1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

An OFFICIAL UO Forum

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Jirel of Joiry, Sep 16, 2014.

?

Would you support an OFFICIAL UO Forum?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2014.
  1. Yes,

44.3%
  2. No

55.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jirel of Joiry

Jirel of Joiry Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

how many would support an official UO forum that would require you to have an active PAID account. Also your account would be linked to your Master Account. That way if someone try to carry a forum disagreement beyond the forum, started posting someone RL info, or some other unsavory behavior. Broadsword would know who you were and deal with you. It would make for a safer forum environment.

2. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

So you want an official forum? You do know that would mean there would be even more restricitions than stratics, right?

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  3. Aran

Aran INFRACTION INFRACTION INFRACTION!
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

No, I don't like having a forum tied to my game account. Been there, done that, glad it's gone.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  4. Dodger

Dodger Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Ridonculous, so you want forum beefs to carry over ingame? I have already had a game acct hacked by an old mod here, lets make it easier.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  5. Spiritless

Spiritless Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Many games have their own official forums. I think it would be beneficial personally. I think you generally get a lot better participation on official boards too from a wider spectrum of the playerbase because they're easy to find and recognized as the place to participate if you want to speak with the developers, etc. Fan forums are less recognized by the playerbase at large of any game generally.

Those are the only reasons I'd support official forums anyway, not the nonsense in the OP.

Tanieran, Eaerendil and Riyana like this.
  6. Aran

The big issue is "Should an infraction on the forum affect the game account or vice versa?" and my opinion is no.

The Zog historian likes this.
  7. Spiritless

Stratics Veteran

I don't think infractions on the forums have to be related to your ability to play the game, no. A forum ban is a forum ban. It shouldn't affect your ability to login to the game for basic infractions. I know that's how the old boards worked but I don't agree with that.

Viper09 likes this.
  8. Aran

That's inevitably what the crybabies who want "official forums" beg for. They want the bad man to have to go away completely.

****, there are people who want people put in jail for being mean online.

9. Spiritless

Stratics Veteran

Well, I was largely ignoring the nonsense in the OP which is an attempt at a continuation of drama that's been locked several times. Fundamentally I support official forums for the reasons I stated as the core idea I believe is a solid one. I don't think past negative experience of the old official boards over a decade ago should shape whether or not you'd support the concept fundamentally as I'd like to believe things have moved on since then and an acceptable solution could be worked out to encourage maximum participation there.

Of course, these are just pipe-dream ramblings anyway. I really doubt EA or "Broadsword" would put resources into this when they have a basic level of coverage provided to them by fansites now for free. :p The closest we'll likely ever get is this.

Tamais, Viper09 and Eaerendil like this.
  10. startle

startle Siege... Where the fun begins.
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Gilfane

We're here now. We've been here forever.
    Stratics is the official forum, in the sense that the dev's will ( do ) comment here..... I have no doubt that they read UHall frequently, as their posts suggest... I think we're fine where we are... But that's just my opinion.

11. Spiritless

Stratics Veteran

Yes, devs do comment here but it isn't the same as having an official forum. The answer page I linked has about 30 new topics this month from players looking for information/advice about the game or their accounts. Why did those players make threads there as opposed to here? Because that's where they find first as the 'official' Q+A area where they think they'll get the best support. Some of those would likely have got better responses if they had posted here, but they don't know about here and likely never will because this is a separate site and not forum.uo.com

An official forum would be universally recognized as the central place for UO players to come together for discussions and for new players to seek help. I'd suggest it would be much more active than Stratics and have a constant stream of new people who are trying out UO to sustain itself. This would be better for the community at large and even for EA/"Broadsword" themselves.

#11 Spiritless, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  12. Dodger

Dodger Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Why start another forum when the game is on its last leg? All you would be doing is fracturing the ever dwindling community.

13. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah

this is the official forum.

ok so you make a uo.com one... noone is going to use it other then the members on stratics ..

no point. stratics is well known to the population. of someone does not know about it .. they are new or whatever.. i can guarantee they will.. uoguide and stratics is always mentioned in gen chat and help channel

14. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

I like the idea. But it would cost money so EA will bail out on that lol. But if people knew who you were in game, they might think before they post. But my name is one of my main character names on Great Lakes and that never stopped me from pretty much saying what I want. lol. But as I recall you couldn't tie a poster to their game account anyway, EA could, but that was it. But back in the day the UO forums were pretty strict. And there you didn't just lose access to the boards, you could get kicked out of the actual game. So be careful what you wish for. I think people get away with a lot more here than they would on a more official UO forum. At least here they tend to give you a warning when your starting to cross their line, I've been PMed before about why a post was removed or whatever. That never would have happened in the old UO forums. It was one, two, three strikes your out. In before the lock! :p

15. Dodger

Dodger Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Cappy, I like the idea as well, but I also like the idea of a unicorn sticking its horn in me while I evacuate on it's face. It is a fantasy that any sane person will not pay to see. Long live stratics and It's motley crew.

azmodanb likes this.
  16. The Old Man

The Old Man Journeyman
    Premium

Would be able to have a poll that had meaningful results, but beyond that I can't see a benefit.

Unless you closed Stratics we'd all stay here anyway!

The Old Man

Rieley and Uriah Heep like this.
  17. Dodger

Dodger Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Hey om, your from the Oceana bully crew if I remember rightly, a dead shard dissuading players to play so you can farm unabated and transfer pixels to atl.

18. The Old Man

The Old Man Journeyman
    Premium

Dodger, if the 'om' in yr post refers to me then...Nope! (Europa & Siege mainly, The Old Man is only a forum name)

19. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Official game forums are generally much less restrictive than stratics. this isnt even arguable. just look around at other games.

im basically done with stratics other than selling stuff, so i wont be replying or continuing any discussion. just would like to point that out this simple fact.

Scribbles likes this.
  20. Capt. Lucky

The old UO forums were VERY strict. How they would be today is anyone's guess.

21. Dodger

Dodger Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

All apologies, there is an oceania crew of bully boys made up of chars named old man, don Juan and others that will ...forget it go there and find out for yourself.

The Old Man likes this.
  22. Ellie

Ellie Seasoned Veteran
    Gilfane

There has been enough trouble with linking accounts to a main account. And now you want to add something else to that account. A BIG NO on that one.

23. Capt. Lucky

Well EA would certainly link a forum account to a game account. That's a no doubt about it. If that's what your talking about :)

24. NuSair

NuSair Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

No offense to Stratics, but I would prefer it if UO had it's own official forums.

25. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Sorry, I don't want to be wrapped in cotton. I like to live dangerously.

Dodger and Smoot like this.
  26. Aran

You were clearly never on the MyUO forums. It was as stifling as they could make it. Make a post a mod didn't like, whether it was actually breaking the RoC? Three day probation from the forum, and a three day probation from the game. I complain about <Redacted, since he actually is pretty terrible> regularly, but he's nowhere near as bad as they were.

I'm actually more free with my words in-game.

The Zog historian likes this.
  27. Veldrane

Veldrane Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

The irony is that the OP doesn't realize that all of her drama stirring posts would get her the same punishment that she's wishing on others on Broadsword ran forums.

To the actual topic at hand, official forums do tend to prompt more interaction with the developers for most games but given UO's age and relatively small development staff, I believe that way things are current working is a pretty good alternative to Broadsword creating their own forums, hiring moderators (because you could NOT use volunteer moderators on an official forum), etc.

Now what I would love to see Broadsword do is have some kind of community manager that actively interacts with the various UO forums, facebook, and other outlets.

Riyana likes this.
  28. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Campaign Patron

For those who say Stratics is the official forum: not really. Stratics is a third party site that happens to have the devs' participation and blessing. It's a weird relationship really if you think about it.

I liked the old official UO boards, but they could indeed be a bit stifling. However, that is also true here.

UO has always had a serious communication problem. Dumping their official forums and letting a volunteer third party site pick up the slack was a poor move that made the communication issues much worse. It is not immediately obvious to new/returning/unaware players that Stratics is the place to go for information and dev interaction.

If nothing else, the official UO site should be clearer about the relationship with Stratics. I don't think the dev team has the resources for starting and running their own official board--and frankly I'd rather they spent their time squashing bugs, making new content, and addressing the out of control cheating in the game rather than building a new forum.

I would definitely welcome improved in-game communication/messages about where to go for communication though.

Smoot likes this.
  29. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Broadsword could just suck it up and name Stratics as the official forums ( after working out a deal with Stratics of course) and put a link to here on UO.com and the patcher.

Instead of starting running and dealing with an official board, I'd rather them take care of a few old problems, like maybe
    Origin Store?
    Account Management?

Don't spread limited resources into yet another project.

Rieley likes this.
  30. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Nope a waste of resources, money and time, they could spend that effort in advertising UO, in which they don't do very well.

Player base is shockingly low even on atl at times.

31. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You must have had some unusual experiences then. The forums I have been on, the old UO forums for one, were very strict.

#31 Viper09, Sep 16, 2014
  32. Capt. Lucky

Come to think of it... what if you were a new player? Wouldn't you think the game has no forums? In general games that don't have forums are by nature rather crappy games lol. Even if you found Stratics you probably still wouldn't think it was the "offical forums". UO might be hurting itself more than they think not having forums. I mean when new to a game, trying to ask how things work, the forums are usually the first place ya head to. Or one of the first anyway. If I was new and decided the game didn't have forums, I'd be thinking this can't be much of a game. One of the first places I head to when checking out a new game is the forums to see what players are saying about it. I assume what the players are saying is the real deal and not the hype. To me a game with no forums is a red flag.

#32 Capt. Lucky, Sep 16, 2014
  33. Aran

I have never even glanced at an 'official' forum for a game other than UO. I'm pretty sure that my experience is on par with most of the millions upon millions of people who play games.

34. Capt. Lucky

I think your way off base. Before you decide to plop down 10 or 15 a month you wouldn't even check to see what the players are saying? I'd think your in the minority. And it's not the money, why would I waste my time on a game where the players don't seem to like it? That's what forums do for me.

35. Capt. Lucky

At the very least instead of having a big button on UO.com that says "Stratics" they should have one that says "Our Official Forums Hosted By Stratics". That would be something at least.

36. Aran

Steam, Metacritic, GameFAQs, sure. Plenty of people likely check those. Official forums? Less likely, I imagine.

37. The Zog historian

The Zog historian Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

There's a big difference between "blessing" a third-party site (such that GMs will direct players there) and taking on possible legal liability of declaring it "official." EA would do best to stick to "UO forums hosted @ Stratics.com" and leave it at that.

38. Vor

Vor Grand Inquisitor

Speaking of Steam.. I thought I saw UO had been Greenlit but that was like 6 months ago?

39. Magdalene

Magdalene Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

No, what would you expect :p ?

40. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Sage
    Stratics Veteran VCS

We had that pre-stratics. Worked out great. EA decided to discontinue those forums.

I doubt they've had a change of heart after 14 years. Maybe broadsword will consider it.

Anyways, a lot of time and resources have been invested into stratics. While locking out the haters and sock puppets would be nice in theory. It will also discourage new players who have questions about the game.

41. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

im talking about the majority of modern games. not UO. i doubt screenshots from some of the games on stratics could even be posted on stratics without being removed for being too graphic / offensive.

42. Magdalene

Magdalene Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I am all for free speech and democracy.
    I really am.
    (Stratics staff are).

But one thing is giving players a place to express their wishes, complaints, anguish, joy, whatever and etc. and it is a completely different thing to allow abuse, trolling, bullying...
    Do I have to remind anyone that bullying and abuse in game discourage any new players and sometimes also drive away the old ones?

By all means state your opinions on Stratics, but do it in civilised fashion - as always and forever: personal attacks, swearing, trolling and other means of destroing the community will not be allowed here.

PS - some people should consider themselves lucky that their "performance" on Stratics has no bearing on their game accounts...

Rieley and Lady Tia like this.
  43. Zuckuss

Zuckuss Order | Chaos
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni K^S

All of those sites for all of those games that come and go, grow and die, have referenced Stratics (and taken notes) at one time or another, because the fact of the matter is, is that this website is the granddaddy of them all. Even UO's Official Forums came and went, but guess where the majority of the players still went for their forum fix?... here.

Yes, Stratics has standards where others don't. One of those standards; accountability is something that other web forums overlook for the sake of producing hard numbers. You want a place run from a corporate office, maintained by staff who don't even have involvement in the game(s) they feature? Have at it. This forum was built and maintained by our peers of the Ultima world. In the meantime, if UO is the game you like, you are at the top dog forum which supports it... whether you agree with it or not.

Rieley and Shamus Turlough like this.
  44. azmodanb

azmodanb Grand Poobah

if your a new player and you type in uo forums on Google...

bam first two listed ... first one.. not veryany recent posts...

second. stratics

45. Gidge

Gidge Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

46. Capt. Lucky

I knew Stratics was the Official UO Forums. I was there when it happened, lol. I didn't know it was a secret, lol.

47. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Really I don't care, and personally, I have never felt that stratics was "unsafe", nor do we need to start punishing people outside a forum for their supposed misbehavior on a forum.
    It's really not an issue. If you feel like you are being harassed by someone on a forum just literally ignore them via the ignore button. Problem solved.

The only reason I think a game run forum should exist is because not having one makes the game look bad. Every game in the world has its own forums, the fact the UO outsources their "official" forum needs looks pretty amateurish imo.

Really though, I was on the MYUO forums, in fact I switched from stractics to use them, then back when they closed, and it wasn't really any different by my recollection.

48. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Was that the name of their guild crew of bully boys?

For topic
    I did sign up for uo guide once upon a time,but I like stratics and their forums better.I do at times check things on UO guide but never sign in. I would hate to have official forums I would be afraid of having to use my email linked to my accounts & PW, or possibly one of my games user names, & PW. If they ever do make their own forums I'll be here where I feel safe.

49. Aran

You don't have to log in to use UOGuide's wiki

50. Dodger

Dodger Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I am just posting this to let you know I have not read any of this post.

But because I have not read any of this post I may have read it before and replied to someone.

If I have read this post before and replied to it please disregard this messana.

Damn spellchecker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.