1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

And the grinds just keep getting worse

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Cerwin Vega, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Cerwin Vega

Cerwin Vega Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Has anyone tried sifting the fragment out of the sand? What a waste of time, I dont mind some grind but you get 1 frag every 20 mins if your lucky so it would take over 3 hours just to get 1 arti... good luck trying to earn a set.

kRUXCg7 likes this.
  2. legendsguy

legendsguy Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I agree with the whole of my heart. I tried to sift through the sands but quickly became too discouraged to continue. However, some seem to enjoy it--perhaps in the same vein that they enjoy fishing (something that I, incidentally, enjoy [not in real life, of course, but online]). I know one particular lady who was having a fine time sitting in the sands, sifting all day along. Besides, these artifacts are pretty much garbage deco--so if someone wants to obtain them I say let them. Perhaps if they were crucial to some plot, and/or if they had stats/properties/mods on them, I would feel differently. As is the case of them being merely for prestige (and little more indeed), I think the grind may be exactly what is needed to ensure they retain at least a modicum of value and/or appreciation.

kRUXCg7 and Uriah Heep like this.
  3. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I was happy to sift the sand..... Until I found out that you can't get the scrolls as artifacts.... Those were the ones I very much wanted. Sure the pictures and the bones are interesting and nice.... even the urns are ok.... but Meh... I really wanted the scrolls. And then I would have liked the kegs for my tavern but I hear you can't get those either.... and finally someone said you can't get the armor either. That was the last I cared. I quit sifting after that.

I never really cared much about the city thing.... I worked 9 different characters up to adored in all the 9 towns... got my banners when they came out x3... then it got real old... factor in all the decay..... I totally can not log in 50+ characters every day... hell I can't even log in every day period. And the biggest beef I have about the whole city loyalty is first off not all Cities are giving it..... I mean some folk feel left out because places like Serpents Hold, Umbra, Nu'Jelm, and Bucs Den aren't even available for the whole loyalty quest thing.... and I am in a Player Run town.... I could care less about being loyal to any other city but my own. And I can't be the Barron of Newcastle so my interest in the whole quest thing has seriously waned.

kRUXCg7, G.v.P, Ryna and 1 other person like this.
  4. G.v.P

G.v.P Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The positive is you don't have to loot the fragments and thus you can't be griefed as much, since they pop into your pack. I was glad the monster killing part didn't really matter as far as looting. Still, would have been nice to have a fragment counter. Hard to remember how many fragments you have in a stack after putting the game down for awhile.

I finished up one arty, got some bones, then I stopped because I read people weren't getting the armor. I just wanted the equippable stuff, I'm not into deco I can't use.

5. Eaerendil

Eaerendil Professional Mall Santa and Legendary Piglet
    Professional Governor Stratics Veteran King'sYewHighlanders

Sifting was FUN! Got tons nice deco-stuff and imbuable weapons. I liked it and I will continue as long as the event in on!

6. Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir Crazed Zealot

Sifting is not fun, you can stop shilling now...

Clicking the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...get the hint?.. is BORING AS FRACK.

Yet this is the kind of "exciting" events we get a lead up to the 15th anniversary. City loyalty, graverobbers, sifting, and the king of grinds...the void pool. After Part V, we get a community annoying, scripter promoting competition grind for Part VI. YAY! *coughs*

What was the last arc? Oh, yeah...it was a grind too. Killing the Minions of Scelestus to hopefully get one of 10 documents that you didn't already have. Then we got to move on to two quests that were far better - though they did include one of the most poorly thought-out mobs, the Night Terror.

I get that grinds extend the life of content and are relatively easy to create, but that mostly just strikes me as lazy. We can point to several events from recent years that were fun, even if they were just well-disguised grinds. Grizelda the Hag, Candle of Love from 2007, Halloween 2009, Shadowlord town invasions, Bane vs. Ophidians, Bane city invasions, Ricardo's lantern. These were fun events, why can't the Devs emulate what worked?

kRUXCg7 and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  7. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

What's boring for one person is fun for another.

I personally enjoy sifting.....each time PRAYING not to get a paragon scorpion because they kill my poor pet and then they kill me and I don't like dying all that much.

Getting lots of unravelable ??? yeah...stuff that I can unravel :) because I am still working on Imbuing, I LOVE the deco items...and I make decent gold when I'm out there.

Lets all just agree to disagree and say that this event isn't for EVERYONE but some people do enjoy it.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  8. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

1 wish - Which video, or which Dev stated "If you don't like it, don't play it"? I think he sat on the right side of the screen, and w/ Cal in it - I 'd hate to misquote.
    searched, but didn't have much luck. thnx n advance

9. Picus at the office

Picus at the office Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

If there was real gold to be made this stuff would be easy....but clearly no one is really interested.

kRUXCg7 and Liriel B like this.
  10. Martyna Zmuir

Actually, that was in reference to Shard of the Dead, and it was here on Stratics. I believe that Dev is not with the team anymore. Its a terrible sentiment for a Dev to impart to the players, btw.

I think the numbers of people who dislike the grinds, including sifting, far outweigh those who do. We've had what, two polls on that?

11. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Wasn't it Supreem that said that?
    Anyway I took part in the sifting at first but I was doing it for the kegs and when I discovered they weren't featuring I stopped.
    The scorpions were quite fun, but the rotworms and bloodworms, although reminiscient of 'Dune' and 'Tremors' were just annoying and boring. A few different monsters might have held my attention for a bit longer along with a full set of the heirlooms.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  12. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

I think it was, I just didn't want to atribute it to the wrong one, or quote them out of context, was this only about TC?

13. Martyna Zmuir

Hen is correct, it was Supreem in this thread about Shard of the Dead.

14. OvenBird

OvenBird Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I read on a fan site something that piqued my interest. The author pointed out that the recent mechanization of UO denizens and the mindlessness of the grinds seem to go hand in hand. Perhaps we really are being made into robots.

kRUXCg7 and Sauteed Onion like this.
  15. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

It wasn't something I read, I watched it. Unfortunately, most of those utube videos are all now dead, i guess because Andy left.

16. Blood Ghoul

The crazy part about it for me is all i wanted were the two tapestries. Being on a dead server nothing is for sale so if I wanted them I had to keep sifting. I have every single artifact, plus multiple extras and still have not gotten the Meer tapestry. I would have stopped after those two had they been the first two i got but now I feel like I need to keep going after wasting so much time there I need to get the last piece.

17. BluDjinn

BluDjinn Journeyman

Blood Ghoul you are going to hate what I have to report about my one time (three/ four? ) hour quest for these Artifacts.

This mind numbing repetitive shifting was enough to convince me that once I had all the fragments I needed for an artifact, I would not be back.
    And what do I get but the Meer Tapestry.
    I have no use for this ugly grey rectangle, As the BOD reward ones are much prettier.

I think the whole thing is just a waste of time.

PS. I play on Siege. If you are also here with the faithful, Maybe we can make a swap for something.

Luck with your shifting!
    Leprechaun, Gilfane Wizard.

18. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot

How ungratefully pathetic lol.

If you do not like it simply dont do it. There are only like 7 million other cool things to do in UO.

Can always pop another ADD med when you get really bad.

19. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I'm in complete agreement with Martyna..... Grinds stink...

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  20. Cirno

Cirno Purple Pony Princess
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Grinds aren't really a new thing in UO, though.
    There are very few systems in the game that aren't a series of unengaging repetitive actions from start to end.

21. Landicine

Landicine Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I spent more time doing Exodus Nexus puzzles than doing sifting, but I resented the sifting mechanic. Sifting could have been fun. I actually enjoyed it for about 20 minutes. I didn't mind it for about an hour. I disliked it for the second hour. I despised it for the final hour.

I think if a few things had been tweaked, I would have sifted more. The system wasn't as much a problem as the rates and numbers involved. People do repetitive things like fishing constantly and enjoy it. I've enjoyed fishing while I sail from place to place, heading to the next SOS or completing a quest. It is a system that could easily have felt more or less like a grind, but the particulars of the system work. Sifting is on the other end of the grind spectrum. The low drop rate, high monster spawn rate, lack of interesting combat/loot on the monsters, and annoying combat lockout made it problematic.

Sevin0oo0 and Martyna Zmuir like this.
  22. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I did it for like... 2 hours, was borred like 30 minutes in, but wanted to get at least one completed. Didn't make it, got so tired of the constant spawning monsters. Never went back. Not fun.

23. MalagAste

I can't say for sure how many hours I spent sifting..... but I REALLY wanted those scrolls... I got about 6 or 8 of the artifacts if that tells you about how many hours I sifted... even when some jerk-off figured out he could sift on a young for hours of totally uninterrupted time creating 100's of monsters all over the desert making it near impossible for anyone else to enter the desert. I went cleared out the desert and sifted...

But when I heard that you can't get the scrolls or kegs... I instantly quit. And I'll not be going back to it unless those are added in.

I like fishing but you can' fish 100's of different places.... dungeons, ships, any waters even in the abyss.... and doom. There are dozens of fish I've never caught... but I'd sure like to.

Somehow that doesn't seem like grinding..... The rioters... seems like grinding... The sifting.... most definitely grinding... Getting the Nexus deeds.... absolutely grinding... I do tons of events and quests and such in-game if it gets me something I like... but if the reward isn't worth the grind..... forget it. 3 hours for one artifact deco item..... NOT worth the time.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  24. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I checked it out today. The first tray got one piece. The second, 5 pieces. Then 1 every tray after that...

I was sifting with my fighter and the one thing i can say pissed me off:

[Paragon] Desert Scorpion.

Unfortunately, i bought a melee fighter to a mage fight. All that creature does is Mortal Wound/Poison. No real AI or strategy there just good ole cheap tactics.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  25. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Honestly to me it seems like 95% of everything added high seas and onward has been implemented in a way so that a tiny amount of content is stretched to its absolute breaking point trying to make it last. It's not that the content is bad, its just not very much, and you have to do it 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 times to get anywhere.

I for one would rather they just give us stuff that you can do without wanting to shoot yourself, and have droughts in between (Like when we had expansions... remember those crazy days?!?) rather than stupid things you have to keep doing or that take an absurd amount of commitment to finish.

26. Martyna Zmuir

I liked the Nexus puzzles. While the whole process to gather 50 cards is a grind, its kinda fun. This kind of disguised grind, with a reasonably attainable goal, is the best way to make them.

The sifting isn't even remotely interesting. click. click. click. click. oh, look, a monster... all kill. click. click. click. click. rinse, repeat till bored to death.

Had the heirlooms only required 4 or 5 fragments, people might have been slightly less apathetic. Slightly.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  27. the 4th man

the 4th man Lore Master

I can think of worse..........one million plain old crabs to get a boat........or 150 million in gold, providing you don't dish out real life cash for one. Which, btw, I sure won't do.

28. Martyna Zmuir

Its $11.99 USD. Not exactly bank-breaking.

29. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

From reading in posts...
    Nexus: zillion mobs in a small place? no thanks, I can get all the spam I want in New Shame.
    Sifting: grind grind go away, come again some other day.
    So, Thanks for the "spoilers". I won't be earning whatever they're offering.
    BTW, you can't spoil what's bad to begin with.

30. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

It's pretty ugly dude. It's sad how i attempt to participate in current events. As someone who came back because they missed this game, i push myself further than most people probably will and its really sad.

I don't see a melee fighter taking down the paragon desert scorpion but the other ones are cake. Still though, i was able to show up with my mage and easily handle it after getting killed after multiple attempts with my fighter.

Sad!!! Thats all i can say about that

(Did i say "After" or "Sad" enough)

Sevin0oo0 likes this.