1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Analysis: Why Aren't There More Console MMOs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Edward The Less, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Check THIS out from Gamasutra explaining why there are so few console MMOs.

2. Aster

Aster Guest

That was an interesting article - thanks for linking to it. It was originally posted on Joe Ludwig's dev blog for the Pirates of the Burning Sea ... Joe might be a touched biased :p

I posted today in the EAL/TSO forums about Home scheduled for open working beta. It is a PS3 property. I don't do console games, but I find the premise of Home to be very exciting. Here's a link to the article: clickie

3. popsicles

popsicles Guest

I agree with the article. Its kind of like why I don't like playing first person shooters on consoles either. The controls are not as good as it would be on a PC with a keyboard and mouse.

4. al-Maroc

al-Maroc Guest

he's wrong about the no kb thing. FFXI allows the user to use a USB keyboard, and you can use an extender to have that puppy sit on your lap across the room with you heh/

5. Gallahan

Gallahan Guest

I sort of wonder whether every console should ship with a keyboard and mouse. Very inexpensive components these day that would open consoles up to whole spheres of gaming that have been inaccessible to them. Plus they are cheap :p

6. Vorthaaa

Vorthaaa Guest

Keyboards would be awesome!

7. Trish

Trish Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yep or like my hubby (360) and kid (PS3) with a wireless KB. Much better than tripping over that cord in the living room!

8. al-Maroc

al-Maroc Guest

i didn't know ffxi can be played on the ps3!

9. Trish

Trish Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Yep, by using the PS2 disks. :) Now I may be wrong but I swear I heard this somewhere.. it will only work on the first generation PS3s before they made them not backwards compatible. The game doesn't look any better on the PS3 (in fact I thought it looked worse).