit the character. ) After a week or two the character will have enough stats to begin skill gaining and gameplay.

Here are a few skills that normally give a certain stats

Musicianship – Dex

Mining – Str

Eval Int – Int

When the stats are up to a workable level, I suggest do a mule skill for a short time that can be done in the Guard Zone areas. Something like; mining/smithy (Ingots sell for a fair rate, but one can make a nice profit from Stone), lumberjacking/carp/fletching (There are so many uses, it sells well) with Fletching make Bolts, arrows are easily be hunted.

Gathering these resources don’t require any special skill, one just needs to go get them.

Cotton, Wool collecting, If anything will make one feel like a new player it is sheering sheep and on Siege this is still profitable.

Feathers: Killing Birds can pay and takes 0 skills.

Plain leather: most animals have a few hides (use a skinning knife in your hand to skin it and the hides will go in your pack cut up) I like the walrus for maximum payout for plain hides, they are super easy to kill and they have a fair amounts of hides; not to mention they are normally found in packs… NPC’s do not sell leather here so it’s a must for a budding tailor.

I’m sure I’m forgetting something here, but I will edit this post when I think of it…

All of the resources above can be sold instantly in NEW MAGINICA to the player owned vendors. NPC’s will not buy them. Also ask in general chat if anyone will buy them. This is a great opportunity to meet an ally…Build a network.

That should cover funding and getting a workable character that you can shape into whatever…

Here are a few things to consider

When out of the Guard Zone don’t wear anything that you care about losing …. If and when you do die and lose your items rely on your network and keep a backup of items you normally use…

Hiding and stealth are huge on Siege for a reason... having these skills will allow one to get away or sneak up (depending on one’s outlook).

Some skills and templates seem like a good ideal but may not be as great as some think. A thief is one of the most common skill sets and yes some have made this a profitable character. However, there is not that big of a player base to support it. Stealing Artys is fun and might make some gold but it’s unlikely. There are a lot of thieves on the shard. One is better off as a tamer or a bard… even a mule will out earn and won’t spend countless hours looking for a target.

Pk’s are another common character type and there is nothing wrong with pvp. However killing and dry looting a new player will cause that player to leave (this does not help the lack of players problem). It’s not easy to afford a 10k lrc suit when mongbats are the only thing that can be killed. (However, if one uses the method above you won’t have to resort to mongbat bashing). It’s also worth noting that not all Reds are bad and blues aren’t always good. Some of my favorite people to chat up on the server are reds. However, I don’t pvp.

Try not to take it to heart and don’t be embarrassed to ask for HELP… I have run into a few of the players I helped out with supplies to find them sitting at the bank nude… when I ask why, they say something to the effect that they lost it days ago and can’t afford anything new atm or they are too embarrassed to ask again… I know for a fact there are players that will help out a broke player just ask for assistance. I recently witnessed one of the most notorious reds give a helping hand and really set this player up… All because someone asked…

When trading player to player …. Only trade blessed items and deeds that are blessed… unless you know and trust the player. There are many vendor houses looking for players that will keep a vendor stock, ask in gen chat or post.

I know this isn’t the most comprehensive guide but I hope it helps out. I think it’s clear that my biggest suggestion is building a network of allies and help them as they help you. The reward won’t be gold but it will be worth the effort.

hope to see you in game
    York

2. Gethin

Gethin Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

See this makes me all happy that I rolled up on Siege. I just need to get better at trade skills to start selling! Thank you for the post York!

startle likes this.
  3. mikni

mikni Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I appreciate that you are helping new players get started, but this part is simply not true. For at least a year there hasn't been more than 3-4 active thieves on Siege. So it's not common at all. People don't even try to get one started anymore. Sure there are very few marks at the moment and there are so many templates better suited to make a quick buck, but I think most thieves aren't in it for the gold. On the other hand, playing a thief is extremely cheap and there is almost no chance that you wont be able to make more gold than you need. If you want to play a thief and be able to make a name for yourself this is the perfect time to start one.

York_Siege, Blaeke and the_gooch like this.
  4. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

If you only plane on having one char, and don't plane on doing hard spawn or PvP, this template could work for a player who mostly like hanging out, doing some crafting and some hunting for resources
    Gargoyles with
    Mysticism 120
    Imbuing 120
    Focus 80
    Tailoring 120
    Armslore 100
    Tinkering 100
    Magery 80

You can make your own suit, so little lose from dying.
    You can cast some magery including gate spell
    You can unraw stuff and sell what you don't need
    You can make money from selling imbued suits and jewelry
    You do not need a lot skills to put LRC on your first training suits

York_Siege and startle like this.
  5. mikni

mikni Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

You don't need to waste a week or two gaining stats with skills you don't want. What fun would that be? That's like saying you can't play before you have all skills trained. Make a character and train / play with the skills you want. And let stats raise along side with your skills.

6. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Just lock the stats you don't want and you will gain in the one you want

York_Siege likes this.
  7. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

This is awesome, York. Thank you!

York_Siege likes this.
  8. Zalfein

Zalfein Journeyman
    The DarkOutlaws, TDO

If you're starting from scratch without money, and if you like to do your own things without asking for help, I recommend starting with at least 40 tinkering and a few points in blacksmith to get a pickaxe. Then go mine and use the ingots to make more pickaxes/shovels and tinkering tools. A good place to start is in Ter Mur, you can mine in guarded zone (even inside the city).

That said, I would suggest to join NEW2, ask for help in general chat, and just start with 50 in the 2 hardest skills you want to train. Remember, on Siege, you can't train from an NPC. Training taming from 0, for example, can be a real pain.

Also, we have RoT on Siege. On prodo, you can train your skills one after the other. On Siege, you want to have all your skills at 70 at the same time and go through your RoT period only once, and GM all your skills at the same time.

About imbuing, once you hit 70, training imbuing is really easy on Siege because of RoT. In fact, you can train all the way to 120 by just unraveling. When you start at 50, remember that you can gain points from unraveling your own stuff (stuff with luck). For example, if you're training fletching and lumberjacking, make oak bows to get bows with luck and unravel them. You have gold ingots? Just unravel tinker made golden hammer (can't remember if the items need to be exceptional or not).

As York suggested, it's good to plan your stats (because of the daily cap on stat gain). For example, if you play only the weekends, maybe you can log 10 minutes a day during the week just to gain some stats. But, don't let that prevent you from playing. Not enough mana to train magery? Just ask in General Chat for items to boost your mana (don't be shy to ask for help).

Do you need magery to travel? We have on Siege an extensive network of teleport tiles. Ask people to show you public teleporters (visiting the umbra hub is a good starting point). Also, remember you can use public crystal portals and public corrupted crystal portals. Having a house near a dungeon, for example, make it a step away from the public corrupted crystal portal next to Minoc Moongate.

Zalfein

York_Siege and Blaeke like this.
  9. RueTor

RueTor Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Just a thought... Maybe it is a good time to replace the forum stickies above to help new players so they don't have to weed through old stuff?
    http://stratics.com/community/threa...a-guide-for-new-players-also-shard-faq.92849/
    http://stratics.com/community/threads/new-siege-faq-updated-january-2013.291428/

New stickies - Only allow the forum mods update the sticky to avoid clutter. Based on old stickies and posts by the general forum members, the forum mods will transfer clean data or helpful hints up to the new sticky.

1 - UO Siege Perilous - Character Creation
    Type of data - One character per account. Factual differences about Siege vs. Production
    Add some general info about the shard mechanics, but basically you only get one character per account so pick your character name and appearance wisely to avoid spending money on tokens later. Can also get point to the discussion community and how your reputation will follow your character.

2 - UO Siege Perilous - Character Stats
    Type of data - Max stat points per day.
    Pick skills from the list in the link below. If you are looking to build your character in your spare time, log in daily and work skills from the list below until you get your (11 points, 15 points, or whatever the limit is today) then log out. If you have access to a Soulstone or fragment, you can work the skills up to 24 then flush them off your character and repeat the process (fastest the skill gains, the better the opportunity for a stat gain). Flushing a skill off a Soulstone fragment will not burn any uses away from the fragment.
    http://uo2.stratics.com/skill-guides/stat-and-skills-general/skill-stat-management

3 - UO Siege Perilous - Character Skills
    Type of data - Max skill points per day/per time
    Add in the skill/timer chart. Discussion or tips on using various scrolls to speed skill gain.

4 - UO Siege Perilous - Earning Gold
    Type of data - Earning gold in game as a newbie, then progress to selling items on the forum

5 - UO Siege Perilous - Community
    Type of data - All the general stuff about the shard. Carry what you can lose. How to be nice or hated. All the popular opinions.

6 - UO Siege Perilous - Guilds (Active)
    Type of data - Bio on "active" guilds. Current contact info for those that want new members. If it is referral or invite only just say so the new player can look in game for the guild style they like.

7 - UO Siege Perilous - Guilds (Historical or Dormant)
    Type of data - Keep #6 current to assist new comers to the shard. Move old data here to avoid clutter in #6 above.

Rue Tor
    Citizen of Jhelom
    *Back to my Sunday walk in the streets of Jhelom*

#9 RueTor, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    York_Siege likes this.
  10. Sprago

Sprago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend IPKU

what do people use to capture a video i have a few ways for new people to get started that i would like to make a video of it would be the easiest way to show them

York_Siege likes this.
  11. Flair

Flair Lore Keeper
    OrderOfDrunkenElders

xsplit Sprago. you can broadcast live or record local and control where on the screen it records.

York_Siege likes this.
  12. York_Siege

York_Siege Seasoned Veteran

I think you have a good ideal Spargo, it would make it easier to some. I think players like yourself that are geared more for pvp has a great deal of knowledge they can offer and it would be great to see some thoughts on this. Normally pvp geared post have been just a "pissing contest" but one that covers the FAQ of pvp on siege would help just about everyone. (including those who help the new enter - i'm sure they type the same thing over and over.)

Ladra, you have a valid point about people that don't play siege for the gold. I think that goes for games in general, they really should just be played for fun or to give a challenge. However the point of this guide is to stay as general as possible based on the experiences that myself and a few others have had. Gold is not the have all and end all but it is needed for most player types and the fact remains that a miner can make 4 to 5 times the gold (needed in start up) than a thief. Once the player has built up some funds and resources they will be free to play as they please. I think the main point of this article is to make allies and get players to set root. A player will come back to the server after a rough night if they have allies.
    A friend is worth more than any amount of gold.

Ru I think you are on to something; some of these links are a little out of date.

Thank you all the replies and i'm glad it seems to be well received.... even got the presidential nod.

13. the_gooch

the_gooch Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Hello.

You make a valid point. However as a new Theif myself I can tell you that creating a Thief from scratch requires ZERO gold to train. No tools, No resources needed. Hell you dont even need to wear armor! Being a thief is an awesome start up character and is nothing but profitable from the moment you log in.

14. mikni

mikni Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Yes, I was only talking about thieves. You probably don't want to make a thief thinking it can fund your other characters.