1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

(Question) Anyone know of any Tactics guides for Mage PvPers I can study?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Tanivar, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I want to at least turn a couple pixels of my intended victims health bar red before I'm splattered all over the landscape. <g>

2. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

3. Rumpy

Rumpy Slightly Crazed

When I have free time to play again, I will gladly give you some pointers. Im al for teachin people how to fight, makes things more fun.

GarthGrey likes this.
  4. Uvtha

Uvtha Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Cast all the spells!!!

5. Lyconis

Lyconis Sage
    Stratics Veteran

I've been playing the old school style mages for years and love them, now they are called "a focused mage." On that note, this is my general play style.

For me macros are the biggest thing with a mage in PVM and PVP. The must have macros for me would be (This is in 2d with UO Assist):

Targeting -
    Last target
    Last target (UO Assist, with range check last target enabled, Queue self/last target)
    Target self (UO Assist, I guess there is a new target self option but I stuck with UO Assist for the target queue. You do lose out in area's like T2A where sometimes you can't target yourself because "the target cannot be seen"...)
    Mount pet and dismount pet (UO Assist, need to record a macro)
    Clear target queue (UO Assist)

Attacks -
    Curse
    Explosion
    Energy Bolt
    Flame Strike
    Harm
    Magic Arrow
    Paralyze
    Poison

Buffs/self preservation -
    Bless
    Heal
    Greater Heal
    Cure
    Greater Cure
    Chug Cure (UO Assist)
    Chug Heal (UO Assist)
    Munch enchanted apple (UO Assist)

Defensive/Fields -
    Teleport
    Energy Field
    Paralyze Field
    Poison Field
    Wall of stone (can't teleport through these!)

Combo's -
    I don't do many of the "spell combo's" in one macro as they just seem ineffective when you need that split second switch up. Two of the common spells with time delays are Mind Blast and Explosion.

The idea of a combo is to dump as much damage in a single instance. Most common "combo" is doing something like:
    1. Explosion
    2. Last Target
    3. Flamestrike
    4. Last Target

Mixing a debuff, like curse or enemy of one (mystic) or etc., are also good to get the most damage out. Sometimes you don't have the time to cast Flamestrike so you can toss in an Energy Bolt instead :
    1. Curse
    2. Last Target
    3. Explosion/Mind Blast
    4. Last Target
    5. Flamestrike/Energy Bolt
    6. Last Target

Practice -
    When I try to dust a little rust off the magery I usually try to start off with smaller monsters and work my way up.
    1. Lizard men and harpies are good to get into the swing of things. Generally a lot of spawn good field practice and little chance of death.
    2. Orc's can be a good mixture with a few mages and some basher types. I don't care for the "newer" types of orc bombers and scouts but they can add a little bit of a play style.
    3. After you have mastered the orc mages try out some liches. That throws a little bit of a need to heal and move around some. Play with them until you can stand your ground (not run) cast heals on yourself.
    4. Demons next, they have more health. Playing with them until you can stand toe to toe is also good.
    5. When I'm feeling like I have everything down is when I can stand toe to toe with succubi.

6. Nozomi Tsuji

Nozomi Tsuji Adventurer

A bit like this? I know... Prodo, but the principle is the same I think.

7. Bo Bo

Bo Bo Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

couple of keys
    template- you gotta maximized your potential, bo sees it all the time, bad templates gotta have passive defense
    macros- make sure you group them together, put fields with fields, buffs with buffs, damage spells in order youre gonna use them. sounds easy too bad most people fail here the most. try to use some common sense when making macros, than memorize them.
    gear- wear crap gear at first and dont be afraid to die. you are gonna die, practice a lot against every template that will train with you. Do mid level spawns

come to the realization, that in pvp a straight mage is more of a support character. most people will not stay on the screen long enough for you to kill them. You need to be running with others.

kelmo likes this.
  8. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot

I tried Freja a little while ago. She made one heck of a mess of her tower floor. I was mopping me up for a good twenty minutes. :)