1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Are we back to power hour?

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by pgcd, Sep 5, 2009.

1. pgcd

pgcd Guest

I just spent more than an hour casting lich form to train my sampire - currently at 98.3 skill - without getting a gain. Not a single .1 in more than an hour.
    I know the RNG can be bad, but this is kinda ludicrous, isn't it?

2. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Mix lich form with wither and strangle spells.

3. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

When I was working on the new skill gain guide flor blacksmithing, I was making items (royal circlets, which were perfectly positioned in the gain "sweet spot" for 100-110) in batches of 120. Typically, I averaged about 1 gain every 50 successful attempts (and a boatload of failures - was going through about 180 tool uses per 120 made).

Twice, I had periods where I went 400 successes (or about 600 actual ATTEMPTS) with no gains - then got a stretch where I got SEVEN gains in one 120-item batch, that also had an abnormally small number of failures.

I wish they'd hurry and fix the RNG.

4. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

no, the RNG is just buggy as hell. I have the same problem on my necro mage some days. I log in for my GGS and it's 25 tries before I get it. Don't know why.

5. pgcd

pgcd Guest

Well, I finally managed to get to 99% by walking around, and now I have spent the last couple hours to go from 107.7 bushido to 107.8 with lightning strike - which, as far as I know, should give gains all the way to 120. Which means I can reasonably expect to spend a couple weeks spamming lightning strike on an unsuspecting horse.
    I guess I'll just go back to painted caves =)

6. Diomedes Artega

Diomedes Artega Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Yes you can just use lightning strike or mix that in with momentum strike by going to the nearest spawn to you.

7. NocteKDL

NocteKDL Guest

Excuse me if this is a hideous question, but I'm just looking to return to UO after about 4 years or so away.

Does 8x8 still work?

8. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

No, it won't work.

9. NocteKDL

NocteKDL Guest

So now you just gain skills through normal usage?

Is there any anti-macro code now that demands you move instead of (attended) macroing in one location?

10. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

Yes normal usage and there is no anti macro code.

If you have SA expansion then there is a quest you can do to get a reward that is very helpfull for training skills.

From Ortlem the Mystic at the mage shop in the royal city.

11. Do you mind explaining what the quest does to help in skill gain? Is it repeatable? Is the reward an item?

12. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

The reward is a item, when turned on and you use a skill. It will tells you what you are doing is good enough for you to gain skill. Like cast a spell thats to hard or to easy.