1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Another Returning T-Hunter

Discussion in 'UO Fishing and Treasure Hunting' started by Meridian, May 22, 2013.

1. Meridian

Meridian Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

After several years I have found myself once again in Sosaria.

When I last left, I found that I was fragmented in too many directions and it made the game more of a job than a game. I have always enjoyed treasure hunting and dungeon rares collecting. As a result I have decided to make characters to handle each set of tasks. Any advise would be great for either character.

Treasure Hunter

Cartography 100 (done)
    Lockpicking 100 (done)
    Magery 100 (currently 110)
    Meditation 100 (currently 110)
    Eval Int 100 (currently 110)
    Mining 100 (done)
    Mysticism 100 (haven't started)

I can move Cartography off to a soul stone when I hunt after i have decoded the maps. Is this a decent template? What skills should i power scroll above 100?

I have GM Fishing and Hiding that I plan to move off to the rares hunter.

Dungeon Rares Hunter

Stealing 120 (haven't started but have the power scroll)
    Hiding 100 (done)
    Stealth (haven't started)
    Magery 100
    Meditation 100
    Eval Int 100 or Resisting Spells 100
    Wrestling 100 (haven't started)

Any advise or thoughts would help. The forums have been useful to my return and I appreciate the information. So much to learn!

Thanks,
    Priam (Sonoma)

#1 Meridian, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

If your going for mystic then I would drop the med and go for focus. Focus is like eval intel for a mystic.

3. Gb8719

Gb8719 Journeyman

My treasure hunter has a similar build. I didn't bother with Eval for magery, however, since most of the spells that I cast for 1v1 damage [which is pretty rare I'm attacking something 1v1] are mysticism based spells and buffed by having Focus.
    I use Magery strictly for a quality of life improvement with gate, res, heal, etc.

I'm able to solo all maps up to level 6 with a RC and some AOE damage spells from time to time.
    I run:
    Cart 100
    LP 100
    Magery 100
    Mystic 120
    Focus 120
    Meditation 109
    Mining 71

Definitely consider getting Myst up to 120 to decrease your chances of failing on a RC. Nothing is worse than failing to cast RC when you've got 2-3 Ancient Wyrms chasing you down unmounted.

4. skaven

skaven Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I like your template and i think i will start training mysticism :D
    A question tough: i have no soulstone at the moment, and my T-hunter double as my fisher.
    Do you think this template could do well, and be useful in doing Tmaps, Mibs and other fishing related activities?

Cartography 100
    Lockpicking 100
    Magery 100
    Mystic 120
    Focus 120
    Fishing 100
    Mining 80

Is the lack of Meditation crippling, or it would be only mean more time to do the map (to regen mana)?

#4 skaven, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  5. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I do just fine with 120 focus, some 18 MR on my suit.
    Usually, you won't be casting much if you go with the mystic route.
    You will use arcane empowerment (if you have SW), drop a RC, invis, rinse, repeat.
    Sometimes you will drop WOD on the big nasties to speed things up a bit if you have SW as well. Works good with those pesky Ancient Wyrms.

6. Gb8719

Gb8719 Journeyman

You'll be perfectly fine without meditation as long as you try to get the 40 LMC on your suit and as much mana regen as you can fit. Unless I'm having my RC constantly killed or dispelled, I find that I have enough time between summons to regain the initial mana cost.
    I've often considered dropping meditation for fishing, but I don't think the life of a fisherman is one that appeals to me too much.

Also, keep in mind that you need 81 mining in order to dig within 3 tile spaces of the treasure map. It's fine if you want to leave it at 80, but you'll need Jacob's Pickaxe [a New Haven quest item] or a pair of +5 Mining gloves. At 80 mining you'll need to be within 2 tiles of the treasure chest.

7. skaven

skaven Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks for the answers. I will get the Jacob's Pickaxe as i plan on getting mining from scratch.
    I will start working on my suit ... and then try and get some Tmaps to solve hehe :D

8. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

Have you tried finding them without mining? If you can do it without mining, it saves a lot of skill points for something else or going higher on your current skills.

You can find the entire thread HERE.

9. skaven

skaven Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Read all the thread, very useful and good news for me.
    Here in Europa there are still "treasure map libraries"... are they useful now?
    Using those, i never had reasons to raise mining even in the past. :D

10. DreadLord Lestat

DreadLord Lestat Social Media Liaison
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Social Media Liaison Stratics Legend PITMUCK

Sometimes it can get you close to the area so you don't have to run as much. The maps now are random locations, I have done a lot and don't think I have ever done the same spot twice. If you don't like a location due to bad spawn, put the map away and check again in 30 days. It will reset to tattered after 30 days and will be a different location when you decode it.

On Chesapeake, I helped build this system HERE. Some shards have copied it so if you look around, yours may have it too.

#10 DreadLord Lestat, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013