1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Arghhhh ! I want to go back to my usual Stratics !! How do I do it ?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by popps, Feb 21, 2010.

1. popps

popps Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Well, now my Stratics' UHAll page loads up with a darkish background (almost all black) and the Stratics' logo on top sticks out in reddish with some yellow in the middle.

Well, I just hate it.

It punches into my eyes and distracts me from focusing on whatever I want to read as a topic in threads.

I just simply and WHOLEHEARTEDLY hate it.

I want to revert to what it was, relaxing, pleasant and easeing background coloring.

How can I revert it to what it was ?

Thanks.

2. RawHeadRex

RawHeadRex Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran

you miss the sandstone Trinsic look ? adapt ! lol jk

3. popps

popps Always Present

I am sorry, but this is a change I cannot adapt to.

I just HATE the the new background. It really hurts my viewing of the Forums.

Besides, I do not see why something which was just VERY FINE ever needed to get changed.

We'd had the Sun shining the same for millions of years, is there a need to change its color and make it black just for a change ??

I would hope it was possible to customize the viewing of the Stratics' background to one's own liking.

My liking is the nice, easing view, Trinsic sandstone look.

How can I revert everything back to what it was ?

P.S. So far, of the forum's I browsed only UHall and Trader's Hall have the new (for me) horrible and hurting look.

The others still have the older look which I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay much more prefer.

I guess I will be browsing the other Forums instead until I am instructed on a way to customize UHall and whatever other Forum took the new look to what it was.

Thanks.

4. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

Heh... figured these would start up before long.

5. falseprophet

falseprophet Lore Master

scroll down to the bottom left corner and select "default" from the menu

6. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

go to user control panel and go to edit options and scroll to bottom and there is a spot where you can change the way its viewed!

7. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

oops forgot you could just go to bottom of page!

8. popps

popps Always Present

Well, since not everyone is the same or likes necessarily the same look, I would just find it normal, obvious, which goes without saying, that any user could be able to customize the look to one's own liking to make reading and using the Forums just better.

Personally, the old look was just perfect for me and I just and simpy want to be instructed on HOW I can set my Stratics' Forums look to what it was like.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Just and merely be told which button I need to push to set MY Stratics' Forums look, NOT someone elses, to the old Trinsic sandstone look it was.

Others can pick whatever look they prefer, personally, I just cannot stand the new look. It really hurts my viewing of the Forums and bothers my focusing on the reading.

That's it.

9. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

I was on the just plain "UO" style, which only had the changed header.
    I read this thread, and tried the "Wide Screen" one, and now I'm not going back.

The option should exist for both, but I for one welcome out new darker forum skin.

10. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

Yea, Top Right scroll menu on the page switch to "Default Style"

also on the bottom of the page apparently.

11. Thav12

Thav12 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

MUHAHAHAHHAHAA, no wait MUAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHHA

the enhanced client version of stratics, instantly hated by the stratics core. Not because it is bad, or affecting their lives in any significant sort of way, no, just because it is ..... new and different....

Proof that some people have just unbelievable small worlds and can not adjust to anything new in their lives. Somewhere to be found on the autistiform spectrum I am sure. What a bunch of bull.

Please learn to adjust to something new. and here it is again, shameless plug for the EC: PLAY THE EC, leave that old junk behind, embrace the new! Even if you don't like it, it allows you to be happy when it is changed again in the future. (glass half full kind of approach)

Some people just keep coming to these boards simply to unload a whole bunch of negativity. My only hope is that it frees up their souls and makes them kinder and more understanding in real life.

12. Thav12

Thav12 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Have not checked this function, but this makes it even funnier.....

Just like the EC, the new stratics is instantly gimped and brought back to a stupendously old level because it needs to stay compatible with 1995 code.. Muhahahahahahahahhahahahah. Best laugh i have had in 12 years following these boards!!!

13. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Sage

Thankies!
    I didnĀ“t know till now that I could change the style..lol

14. popps

popps Always Present

I assume you refer to "Forum skin" ?

Which should I select for the Trinsic sandstone look we had ?

I have as options for UO :

Use Forum Default
    Default Style
    -- UO Wide Screen
    -- UO Wide Classic

Then there is more like Age of Conan, CoX and others.

Which do I want to pick for the look I want to customize ?

15. falseprophet

falseprophet Lore Master

default style is the old look(Sandstone) uowidescreen is the new look uowidescreen classic is the same as default for widescreen. at least its how it appears to me anyway

16. Thav12

Thav12 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I think it takes less time to just try the one obvious choice : UO Wide Classic, than to post an entire letter in this thread. That is just absurd, like this whole thread is just funny as i have ever seen...

17. Schuyler Bain

Schuyler Bain Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Too true - and for those not willing to follow this most excellent advice... it is also available in the top right. I might also mention that the ability to change the style of the pages has been around for a while.

P.S. - hell I just noticed that they added a " UO classic" option.

I love the new look - great job gang!

18. Schuyler Bain

Stratics Veteran

/agree

Sometimes it becomes really hard to help those that are unwilling to help themselves.

19. popps

popps Always Present

Change not necessarily is for the better.

Besides, what might be a good change to someone might well not be to someone else.

I just find it normal, whenever possible, that any and all users of something might be allowed to customize that service to THEIR liking.

Since users attend the Stratic' Forums for their better conveniency, I just find it normal that all users might be able to customize the look of it to THEIR liking and not have to take someone else's taste........

20. popps

popps Always Present

Really ?

Perhaps a whole lot of Stratics' users might, instead, be eased by this very same thread in being able to revert back a change which they did not like or that made their browsing worse, not better.......

21. Stupid Miner

Stupid Miner Guest

While it might not be the most visually impressive, and the header's a bit bland, one thing going for the old layout is it's very easy on the eyes. Doesn't get tiring to look at for long amounts of time.

22. I love the new changes!!!!!!!!!! Its not as bright as it was before.

:heart::heart::heart:

23. Thav12

Thav12 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Arguments like that are pompous and self absorbed. I personally would have just tried it out after people before you had pointed out that that option existed.

Still, even funnier, the comment that you want to mold the world around you to fit you personally... Sorry for not quoting you exactly, but again MUHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH

24. falseprophet

falseprophet Lore Master

Yes the new look gives me that feeling of being in a dungeon. and as I play in the dark usually it is less blazing to my eyes. oh yeah before I forget *Waves at Morgaine*

25. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Personally I love it. I was thinking WOW nice! The contrast feels softer on my eyes. I think it's great! Awesome job to whomever is responsible!

26. *waves to False* Hi! Hi! :):)

Popps, just change yours back to default style. Seems there are a few of us who are quite happy with it.

27. popps

popps Always Present

Again, not really.......

Usually in my posts about the game all I ask is for allowing to any and all players -regardless their playing style (which means for or against consensual PvP) the same one ability to hunt for their own in game items.

Instead, some others think it as right that to cater a single, limited, number of players (PvPers), other players should NOT be given this possibility. They MUST go into a game style they do not want (PvP) OR, forget about the ability to hunt those particular items.

That's QUITE different. This is NOT choice, IMHO, this is forced choice since there simply is no other hunting alternative available.

But this is a digression to this thread's topic which I do not want to get dragged into so, please, let us leave it for another day and thread.

Thank you.

28. popps

popps Always Present

As long as everyone can be happy with the look they prefer, I am all happy.

I reverted back to the old look and am happy again as well..........

Ain't it wonderfull when everyone can be happy with what they like it the most ?

29. falseprophet

falseprophet Lore Master

because if we all agreed and had the same tastes, there would be no exciting arguments and flamefests on stratics:popcorn:

30. Pawain

Pawain Crazed Zealot

Popps, you can try each skin from the list, it takes about 2 min to see them all. Seems the dark ones are popular. I like the UO lighter reading area.

31. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

At most 2 minutes, lol.

But I kind of like the change.

32. popps

popps Always Present

I do not even need to look at them.

Trinsic sandstone "old" look does the trick for me and I see no reason to change to anything else.

33. siyeng0

siyeng0 Guest

Oh, Popps. You never fail to make me want to kill myself.

34. Thav12

Thav12 Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Don't get me wrong Popps, i am happy you are happy. And I like the positive tenure of this post.

Nevertheless, you would agree that the fear of change is something fairly prominent in the UO Stratics community, won't you? My discontent is mostly with the fact that progress is disallowed by a minority hanging on to the old. Arguments such as used in this thread, mainly aiming at the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', are somewhat of a limited scope. What was not "broke" a few years ago, may be relatively "broken" now; relative to other games, forums, media, or anything. To immediately complain about something new, because it is new, is hampering progress. My argument here, and in many other threads, is that hampering progress actually kills the future of this game. There are several arguments that go with that, but I won't completely hijack your thread for that purpose. To you it may appear as a simple statement: wanting to go back to the old, and everyone happy because there are multiple options available. The application of that attitude to many other topics here in stratics, the most important the maintenance of 2 clients with disparate technologies, is not as benign. It in fact hinders progress, and the future of UO in my opinion.

35. popps

popps Always Present

Well, I did say "if" it is possible to suit all users.....

In the case of Stratics' forums, why should it not be possible to allow users to customize the look to their liking ?

And, actually, the ability to cater to a wider variety of users' tastes should be a plus to a service, not a minus......

36. Tukaram

Tukaram Guest

I was playing with the other views and the Conan widescreen looks great! It has the new UO banner on top and background still but the threads are almost as dark as the background. Very nice.

~Edit~
    Crap I shouldn't have said anything. When I posted the background changed to red., instead of the cool new dark. Oh wel back to UO wide. (what is it going to look like when you finish it?) :gee:

37. Ezekiel Zane

Ezekiel Zane Grand Inquisitor

Ignore is your friend. Of course, everyone needs to stop quoting him too.

38. altarego

altarego Guest

Most of the other forums get reversed text/backgrounds. It's so much easier on the eyes when you aren't staring at a 90% backlight from an LCD.

Any chance of making that an option for UO?

39. Schuyler Bain

Stratics Veteran

I don't think it is a question of IF there should be the ability to choose. In fact it IS and HAS been an option for some time now. I think the issue is that instead of looking for the options first a thread was started over dramatically crying foul. At least this is my take on it.

40. Flora Green

Flora Green Guest

Eh, popps complains a lot, but years of posting here and I had no idea you could change the backgrounds. Now I can at least see the post times when skimming. So thanks, popps.

41. popps

popps Always Present

Sure, can understand that BUT, like me, there "could be" other Stratics' users unaware of that feature and this thread or others where the feature got mentioned, might be of help to these Stratics' users who would then be informed about it without having to post about their need.....

It might help others so, it is good, IMHO.

42. DarkVoid

DarkVoid Guest

You all should be ashamed of yourselves! I changed the look of the page back to the way it used to be previously, and it took me all of two (yes two) seconds to change it.

However, I would prefer it if Stratics Admins would announce upcoming skin changes at least 24 hours prior to the change, instead of silently letting it loose on the unsuspecting and apparently not very tech-savvy forum users here.

Folks, there's no need to get personal, if you had bothered to open your eyes you would have figured out how to change it in two seconds. Now, if they had changed it to a black on even blacker background which hid the option to change it, then perhaps there would've been cause for complaint, but the means of changing it back was there for all to see, the only problem was that nobody could be bothered to look for it!

43. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

FYI The ability to change the forum skin for personal preference has been there for as long as long as we've been on vb boards, further, it was there when we were on ubb boards. The option is clearly visible at both the top and the bottom of the board.

44. Wenchkin

Wenchkin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Popps, this is an old feature (in fact many forums have themes) and it is documented in the forum instructions. Look at the FAQ for the forums - scroll down to the links at the bottom of the FAQ and you'll see there's a Board FAQ. Three links below it... Click the one for Reading and Posting Messages. First link from that page and you'll see this at the end of that little section:

Next time, take a deep breath and don't presume that the world is out to annoy and persecute you at every turn. Petra and the rest of the UO team have taken time and made the effort to update this site, including a new theme to enhance your browsing instead. I say great work and thank you. Even if I didn't like the theme I'd still appreciate the effort. I was looking for a theme change this week and one arrived by magic, so a big thumbs up here :)

Wenchy

45. Scooby_Snacks

Scooby_Snacks Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I couldn't agree more. Why not just try clicking on them to see which one you like rather than posting a thread to get people to tell you how to do it? By the time you got an answer that rage you are choking on would have disappeared and you would be all chilled out happily staring at your sandstone forum. hehe I have changed mine to the Eve Online widescreen. I much prefer the darker look with brighter text. Stands out more and makes for a better viewing experience for me ;)

46. You know, if ya'll would have just kept silent Ms Lohan might have gotten so fed up with the new look he might have just left forever and never returned.

Shame on you. :lick:

47. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

dark stone looks pretty good in Firefox. Default allows the new banner with the classic (tan) page color. <shrug>

48. Schuyler Bain

Stratics Veteran

What would have been more helpful would have been to take a few minutes to see if you could change, revert, override or disable the new skin. Hopefully you would have found the feature and then if you were inclined to be helpful a thread politely stating "For those who did not know... if you do not care for the new skin you can change it by..." If after trying to help yourself you did not find the feature you might have exercised a little more tact with a post like "Is there away to change the default UO skin/theme? I do not care for the new one as it (insert reason/s here)."

I always try to give my fellow members the benefit of the doubt especially knowing we all come from different places with different backgrounds, language barriers and so on. What I have noticed with your posts in particular is not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it. At this point, no matter what you post, I feel like you just enjoy creating drama. I could be completely wrong, but reviewing your post history this is what I see. This does not mean you are not entitled to do so, but you can't get upset, annoyed or defensive when others (not all) react to your posts negatively.

My humble opinion on the matter.

49. Spree

Spree Babbling Loonie
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/27LzPvvpqHY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/27LzPvvpqHY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]