1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

ask the devs

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Storm, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I am really liking the ask the devs ! there are about 10 there now that have been answered !
    great Idea Petra!!

and big thanks to the devs for taking the time to answer!!:pancakes:

2. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

heh, wasn't my idea, I just did what I was asked for.

3. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

well thanks to whoever had the idea and thanks for implementing it...

4. AirmidCecht

AirmidCecht twitch.tv/airmid

Definitely a great introduction to this new format. Thank you Mythic team and Petra for getting this together. It was nice to see Mark replying and see some comments form Pheonix too.

Cheers! *clink*

5. How do we submit questions to the Ask the Devs forum? I think I missed this post somewhere and can't find the info anywhere.

6. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator

just post a new thread in ask the devs!
    1. This forum is intended for players to pose questions they would like to see answered by a member of Mythic's UO team. Although the title is 'Ask the Devs' the term 'Dev' is given a loose interpretation, covering questions that may require the input of designers, artists, engineers or developers.

2. Only questions to which Mythic have given answers will appear for viewing.

3. Questions that are judged to be answerable by a knowledgable player may be diverted to UO Players Corner, on the clear understanding that if the answer is not found there the question may be re-submitted.

4. The Mythic UO team will be answering the questions, (the ones they can) throughout the week.

5. This is not a discussion forum, questions may be additionally posted in the main UHall forum for the purpose of discussing them.

this was from the faq in the "ask the devs forum"

7. Thank you! Thats the one place I didn't look *hangs head and walks away* lol

8. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I'm actually disappointed in the questions they've chosen to answer so far.

Is this really the place to, for example, remind people that yes there are rewards for doing the Tormented Minotaur champ spawn? Isn't that something a player could easily look up for him- or herself?

We'll see how things go. The news isn't all bad. For example, while we have had Magincia mentioned as the next event in a Five on Friday, their mentioning it again drives home that events will continue after the firings, which is very good to know.

-Galen's player

9. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

This one's good too:

http://boards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=169087

Oh, and this one:

http://boards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=169305

Heh.....My negative reaction was premature.

-Galen's player

10. Shamus Turlough

Shamus Turlough Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Galen, I understand your concern. One thing we are doing is, any question that can be answered by a player will be moved to the player's corner forum to be answered there. We cannot control which questions the developers choose to answer, however, you guys can kinda control it by only posting questions you really want serious answers for. I hope that answered at least some of your concern.

11. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Thanks for the reply.

My next post stated that I'd over-reacted anyway. There were some good questions that were not answered elsewhere in there, I just so happened to click on the fluff first.

I don't even mind fluff so long as substance is in there too somewhere, and in this case it was. I just wasn't what I clicked on first, and I reacted prematurely.

-Galen's player

12. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

Aww, mocking my minotaur question hurt my feeling... =p

I found the answer to that question elsewhere after posting, but since we can't see threads there, we can't delete our own.

I'd had a few other threads with varying degrees of importance, but like you, I wasn't sure if it would be a 'fluff forum' or not. Thought I'd ask questions from all along the spectrum and see what got answered.

13. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

I'm sure glad they answered the question regarding riding gorillas. And they even wrote a full paragraph explaining their reasoning.

If you missed my hint of sarcasm there, let there be no doubt I was being

SARCASTIC!

What a friggin' waste. I saw that question posted right before the questions were all hidden and I just KNEW it would be answered. At least they didn't disappoint me in that regard.

14. Merion

Merion Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

As cool as the new board is and as good as the questions and answers may be... Just continuing the FoF would have been way better! Because, believe it or not, there are a lot of people who do not read the uo.stratics forums but go to the official site for information.

15. Konge

Konge Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Someone needs to take a chill pill. I don't think that particular person realized that the person who posts the question, generally seems to be missing a couple marbles if you catch my drift. Besides, they answered a stupid question, whoo whoo, they've been answering stupid questions 98% of the time anyway.

16. hen

hen Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

lololololol

17. Magdalene

Magdalene Stratics Legend

Actually the post addresses an issue behind the gorilla i.e. that not all creatures can easily be made ridable and explains why.

18. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Galen, from trying to answer questions in Player's Corner, I have found that there is a substantial number of people who WON'T believe someone other than a dev on such matters, or insist that "So-and-so page says otherwise" when said other page hasn't been updated since T2A or LBR, and the subject they are asking about was totally revamped in AoS, SE, ML or SA.

As a result, there are times when having a dev answer a question that is relatively obvious for a few, is good for the game as a whole.

After all, it took Wilki to finally confirm, after 8 years, in a reply on UO Craftsman, that the originally announced "Tailor BODs are like Smith BODs(i.e. half normal, half exceptional)" did not make it out of testing, and had been 2/3 normal, 1/3 exceptional since the BODs started - solving a long-standing controversy over BOD drops.

In revising the Stratics FAQs, profession essays and other material, over the last 2 years, we've found a lot of things that were either outdated, based on Beta/TC material that got changed before release (but never confirmed as changed for years), or were changed by later events - and not all of it was obvious without a Dev to go in and check the back end of the code.

Oh, and to my fellow Mod that asked the Merkatus question - Merkatus is a SHE (see the ML promotional materials). She gets very upset when someone calls her a guy....

19. speaking of gorillas, i'm disappointed that we haven't had a king kong type boss yet. make them tameable, and you got a fun new pet.

20. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

So true! Oh, and I am like that too.

That cow!

21. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I'm excited to see ansvars on the forum, none of mine is ansvared yet, but that's ok, I'm sure they have a very large stack of questions.

Would it be possible to let the poster of a question see their own question while waiting for an ansvar, my memory sucks and I do not want to post same question two times if I forget what I posted.

22. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

You only have one?

Damn.

Actually, that'd be kinda nice!!!!!

-Galen's player

23. GalenKnighthawke

Stratics Veteran

Yeah, true.

Eating is one good example. Some players, myself included!, still believe eating will improve performance, largely on the basis of an out-of-date statement in the Playguide that was left on UO.com for many years after it was no longer true.

To this day I keep Galen full, though my alt rarely eats and has not obviously suffered for it.

-Galen's player

24. Fink

Fink Guest

No response to my questions about the Enhanced Client, neither of which could be answered by another player (or a dev, so it seems).:thumbdown:

Sure glad we cleared up that gorilla issue, though.

25. Splup

Splup Guest

QFT. I could not have lived without devs answering that!

26. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox

I would imagine that they answered the ones they could do 'off the top of their heads' and took away some others that needed a bit of research to answer.

I know it seems we're waiting a while for answers, but part of that is my fault for setting the thing up faster than expected, ie before the holiday.

I also *cough* caused a 24 hour delay by giving them the wrong password for the private board :blushing:.

So, you see, if you're not getting answers as fast as you'd like, you'll have to blame me.

27. Ahuaeyjnkxs

Ahuaeyjnkxs stranger diamond

...honeyish...☺

Should I submit my questions ?

:shots:

28. Fink

Fink Guest

I don't think anyone's laying blame, just a few disappointments. And there's certainly nothing to blame you for, Petra, you rock. :party:

29. Ahuaeyjnkxs

Ahuaeyjnkxs stranger diamond

30. Ken of Napa

Stratics Veteran

QFT!:party::thumbup:

31. quig

quig Guest

Woot! Glad my question was answered , it has bothered me as long as ive played UO. At least now I have an idea whats going on! Thanks for the answer and thank-you for the new forum.