1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

[Feedback] Bard masteries very unimpressive

Discussion in 'UO Test Center' started by Crimson Crow, May 20, 2010.

1. Crimson Crow

Crimson Crow Guest

I just got on TC and tried out the new bard masteries, and I have to say, in their current state I don't think I'd ever use them seriously. Maybe I'd sometimes use Despair to kill a vampire bat or something, but the mana costs involved are quite prohibitive for all of the mastery abilities. To be seriously useful, they have to either be powerful enough to be worth blowing huge amounts of mana on, which they currently aren't, or capable of lasting significantly longer than they currently do (which would probably mean rebalancing them). As things stand, they're just not worth the mana as compared to supporting your party by healing/curing/blessing or attacking the enemy with traditional damage spells.

Also, the quests to get them? I have only one word for those, and that word is :lame:

2. AzSel

AzSel Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I do agree, for dmg its just better to stick to the usual mage spells and use less mana.

3. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

actually I think that these spells are really usefull if used in the right way. The main thing that everyone think is: "I take my bard with my new spells and I wandering alone". But this spells are designed for party uses, if you use it alone are almost useless (if you are a tamer is different).

4. Crimson Crow

Crimson Crow Guest

That's not what I was thinking. I was thinking that the benefits are sure to wear off long before any serious enemy is dead, meaning they help your party for a tiny fraction of the battle and then you're out of mana and can't heal/cure/res/whatever them. This issue is compounded by the fact that upkeep cost increases proportional to how many people are being affected, as if the base cost wasn't bad enough. Also, I'm pretty sure the effects don't apply to followers (pets and such).

5. Logrus

Logrus UO Legend
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Yes the effects apply to pets.
    LMC also applies to upkeep and cast cost.

See Bard forum for mana cost breakdown stats.

6. Tinsil

Tinsil Guest

Ew.. I was thinking these would be like passive, one-time cast things to use?

They actually take mana to cast and don't even last that long? :(

7. Pinco

Pinco UOEC Modder

IMHO are too powerfull for being a one time casting spell (like protection)

8. yars

yars Lore Keeper

yeah, im just not too crazy about support skills in general personally. i believe disco and peace are enough of that on there own.
    its also sounding a little complicated for something the seems hollow

9. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

Agreed on all points. I do understand the reasoning behind the quests though, considering that you'll have to do them repeatedly so they should be easy. The healer/rabbit quest is my least favorite as it's not easy to find rabbits and healers near each other.

10. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

cant you buy rabbits and then just have them follow you to a healer? (not in game but i thought you could buy rabbits)

11. yars

yars Lore Keeper

new haven has all targets you need for the quests, the rabbit healer one was very easy there. i managed to finish it without leaving one screen

12. Shelleybean

Shelleybean Certifiable

Great ideas Storm and yars. Felucca players don't have New Haven, so maybe buying the rabbits is a good option.

13. yars

yars Lore Keeper

how bout occollo?