1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Base Piece Crafting

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Gedgerez Tesherd, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Gedgerez Tesherd

Gedgerez Tesherd Journeyman

@ the Devs, I craft anywhere from 1000-10,000 armor pieces every few days. Let me show an example of this mind numbing task below.

Armor Crafting.JPG

To most this would be overkill, & a waste of game time, spending x hours daily & failing to reforge the mod you want, only to start again crafting for that specific resist combo :coco:.

Here is a simple menu representing a monumental load of weight being lifted off all armor crafting operations which can include the maximum resist combination values for each armor type & tool menu. It can also include a craft last button to receive the designated resist repeatedly, as well as a transparent background from the normal crafting menus.

Resistance Menu.JPG

I would like to know what feedback Kyronix, Bleak, or any dev whom has a crafting passion may think toward adding such options with each crafting tool menu.
    :drool:

CovenantX, Zynia and Crak Lord like this.
  2. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

@Gedgerez Tesherd One would hope they could do something like this when they FINALLY give us a Crafting update... But my heart hopes they wait with that to do the Taming update first.

Supposedly these sorts of things are on the "to do" list... that they keep talking about down the road in the future. I was hoping they were already working towards a crafting update for the upcoming new expansion... but who knows.

Gedgerez Tesherd likes this.
  3. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

Out of interest what are you trying to make? (The final piece).

Zynia likes this.
  4. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

really no need for this anymore. use 1 or 2 legendary resist pieces and resists arent an issue. would have been useful before shame loot but now crafting for base resists is kinda obsolete, i dont think it would be a good use of dev time now.

Scribbles likes this.
  5. StealYourFace

StealYourFace Journeyman

I can find base pieces for a Mage but I can't find crap for dexers. I still do a lot of reforging for dexers . What pisses me off is how many base pieces have high physical resist. It seems like 9 out of 10 pieces have physical and that sucks if your making sampire armor.

6. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

Then why don't we just do away with crafting all together ? We'll just all go out and farm legendary items and be done with it.

7. Smoot

Smoot Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

crafting is still great and highly useful for mods, just not for resists anymore as i see it. 1 high resist piece / legendary, even a "low grade" one that many people would throw away does wonders for a suit and makes crafting the base pieces around it not as a big deal as it was when reforged or imbued armor were the only things available.

8. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

@Gedgerez Tesherd No thank you, what's next, being able to say where all the mods go when we enhance or when we reforge. There needs to be some chance. When will all this INSTANCE GRATIFICATION ever end. Yes I have been a crafter from day one so please do not go there and I have been playing for 17 years too.

9. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend GoT

I agree, at 120 tailoring/smithing , any exceptional piece combined with a full set of other exceptional pieces should automatically produce an all 70s suit. It's unacceptable that a supposed Legendary craftsman, doesn't know that the piece he just created doesn't quite have enough fire resist or physical etc. It's just as stupid as a mage being able to summon a Fire Elemental by choice, but he can't create a damn apple when it's needed.

Gedgerez Tesherd and Vor like this.
  10. Crak Lord

Crak Lord Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Its a good idea i think but what do the dev,s think?

11. Maximus Neximus

Maximus Neximus Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran 4H

This is also a big pet peeve of mine. Spend way too much time trying to craft that "perfect" base piece just to see it break after enhancing. Then the time sink of crafting starts again...

I think something like this would be ok if you have 100 Arms Lore and 120 Tailoring/Smith or 100 Carpentry. But maybe only make it work for one resist to keep some randomness to it.

12. Gedgerez Tesherd

Each gear project I make usually has 10 stam & paired with different combinations of either 5hci, 5dci, hpi 7, or 10 mana.

The fail rate of reforging said combinations of 10 stam paired with either 5hci, 5dci, hpi 7, or 10 mana is upward to 95 to 98 percentile. Imagine with me how long it takes to make even 10 identical resist slots used to reforge 10 stam, and/or an extra over cap reforge mod. Put simply, the effort involved to craft identical base piece resists tied into the complexity of reforging is not worthwhile to most crafters. This is why I rarely see any such exceptional crafted gear combinations for sale. Nobody I know willingly wants to dump their time into endless base piece crafting when Legendary Artifact armor is available to repetitively farm Exodus, Corgul, Greater Dragons, Ancient Wyrms, Tmaps, or w/e other gear source conceivable.

From my perspective this menu is a harmless quality of life optimization that can only benefit us all with the end game & not a stepping stone to unravel any aspect of reforging itself, other than supplying the means to reforge said armor efficiently. Furthermore, I am satisfactory with referencing this resist menu as an option to assist those of whom may enjoy the freedom of choice to toggle, on & off at will. I too crafted since the start of UO during the likes of which 14 of those 17 years are obsolete prior to Publish 74 in comparison to the complexity of duo (2 mods, not just 1) overcap'd reforging. With crafting I go the extra mile in burning through 250+ hammers monthly, and the results are never pretty in terms of the time sink involved. Evidently some may not share my pain, and that is probably a good thing if you haven't experienced endless base piece crafting.

Thank you, all for reading/responding for better or worse. I appreciate the feedback from all of you, and will patiently wait for a response from our UO Devs if any would like to comment.

Zynia and DJAd like this.
  13. King Greg

King Greg Seasoned Veteran

Hmm.... Maybe it should be like Imbuing to an extent with increased difficulty the closer you get to the item.

Easiest way for the dev's to do this would be to add a new system to modify existing armor.

So, say 36 resists for a studded piece of armor (other than studded mempo)
    You get to pick the resists with that menu, never below the minimum, never above +12 of the min (Or whatever the coded max is).

at 120 skill you can craft the piece within 4 Resists of max at 100% (Remaining resists would be added at random)
    3 Resists at 80%
    2 Resists at 60%
    1 Resists at 40%
    Perfect at 20% Chance

I'm sure noone would complain about being able to craft the exact piece they want for a 20% chance vs making 10,000 of them.

14. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

So why would I pay outrages prices for pieces that now any crafter could make without fail. This would make pieces worthless if you get what you want, NO THANK YOU.

15. Gedgerez Tesherd

Not a problem Frodo, your point has been documented, thank you for your additional feedback. Would any UO Devs care to share their views on the menu concept?

16. King Greg

King Greg Seasoned Veteran

And make the items necessary to modify the armor purchasable from the Npcs for the armor as a gold sink.

17. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

I agree you should just be able to assign them on your own.