1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips for a brand new UO player?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Valerin, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Valerin

Valerin Visitor

Long time vet here that sold account awhile back. I'm going to give UO another shot with a brand new characters, along with a friend I've recruited to play (never played before, hence the title) with me.

What is the state of the game, especially PvM? We were thinking about starting on Atlantic. Are there good pvm guilds? Long-term goal will be Peerless/Champs/general hunting. EVENTUALLY pvp but it's going to take awhile to build decent enough suits from scratch, for that.

Character-build advice? Especially for two people playing together? One mage and one warrior or archer? Any advice would be really helpful. I want to leave her with a good first impression of UO and the community.

Flagg likes this.
  2. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

The Wheel of Time (TWT) is large and fairly active pvm guild. also some casual pvp. Blood Order of Brotherhood (BOOB) is another, much newer guild. i dont personally know any of them but seem like alot of members.

2 people playing together i would suggest bard and warrior. very good combo. bards can give major buffs now.

Tamer mage with archer or thrower is also a good combo.

mage / warrior is fine, but will just be for heals / cures, not the insane buffs provided by a bard.

3. Valerin

Valerin Visitor

Interesting didn't even think of bard. Could a beginning bard be effective without any financial support for suit, instruments, etc? Starting from 0 gold (or 1k lol) here keep in mind.

Also what complimentary skills for the bard skills? Magery?

4. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Governor Campaign Patron UWF

Hi Val -

Welcome back to the game. I am the GM of a mid-sized guild on the Atlantic shard that does various PVM hunts, peerless bosses, champ spawns and will help get you geared up to get started and answer any other questions you have about character creation. We have a TeamSpeak channel that you and your friend would be gladly welcome to come into.

If interested, send me a private message here on Stratics or feel free to ICQ me. Best of luck!

- Merlin

Lord Frodo likes this.
  5. BeaIank

BeaIank Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

Cross healing warriors can be a very effective combo, and the best geared one can tank while the other one adds to the damage with slayers and EoO.
    You can even have one have hit lower defence on the weapon while the other carries hit lower attack for enemy debuff.

6. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Certifiable
    Campaign Supporter

I recommend a gargoyle mystic mage bard - very powerful if you can get the 120 scrolls for focus and mysticism - 110 magery plenty for pvm - don't need resist for pvm - gargoyle can fly in and out while casting rising colossus or bombard - can discord monsters, insta-heal self with healing stone, heal partner with magery - killer - and you don't need much more than a basic LRC suit with some LMC and MR

7. OREOGL

OREOGL Babbling Loonie
    Professional Campaign Patron

These people are on crack, go cheap with an archer who can fit pretty much any scenario.