1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest! Tonights Maintenance is complete and the Stratics Community Wiki is now live. Please see this thread for more details.
    Dismiss Notice

Bandwith is to blame, how to fix it?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by love2winalot, Jul 29, 2008.

1. love2winalot

love2winalot Guest

Hail: One on of the townhall threads, they said Bandwith is the main reason stuff does not get added to the game. Sooooooo, being a noob, how do you free up space in the current bandwith, and thus, be able to add more stuff.

One client only, instead of both 2d an Kr?
    Redeuce spawn that is outdated, ie Regs on the ground?
    Erase non paying accounts/houses/items faster?
    What would work?
  2. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Jul 16, 2003
    I think they may have meant only having a certain number of projects/problems under investigation going at one time, as a metaphor.
  3. Salty Pete

Salty Pete Guest

They should dump that POS KR client and work on the one that brought them all these paying customers in the first place.
  4. I didn't hear the quote...but not necessarily. They might have been literal.

The more states you need to keep the client informed of, the more room you need in the update packets.
  5. Violence

Violence Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

May 27, 2008
    Then do away with Trial Accounts, farm-bots, skill-bots, AFKers, bugs that allow chests in houses to hold 3574075486729872407 items, abandoned houses, duped items, allow faster decaying of items on ground, stop spawning regs on ground, adjust spawning of monsters at champions to match PARTIED players participating and remove ability to solo a champ by having it require at least 4 party members.

I could go on if they really think that's the issue, but NOBODY IS PAYING ME. INSTEAD I'M PAYING THEM. :coco:
  6. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Bandwidth can also mean "The resources needed to complete a task or project" in a business context.

There is a limit to how much they, as a team, can accomplish, in a given time period. So, they have to prioritise.
  7. love2winalot

love2winalot Guest

So, if adding coco trees is the priority, well then there you go..........:coco:
  8. A Bandwith problem in UO is just another excuse , Sorry EA admit your resouces are working on WAR , thats why UO isn't getting any work done on it for the last month and next few weeks..
  9. Gwendar-SP

Gwendar-SP Guest

Regs on the ground are not outdated. Remember that what to you is useless is useful to others. One important feature of UO is the variety of items and activities.
  10. Gildar

Gildar Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Apr 22, 2004
    The best way to fix the bandwidth problem: more open accounts so that EA can justify hiring more developers to work on UO.
  11. Sarphus

Sarphus Guest

noting your sp tag... regs on the ground would certainly be relevant on SP.

Also, the necro familiars make harvesting those regs more reasonably doable.

I remember a time in UO, when pks would pick up regs off the ground after getting a res, so they could go back into a fight.
  12. Belmarduk

Belmarduk Guest

Lol in 2008

Simple fix. Bring in moar Hamsters - Nope Ea will not do that - This game is running on energysaving-mode until it totally dies...
  13. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Jun 12, 2008
    Buy more? But they couldn't do that, EA/Mythic doesn't give a **** about UO, as long as people pay they're ok.

Or get more people on the team, more as in: over the 5 or so people we probably have now. Again, not going to happen because they don't care.
  14. Lady_Mina

Lady_Mina Guest

I agree with s!cklover.

Aspecialy with the 'stop spawning reagants on the ground'...

who the hell picks those up anyways?
  15. Mulch

Mulch Guest

They could do away with aos item properties as those take lots of bandwith.
  16. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Jun 12, 2008
    They could do away with Fel and/or Siege as those take lots of bandwidth too... You could say that about anything in UO really.
  17. DrDolittle

DrDolittle Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Oct 7, 2002
    They should bring in Chubby Checker and Fats Domino. That would make the bands wider… ;)
  18. Adam Randall

Adam Randall Guest

After releasing Windows Vista, Microsoft decidet to release a new version of MS-DOS 1.25, as they acknowledged all those paying MS-DOS 1.25 customers formed the company in the first place.

MS-DOS 1.25 RELOADED - buy now, or you´ll never get the feeling of 1982.
    Black screen - white, green or orange letters.
    all commands have to be typed in.
    no mouse useabillity.

Watch out Your nearest SoftwareDiscount ->

Microsoft DOS 1.25 RELOADED
    "We try to bring back old and veteran customers"

I know MS will DRAW NEW CUSTOMERS with that s.h.i.t?

OMG - i´ts not me...

19. Mulch

Mulch Guest

20. Llewen

Llewen Grand Inquisitor
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Mar 3, 2006
    Ya, DOSBox is no joke, I've used it myself to run old favourite games.

As for the "bandwidth" comment, I think we need it clarified. I fail to understand how a game that was created in the days when dialup was king, and which at it's peak had at least twice as many active subscribers as it now has, can have real bits and bytes bandwidth issues today, so the comment must refer to simply the number of developer hours available, which is entirely understandable.