1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone get an e-mail about being selected as a Counselor/Advisor?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by The Predator, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Predator

The Predator Journeyman

Just curious. :D

2. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

They won't be allowed to tell.
    At least in the past, you was not allowed to tell and tell who your counselor char was

3. The Predator

The Predator Journeyman

Ahh. Good to know. :)

4. Speranza

Speranza Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Well I haven't signed any NDA so I can say that I have no email response to my questions about the program :D

5. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Crazed Zealot

In general I do wonder how much power they give these guys. I assume they're just volunteers, hopefully they're not unlocking all my stuff and decorating their house with it, lol. When you call for support you kinda assume it's a person you can really trust. Not sure if I can trust these folks or what. I'm sure EA isn't running an FBI back ground check, lol.

6. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Counselors never had that kind of power, at least not at the time I was counselor. We could teleport to the player calling us or we could teleport the player to where we was. Else we could mainly give advices and send the call to a GM if GM power was needed. Most of the call did not need a gm. If we did move a player, who was stuck, we should report it. Old counselors had very little power.
    I did not even have a backpack on my char

Capt. Lucky, kRUXCg7 and Viper09 like this.
  7. Veldrane

Veldrane Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Pretty much the old Counselors were basically the hall monitors of UO. We didn't have the authority to jail players or the powers to create items, move items, solve player disagreements, ban players, etc. We were the front line help desk for players and acted as sort of a buffer between questions / issues that really needed GM intervention and weeding out questions that didn't. If we did see issues that needed immediate GM intervention we typically had the fast track on GM communications.

Senior Counselors had a little more power and were mainly there to watch the regular Counselors to make sure they weren't abusing their power.

The return of the Counselor program is a good thing for UO.

#7 Veldrane, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  8. Dol'Gorath

Dol'Gorath Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

As others have said, Counselor's don't have very much power to do anything other than teleport players and answer questions...and telestorm/jail unruly players assuming they will still have that power. :p

Would be nice to have a Counselor or two assist at EM events and teleport troublemakers away from the event.

But you should not fear a blue robe robbing your house. If an EM can't do it, certainly a Counselor can't. Since they have less powers than an EM does.

Capt. Lucky likes this.
  9. Dol'Gorath

Dol'Gorath Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Now that you mention the seniors I wonder if they will be back as well. From what I understand in this new version there has been no mention of Senior or Shard Leads coming back. Though in this day and age they probably really aren't needed much.

10. Veldrane

Veldrane Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

While we did have those powers, I remember them being extremely frowned upon using without permission from the senior counselor and generally they'd just show up and handle it themselves if it came to it. Perhaps different seniors handled it differently, it's been a long time and can't remember if that was just our senior's rule or the overall guideline.

I agree, but this is also one of the things that can get out of hand easily. There are those obvious troublemakers that need to be dealt with (can't the EM teleport them?) but the potential for a Counselor to get a little over zealous is certainly there as well. Hopefully, if this power is available it has to be at the request of the EM running the event and not the Counselor's own discretion.

11. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

On the assumption that Freja is right about them not being allowed to tell (and I think she probably is) I'm going to lock this to avoid any unauthorised revelations.

CovenantX and FrejaSP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.