1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Are there people interested in conspiring to keep the Saltpeter vendor built up?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Tanivar, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Anyone interested in working out a plan to keep the Sea Market alchemist at 999 saltpeter until everyone involved has a pile of it? The banker is right next to her for a fast deposit. My schedule is fairly adaptable so I could do about any few hour shift during the day. I've a ship parked there so all anyone would need is a rowboat and access to the ships key.

It's hard to play High Seas when you can't get saltpeter in quantity. Maybe do this for a week?

2. Void425

Void425 Adventurer

There will be no friendly cooperation to get the salt peter. Usually there is multiple people there trying to get it and there is not enough produced in one day to keep everyone supplied with ammo.

Because the merchant is seemingly broken only with some resets being over 1 hour. I would say that the most he would produce is 24 hours x 999 saltpeter = 24,000 . This would yeild a Maximum of 1,000 Black Powder would would make 200 Heavy Charges and 200 Fuse Cord per day. It takes at least 14 shots and often 19 shots to sink a boat. Which mean total boats sunk in a day from the vendor saltpeter alone would be about 12 Boats. If you figure the Boats you sink give you back some more Fuse/Charges then you are looking at a maximum number at around 20 Boats per day for the entire shard that can be sunk by recyclieing the ammo.

20 Boats per day for an entire shards just by counting on npc supplying the saltpeter, sound like we need a bunch more people mining for peter to keep the shard busy.

3. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

Do what Wulf did, get minions (NEW2 members for example) to do the work for you. ;)

But tbh, I think it would be hard to come up with a setup that would have little risk of failing. However, if you do and it´s not publicly posted here, keep the setup to yourself and those involved to minimize any risk to the operation.

4. imported_Ally Oop

imported_Ally Oop Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

They need more than the one salt peter vendor at the market. Then to, only one it seems from other vendors, one would be giving any amounts.

5. Troll The T Hunter

Troll The T Hunter Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I was told you could mine for this in dungeons but after about 45 minutes I didnt come up with anything. Do I need the high seas (not sure if thats the name or not) upgrade to mine this stuff? or is it super hard to find?

6. Victim of Siege

Victim of Siege Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Safe Haven

i am not sure if you have to have the high seas, but i would assume so. i do know that it is easy to miss the nodes for saltpeter. they "spawn" close to your character and are a yellowish color that blends in really well with dungeon floors. once you spawn one you need to mine the saltpeter node. It can also be mined from a boat.

#6 Victim of Siege, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  7. Tanivar

Tanivar Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You need to be wearing luck, the more the better. You knock lose niter blocks while mining in a dungeon or along mountains next to water and have to mine the niter block. I imagine you will need High Seas to find niter, but unless your into Fishing, there isn't much point into buying it while playing Siege, it takes around 4000 saltpeter to make 100 heavy cannon shots with the 30% alchemy failure rate you have without an alchemy talisman. A very long slow process to scuttle maybe 5 ships, unless your really into playing a pirate. You'd have to decide if the fun of taking out pirate ships is worth the long Mining/Alchemy time required to supply your cannons.

8. TheDrAJ

TheDrAJ Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Alpha and Omega

I heard in general chat that the fish market was like Bucs Den - not a guard zone is this true?

9. Void425

Void425 Adventurer

You can only mine saltpeter from nitre when you are mining in a dungeon zone or mining while on a boat.
    You have a higher chance of getting Nitre to spawn when mining in a dungeon, rather then from a boat.
    Your luck determines your chance to have the Nitre show up. (Higher Luck, Higher Chance)

UO Mining nodes are still layed out in an 8x8 grid pattern.
    In order for the game to check if Nitre will spawn you have to hit an 8x8 node that has reset and never been hit yet.
    If it does not success on first hit you wont have another chance until that node resets.

To achieve your best odds of finding saltpeter (Nitre Rocks) is to wear as much luck as you can and hit each 8x8 node only once, and move to the next 8x8 square.

After making some very extensive and precise macros with the Enhanced Client and taking time to learn how the 8x8 grid is laid out I was (and currently am ) able to pull about 1250 nitre per hour with a 900 luck suit.
    The only way I think I could increase my nitre per hour (besides getting a very lucky streak) would be to have more luck. I do not think I can search the 8x8 grid or pull it from the nitre rock once found any faster then I am.

Good Luck to anyone who wishes to try Nitre Mining.

P.S. I would be interested in any more data anyone can provide as in how much saltpeter per hour they are able to mine and how much luck they had to wear to achieve that amount. Thanks Again. Discovery.

10. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I"ve paged a GM several times and reported our bugged Salt Peter vendor. It didnt do any good. Theoretically it should respawn every 15 minutes the way it does on Prodo, but we continue to be punished on Siege way more than we should be. That being said, if you don't want to fight for the vendor, you can mine for it. Remember, the entire lands of Ilshenar are considered a "dungeon". You don't have to go in Covetous to find deposits. You're welcome....

Tjalle likes this.
  11. Victim of Siege

Aye, the guards are always drunk and non-responsive out there.

12. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Mining in the Abyss also yields nitre deposits.

13. Victim of Siege

need to be careful when mining on mountainsides that are on your characters southwest side. the Niter deposits will spawn inside the mountain and you will only be able to get to them by bringing up object handles (hitting ctrl+shift at same time). best thing to do is make sure you are a few steps away from the mountainside if you are able.