1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Are Tank Mages still around?

Discussion in 'UO Spellcaster' started by Anderuin, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Anderuin

Anderuin Guest

Just reactivated an old account and there is a Tank Mage on it. It has....

Fencing
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Magery
    Med\Focus
    Eval

I was just wondering if anyone even uses this template for pvp anymore? This is an old red character and I dunno if I'm even going to keep it because it has about 60+ long term murder counts. I was just wondering thanks!!

2. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Drop healing and anat for resist and scribe and it'd be a viable template

It would look like this

120 Fencing
    120 Magery
    120 Eval
    120 Resist
    100 Scribe
    90 Tactics
    50 Med

But to answer your question, very few people use this. There is a mage on oceania who has healing/anat(4 second bandies mind you, so i dont know what his stats are)... its not effective. Yes it'd save you, but you cannot kill anyone.

3. Andre

Andre Guest

Is there any point in having fencing when you can just use a mage weapon? That would save you 120 points for elsewhere.

4. You need 90 Wep & Tactics to perform both special moves. So even using a Mage Weapon you'd need at least 90. But doing it that (that = how Clog said) way saves you needing a mod on the weapon and the need to cancel the penalty on the suit, giving you more room for the dexxer type mods you more than likely need, (Hit spell, HLD, HCI, DCI, DI, SSI.. etc), to make it effective.

5. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

If you decide to delete the char, at the very least soulstone the skills off so you can use them on another char or chars. Saves you from redoing all of your prior training.

-OBSIDIAN-

6. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Well, from what i have tested... you still need the 120 fencing points to perform the specials. Mage weapons are mainly for the necro/mage for their DCI

7. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

tactics

8. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Worth mentioning: Eval+Anat would be useful when you get disarmed.

9. Clog|Mordain

Clog|Mordain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

though i vaguely remember testing this on TC, and I needed a weapon skill and tactics to perform the special. though i will test it again tonight after work.

10. Hail there,

I was looking to make a template that looked a bit like this...

St 80
    Dx 80
    Iq 95

Mage 120
    Eval 120
    Resist 120
    Heal 100
    Anat 90
    Parry 100
    Med 70 (100 with jewels)

Whatcha guys think about that?

Btw, i dont know much about imbued stuff, can you imbue skills only on jewels?

11. If you are going to run a parry mage you are investing heavy stat points into dex. In fact the whole build is rather defensive..so that being said not going to 120 parry is a mistake. I also think to take full advantage of eval/anat you'd want 120/100 I think?

Personally, with that much defense already,and the possibility of potions unless your keeping your hands full, I really dont think you need the healing.

Also consider that the classic problem with defensive mages is that they arent as good at dealing damage unless theres more than one of them, so 100 points on healing that probably isn't neccessarry may not be the route to go.

I would likely drop the healing and anat, maybe go parry/wrestling and take advantage of that high dex and save that much more on the skill points.

12. Capt.E

Capt.E Guest

scribe might be better than heal.

100 anat 120 eval is goal. With 120 parry you'll get hit around 30%. It's not gonna solo kill anyone, but you'll be really hard to kill.

Have fun.

13. ReaperNI

ReaperNI Guest

Tank mages just sallowed a big nerf now you dont get lower mana cost from JOAT human 20 points in each fighting skill. but i dont see many at yew gate mostly just scared lil stealth archers running around trying to res kill people *bumps into something invisable again* lol .TYR