1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Banner Ads On Left Side Now?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Connor_Graham, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why are we getting banner ads on the left side of the screen now? How many banner ads per page is going to be enough? How many more before we can only see 1 post per page? This new one is a bit overboard if you ask me. I've got 3 of them on my screen as I'm looking at it now.

2. sirion

sirion Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

I'd rather have the ad under the first post, like a few days ago. Now with the banner on the left side, I have to scroll to further right side to read the posts. Please sir?

I promise I will remember to click the ads at least once a day. thank you uoss. :sad2:
    I promise I will remember to click the ads at least once a day. thank you uoss. :gee:
    I promise I will remember to click the ads at least once a day. thank you uoss. :lol:
    I promise I will remember to click the ads at least once a day. thank you uoss. :stretcher:

3. Cogniac

Cogniac Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Check http://uo.stratics.com. They widened the right column so they could fit in another annoying flash ad. They also stuck a horizontal flash banner across the top that actually obscures a large part of the title. That site is now "Stratics - Ultima O." Or even less, depending on your resolution.

Stay classy, Stratics.

4. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

5. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

I run 1280x1024 on a standard 17" LCD monitor at work. Yup - three ads but I do not have to scroll left/right as one person pointed out.

Also, the ads mean cash for Stratics to support these forums on the hardware, etc. If you want to not see them, use Firefox with that AdblockPlus add-on or something.

UPDATE: I ran FF at work without AdBlockPlus. I just installed it and only subscribed to the EasyList option available to me. Guess what? No ads displayed at all! All I need do is simply disable that list and I will see the ads again.

Firefox FTW

6. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I don't mind the banners much. Just when they tweak the display of the forum.

This banner, however, is a lot better than the big square one that horribly squished the display over.

7. Due to a recent move I'm playing and surfing on a Dell Mini with a 7" screen. I don't mind the ads at all, if they need them to keep the site operational, I can live with it.

8. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Guess I'm going to get a ads blocker, never used that before but this just to much.
    When we had Stratic Plus, I paid to get rid of the ads, I don't have that options now so only 2 options left for me.
    Give up stratics or get an ads blocker.
    This new ads at the side is 10 times more annoying than the one below the OP's post was.

9. Mapper

Mapper Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Stratics Plus would be very nice, I'd be willing to pay atleast 10 dollars a year to have no ads. :)

10. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Were there any other benefits to a plus membership?

11. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Yes there was a few, you could have more than one avatar and signatur to switch between or set them to random.
    Also you could chose a title below your avatar.
    Think there was a few more benefits but no ads was the best one.

12. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Gotcha. I could be persuaded to pay for these benefits.

13. Thunderz

Thunderz Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

If you use firefox [its much faster and nicer than IE] you can just right click the adds and select "block add" or "block frame".

Thunderz

14. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

there were some parts of the Hunters Guide that plus members could see/access but those are now part of the standard display. Anything other than that I couldn't tell you.

15. canary

canary Guest

I think the site looks lovely. :)

16. I think the site looks like an ad agency exploded.

17. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I honestly don't see why everyone is so upset over the ads. They're not that obtrusive, and they keep the site running. I'd rather look at a few banners if it means stratics keeps running.

18. In your opinion maybe. A full 1/3 of my screen is now ads.

19. Beer_Cayse

Beer_Cayse Guest

what resolution do you use? I've found that under 1280x1024 they do occupy a lot of territory.

20. Pawain

Pawain Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I like these ad placements better than before. The ads take up very little room on my monitor.

But, I would be annoyed if I had to scroll to see the posts.

21. JHall

JHall Guest

Every attempt has been made to keep them out of the way.
    If you're having to scroll you're using a resolution that is too low.

Try a higher resolution, I think you'll find browsing more exciting, you'll be able to see more on screen, and have more space/area to work with.

The current ads are far far far far far far far less intrusive than at any other major gaming website, and we are trying to keep them that way.

We will implement a Plus option again soon for those who would like to subscribe and rid themselves of ads forever.

I have previously mentioned that ad blockers only really serve to shoot yourself in the foot in the long term, you either A. entice marketing companies to come up with more innovative ways to reach you or B. put the website you're using out of business.

Trust me when I tell you the ad money raised from our new ad efforts is going directly into new development, tools, and site expansions that are going to make your life as a gamer that much better.

I'm going to lock this thread now as a measure to ensure anyone who reads it will see my post last.

I don't think there's much else to say on the topic so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you, and i really do appreciate and take into consideration each comment posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.