1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else having trouble reaching the UO Stratics main page?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Basara, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

I can't get there - only to the message boards, right now.

2. It appears to be down.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

It appears to be down.

[/ QUOTE ]Mmhmm... Quite so

4. it seems to do that often.

5. Yenji Yasagari

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

AYE! using a t3 connection, I cannot get to the page.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

same here

7. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

it seems to do that often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, since the move to the new servers, it's been greatly improved.

We do know there is an issue and it's being fixed.

8. crayfish

crayfish Guest

Same problem here.

9. <blockquote><hr>

I can't get there - only to the message boards, right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

10. Guest

Guest Guest

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Everyone told Stratics to Stop playing around with Blackrock! But Nooooooooo, they woulden't listen, Now look what happened............. [​IMG]

12. [​IMG] Soooo ... blackrock fixed it? 'cause its working now ...

hmmm

13. Guest

Guest Guest

really not for me

14. Guest

Guest Guest

No worky here.

15. Basara

Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

All I'm getting is a little bit of broken code, and the background tiling.... Didn't even get that much when I first posted.

16. hummm ... musta caught a cache ... just background,little text ... now too ... [​IMG]

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Guest

Yeah, it's been hosed most of the day. With that partial HTML file or whatever it is on the front page now ... have to wonder what happened.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

We know and are looking into it =)

*took screenshots to prove I wasn't going insane with what I was seeing*

19. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

<blockquote><hr>

Everyone told Stratics to Stop playing around with Blackrock! But Nooooooooo, they woulden't listen, Now look what happened............. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

It's a good thing i have the boards bookmarked.

20. Gallahan

Gallahan Guest

Yeah, last night we had a disk failure -- the UO site some how managed to get messed up during the rebuild. We're fixing it now :p

21. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

It's a good thing i have the boards bookmarked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I had to google my way over here... [​IMG]

22. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

We're fixing it now :p

[/ QUOTE ]

Good news! [​IMG]

23. There is a link on the stratics main page.

OZ

24. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I guess that answers my question!.... glad I have a spot saved to come directly here!

25. Basara

I just went back in my browser history to my last post, then bookmarked the forum list page. I used to have it bookmarked on my older computer, but somehow half my bookmarks didn't complete the old-to-new computer file transfer.

26. Guest

Guest Guest

For some reason I assumed everyone had the forums they view most bookmarked. Never occurred to me that people go to the mainpage first, at least, not the regulars! lol

27. Basara

Almost 11,000 posts, and you never noticed that every time there was an issue with reaching the main UO Stratics board, traffic here dropped to 10% of normal????

I typically check the main board for big news, then take the drop menu to Lake Austin, then go to the Main Index, and see which of the 15 or so forums I read have new posts (since I check them several times a day, I don't want to follow a bookmark blindly to find there's no new posts). Once I'm done with a forum, I either go "back" to the main index that (quicker) way, if I don't post, or use the link to the main index if I've posted or replied to something (to see if any of the boards have gotten new messages in that time - some of my technical posts for the forums I moderate or contribute info to can take several hours).

28. jelake

jelake Guest

I don't. In fact I had to google something I knew would display some board entries to get here.

I have the boards bookmarked now though. [​IMG]

29. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

Almost 11,000 posts, and you never noticed that every time there was an issue with reaching the main UO Stratics board, traffic here dropped to 10% of normal????

I typically check the main board for big news, then take the drop menu to Lake Austin, then go to the Main Index, and see which of the 15 or so forums I read have new posts (since I check them several times a day, I don't want to follow a bookmark blindly to find there's no new posts). Once I'm done with a forum, I either go "back" to the main index that (quicker) way, if I don't post, or use the link to the main index if I've posted or replied to something (to see if any of the boards have gotten new messages in that time - some of my technical posts for the forums I moderate or contribute info to can take several hours).

[/ QUOTE ]I use Firefox, and have a folder on my bookmark bar with my most-viewed forums in.
    One middle-click later, and I have 9 tabs of forum-y goodness.

Lulls happen, few things are ever constant.
    Various factors affect forum activity. Sometimes, a number of factors will coincide to form a notable peak or trough. So, the drop in activity is not necessarily indicative, especially if you browse outside of peak hours at all. There are times, outside of peak hours, when Uhall can go without a post for 30 minutes.

30. Lord Djinn

Lord Djinn Visitor
    Stratics Veteran

Crash and Burn

31. Guest

Guest Guest

I have the main page marked as well as forums. I use that sometimes when checking info (as well as other places).

32. Basara

Yeah, but when ALL of the UO forums go 1-2 hours with about 10-20 posts, during a weekday in the north American daytime, it's kinda obvious something's up...

33. Guest

Guest Guest

I really wasn't paying attention :/
    Even if I was I probably would have just figured it was a slow day or people were all busy at work today or something.

34. glad to know it isn't just my computer. Silly me i didn't have the fourms marked good thing my daughter does. I was going through withdrawl

35. Guest

Guest Guest

*RTLFD*

There is one community resource that exclusively has the most links to UO Stratics, including all the UOS forums... even right to UO U.Hall. [​IMG] With nearly every relevant link already bookmarked for the UO community. It's free. It's safe. It's proven.

This is a great time to try it. And get the most out of UO Stratics... quickly.

*cough-cough* [​IMG]

36. Guest

Guest Guest

And just how do I know it's safe????? With all the people I know getting hit by hackers and bugs, and trojans.... How do I really know anything is safe??

As for the stratics forums..... I often get here from the main page...... why? Cause there if all I want to know is..... Did a Dev team member make any posts today??? if so what were the posts ..... Quick check and I'm gone.... Or sometimes I want to just read headlines...... see what other shards are talking about...... It's all pretty easy there. Ah well...... I see it's still down...... anyword as to whats up??

37. Basara

Well, the initial issue (a Hard drive failure) happened about 25 hours ago, and that's been taken care of.

Now, I believe the continuing issue is a corrupted backup of the site, but I've not heard of the state of the salvage work on that since Gallahan's last post. I can confirm though, it's not a browser issue, but hitting everyone from Firefox to IE to Opera users.

38. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Willa,
    <blockquote><hr>

And just how do I know it's safe????? With all the people I know getting hit by hackers and bugs, and trojans.... How do I really know anything is safe??

[/ QUOTE ]That's a great question. How do you know a GameXbar (like the UO Toolbar) or anything else for that matter is safe?

Like other web sites you visit (even big company &amp; government sites get hacked and malware placed on them), applications (browsers), operating systems (Windows), utilities, and even game clients... all have the potential for abuse. In all honesty, you don't know.

So as a user browsing the net, banking, purchasing, gaming, email and instant messenging... how does anyone accomplish those things on an Internet filled with perils? Simply... trust. Trust... that the publishers of the software that you use offer products that are as functional &amp; secure as possible, updated regularly, and offer solutions to enhance your protection. Reliability becomes reputation, and as a consumer your trust is based on that reputation.

Of course PC security involves using up to date security tools to keep your PC safe, but not just an anti virus, or a firewall, or an anti spyware... it takes all of those, and more. Such as RAM scanners, anti phishing, and more.

Here is one tool for you to try (if you don't already have it), it's called the McAfee SiteAdvisor. SiteAdvisor is a free tool from McAfee that scans web sites for malware, spam, etc... then when you go to a site or use a search engine, SiteAdvisor using red/yellow/green indicators will let you know if that site is considered safe or not (and will even give you a report of any bad they found, like files &amp; scripts). A security tool like SiteAdvisor gives you an extra layer of protection and informs you of what they have found out about a site.

Also look around (Google it) and ask those in the community that already use the product. In the case of UO Toolbar, it has been out for 2.5 years now... with nearly 1100 users. Not one security issue.

3 users had a problem with the Internet radio not playing (2 of those needed a Microsoft add-on for Firefox to play Windows Media Player, and the other had a bad Windows Media Player install &amp; had to use Windows Update to fix it). And 2 other users had a problem with RSS news feeds using an older version of Internet Explorer.

GameXbars like UO Toolbar are kept updated, checked and scanned for any issues... that is part of building a brand. By all means, ask around. [​IMG]

<blockquote><hr>

As for the stratics forums..... I often get here from the main page...... why? Cause there if all I want to know is..... Did a Dev team member make any posts today??? if so what were the posts ..... Quick check and I'm gone.... Or sometimes I want to just read headlines...... see what other shards are talking about...... It's all pretty easy there. Ah well...... I see it's still down...... anyword as to whats up??

[/ QUOTE ]Hopefully UOS' main is back up soon... I'm going through withdrawals too. I'm sure the network team has the rubber mallets out pounding the hamsters into submission! [​IMG]

39. Guest

Guest Guest

Well I was told not to bring up the fact we were experimenting with a blackrock power supply for the server, or the fact we were mixing blackrock powder into the food the hamsters were using to make the sites run faster.....

...errrmmmm....

The cake is a lie?

40. Guest

Guest Guest

<blockquote><hr>

the fact we were mixing blackrock powder into the food the hamsters were using to make the sites run faster...

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm, blackrock enhanced hamsters... the new "biofuel". [​IMG]

41. ROFL... and this is why I will not use black rock!

That stuff is just too messed up!

42. Guest

Guest Guest

Blackrock is the new green....we were going ?green? for earth day...that's it!!!

43. Stuck with that :
    <blockquote><hr>

/shared/uomenubackleft.jpg"&gt; /parch.jpg"&gt;
    Marks hot news Marks 3 to 5 days old news Marks older news
    UO General Announcements &amp; Official News UO Community &amp; Fansite News

Quest &amp; Event News Stratics Network Exclusives

Atlantic Baja

Catskills Chesapeake

Drachenfels Europa

Great Lakes Lake Austin

Lake Superior Legends

Napa Valley Oceania

Origin Pacific

Siege Perilous Sonoma

[/ QUOTE ]
    I finally decided to look another way to reach forums. I had to go to www.stratics.com and search the link for UO forums.

uo.stratics.com page has been pwnzorized hard :/

44. jelake

jelake Guest

Some of the pages are working it appears. Like the skills pages.

Alchemy

45. ZippyTwitch

ZippyTwitch Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

This is why I have the forums bookmarked separately from the main site.

46. Guest

Guest Guest

47. Guest

Guest Guest

WAY TO GO LARISSA! you fix-ed it!

It just needed new LUV on the front page.

Musta had something to do with your post bein' dealt bottom of the deck style.

Or maybe you holding that open post page for immediate delivery of the information when it came, acted as a rift in the etheral void and time continueum caused the hamsters, under the influence of blackrock, to armageddon their wheel off its axle, which in turn sent the data through the rift to appear hours earlier than it was actually posted.

You sly dawg you.

[​IMG]

*edited because I came up with an even better more elaborate smart*** comment. [​IMG] *