1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Are you satisfied with the times between ROT gains?

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by Hoffs, Oct 19, 2008.

?

Are you satisfied with the times between ROT gains?

1. Yes, I think the current times are more or less right.

16.0%
  2. No, some or all of the times need to be reduced.

67.0%
  3. No, I want to see the times increased.

5.0%
  4. I am undecided or just don't care.

12.0%
  1. Hoffs

Hoffs Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
    Stratics Veteran Gilfane

This is the first post in a possible attempt to get the ROT timings modified. Firstly, the job is to establish whether or not people are happy with the existing ones.

Please note that this thread only concerns the ROT timings. The amount you can gain each day and the whole system itself are not under discussion.

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

The timings are fine for me.. it should take a while to reach legendary. And with 16 views and no votes I should be apt to say it is fine with everyone else.

3. Alizaren

Alizaren Guest

I dunno about views relating to votes. I'm thinking that is kind of random for something with so few of either at the moment.

However, I do have a question. Was the timing ever fixed for the 80s? Doesn't it take longer now to get through the 80s than it did before? If so, I'd be happier if they at least fixed that.

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

As a new-ish player who dealt with the new 80-90 RoT.. I can say it doesn't take very long. The smart RoTer would cap all template skills until they were at the same point, then gain them at the same time, which doesn't take long.

I will admit gaining past 100 takes a very long and boring time since usually one only has 1 or 2 skills past 100 for training.. but that is the price to pay. Believe me I want my stealing and ninja at 120.

5. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

The post has only been up for an hour or so, and there have been four votes so far. Don't go looking for a job as a statistician, stick to thievery!

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Shush you! A few people don't know my side-job. My first is, of course, keeping people out of GIL.

7. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

The 15 minute timer needs to go... and possibly raise the cap a bit.

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Hoffs I never see you enough to rob from you. Oh how I wish I would have had stealing on my template when I met you. That long conversation would have been ample time.

9. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Ah, so it's just the shuriken attacks now, huh?

10. Patty Pickaxe

Patty Pickaxe Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Oh CRAP!! Is there any way to change my vote?? I accidentally chose "increase the time" instead of "reduce". :wall:

11. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

Seeing as how I've never attacked you, your alts don't count. And with my lack of fighting skills, shurikens are all I have.

[edit] PS I still love my painting recovered from a shipwreck, thanks to (someone) from GIL that I killed and looted as his corpse rot on the edge of his house[/edit]

12. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

I have no great complaints about your attacks whether against me or not.

13. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Thanks for the votes. Please keep them coming.

14. Travixus

Travixus Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

I've only been playing on Siege for a couple weeks or so but the ROT thing is very annoying. I think they should get rid of the time between gains and just limit the amount you can gain per day. I want to log on and get my gains and then play without having to worry about stopping every 10 minutes to make sure I get a gain.

15. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Exactly my point.

16. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

31 votes so far.

17. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

No, I'm not

18. Troll The T Hunter

Troll The T Hunter Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

"I think they should get rid of the time between gains and just limit the amount you can gain per day."

ditto

19. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

The Max skills per day are fine, but the time in between gains are ridiculous for single skill training in the 90s+

I shouldn't have to log in for 4 hours+ just to max gains for a day.

I still don't see why they can't just put a 1 minute timer between gains or a max of 5.

You're still limited by the 'gain cap' per day, but at least a player who doesn't have 6 hours to work a single skill can max their skills.

20. They can do that. Unfortunately, they didn't consider single skill training in the original design nor ask for feedback until it was too late.

Basically, they don't know what the hell they are doing.

But, you probably knew that already.

21. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Yea. . . They considered multiple training only basically.

Which for the most part is ok, anat & healing, etc... But There's going to be single skills trained upwards to 120 [combat skills, etc] that will be worked solo.

It's a shame I have to devote 6 hours to getting all those gains.

22. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

54 responses. Would like to get it up toward the century mark.

23. Righty

Righty Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I had to vote for the Undecided/Don't care, although these should technically be two separate choices. Anyway, I guess they're the same choice for me since I don't work RoT anymore and personally don't care. I am concerned, however, about new players being able to train appropriately for Siege. I agree, the 15 min time has to go because that is impossibly too long to wait for .1 skill and to get max gains for a day takes forever.

I think that taking away the timer completely or reducing it to a few minutes while maintaining the daily cap would be effective. One shouldn't have to grind 6 hours or whatever it is a day to get 3.0 skill.

24. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Yes, you are correct, I should have made them separate choices really.

25. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I agree with the keep the caps ditch the timers crowd. I would also like to see power hour till 70 re-instated. the grind is rediculus. If I did not have multiple accounts to play while training one char or another it would really suck.

26. Feyre

Feyre Guest

I vote and would give reasons, but disliking the way something was designed is kinda going against the game itself.

27. Czarina

Czarina Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

I never saw a need for power hour to 70. If you gather all the resources needed for the skill or get a training suit together any skill can be took to 70 within a day around 5 hours. except taming and um stealing. There may be one more skill that takes longer but i cant think of it off the top of my head. If you have any questions on a faster way to gain skills just icq me at 129290595. Ive done most of the skills rather fastly to 70.

har! this was my 500th post yay me lol

28. I am ok with the specific points per day but i think it should be ran with the RNG upto your total for the day.

29. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Actually, stealth is pretty easy to RoT, Taming is pretty much the only one that stinks.

Power hour I don't think is needed, I got most skills to 70 in a matter of hours, it's really not that hard these days. But the time in between upper level RoT gains need to go, I agree with who ever said that it shouldn't take you 6 hours to get 3 points.

30. Tiberius

Tiberius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I dont think we really "need" power hour till 70 but imo it would be nice to have. I just miss getting my weap skill for 0-70 in one hour:).
    *goes to train archery*

31. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Over 70 votes now. Would still like to get to around 100.

32. Sweeney

Sweeney Guest

On Siege, getting to 70 is the hardest part.. after that it is all RoT based. Gains are easy to get within about 2 mins of trying after. Since this is a poll/discussion on RoT only, and not getting to RoT, I'd have to say that the gains are fine as is.
    Per my previous RoT related posts, gaining past 100 is a pain, but if a person decided to max their skills before "playing", meaning not participating in much until they are uber in skills, then I still say keep them as they are. True the old player have the skill advantage, but it is their priviledge.
    Asking for a lower gain rate is only asking for easier legendary status.

33. evilomorthan

evilomorthan Guest

Beat the system. AFK your rot overnight :)

34. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Actually I find getting TO rot the easiest part, with the exception of animal taming. . . Finding 6 hours a day to get all my gains is getting hard.

35. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

We're not asking for easier legendary status, we're asking for the timer between gains to be reduced.

There's no reason if I want to work a single skill upwards to 110-120 that I should have to spend 6 hours doing so to max my 3.0 for the day. RoT is very nice, you *KNOW* you're goign to get that gain and I don't have *ANY* problem with the current skill caps, it's quicker to GM and quicker to 120 overall, which is nice.

BUT, the time in between gains is insane once you hit 90. 12 minutes * 30 = 360 minutes = 6 HOURS to gain a full 3 points. Unacceptable. In my opinion there's zero reason to really not have any time between gains, if I want to max my gains in 30 seconds, let me. I'm still capped at 3.0/day which is fine. But if they insist on having times between gains, make it 1-5 minutes for all levels, and keep the current daily skill caps.

36. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Exactly. . . I now spend all my time waiting for my timer to go off, instead of PLAYING the game. I would rather be able to spend a little less time getting my gains and then spend some time actually doing something in the game without worrying if I'm going to miss the stupid gain.

37. Troll The T Hunter

Troll The T Hunter Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I like the daily cap, I detest the time in between gains. I would like to see them eliminate the times between gains altogether.

38. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Yeap, I've been all for that for eons [and earlier in the thread]. Doesn't seem to make much sense to not allow someone to max out the daily cap in a minute or two. Doesn't hurt anyone because you're max'd at the daily cap and then I don't have to log in every 12 minutes for 6 hours

39. For the most part, the 70-90 gains are fine with me. It's getting from 90-120 that take a conciderable amount of time. Also, since I don't have powerscrolls for all of my skills, it has boiled down to just 1 or 2 skills gaining in a day, and I don't see max gains in those due to time constraints.

40. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Getting closer toward my target of 100 votes.

41. nightstalker22

nightstalker22 Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

You don't NEED all of your gains in a day. The system was made to be Rate Over Time, not insant gratification. If you remove the timer between gains, and just cap daily gains, you make the scrolls of alacrity worthless. Those scrolls are more valuable because of the ROT system.

They intended the ROT system to gradually increase the players skill during normal gameplay, as you actually use the skill. If you are constantly using your skills, you don't even notice the 15 minute timer, because you'll gain anyway from normal use, and while possibly actually having fun playing the game.

The ROT system is annoying, but consider how much less expensive it is to gain in skills.
    If I were to raise poisioning from 70-100 skill, I could do it with only 300 potions, whereas without ROT, I would spend about 7,000.

The same with Magery and Necromancy( without LRC suit ), cartography, inscription, etc...

The resources used are MUCH MUCH less with ROT...

Instant gratification is all this thread is about.

Maybe in 3 months you'll be able to compete with me!!

42. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

Just a shameless *bump* this time.

43. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

44. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Alacrity scrolls really aren't affected by this change as alacrity is used on a login/get gain, logout. If the timer was 1 minute you'd still be logging in/out to get your gain to not lose the 15 minutes.

And as a reminder, I'm **NOT** in favor of removing the daily skill cap; and I disagree, RoT was DESIGNED for Max gains in a day, but the DEVs were and still are under the impresison you would be working multiple skills all the time. You may be happy with only gaining 1.0 in your skill per day, but I'm not, I prefer to get my full 3.0 points; but I don't have the 6 hours to day to do so and 'not notice' that 12 or 15 minutes after the 80's to work a single skill. I'm glad if you do, but I just don't have that much free time.

And what? Your last paragraph has zero relevance to my proposal. You'd still get your RoT gains and create the same amount of potions, with the exception that instead of requiring roughly 38 hours(!) over 7 days to GM your poisoning, it would take roughly 25, and any skill that goes over that would affect the difference even further. [if you made all gains on a 5 minute timer, Only 5 hours over those 7 days if you made it 1 minute timer].

So in the end, it's take the same amount of DAYS to get to GM [no immediate gratification here], but the amount spending working the skill EACH DAY is reduced.

Edit: And to further elaborate, RoT was **NOT** designed to gradually increase your skill through gameplay, that's GGS. RoT was basically designed to slow down the 7xGM in a day that was happening on Prodo shards. It was designed so that you had a *MAX* amount of skill gains for a day so would take 3 months or so to 7xGM a char.

45. Hoffs

Stratics Veteran Gilfane

*final bump*

Just need four votes to reach one hundred.

46. Avo

Avo Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I voted on keeping it the same. Its how i had to gain my skills on siege and its how others who want to play here should also!

47. Hera - Siege

Hera - Siege Lore Master

Although it's not, it's been changed since you gained your skills, unless you've made your char in the past couple months.

48. IanJames

IanJames Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Ok, I'll do it this time, *bump*

3 more votes, c'mon, if you haven't voted yet, please voice your opinion no matter what the opinion is.