1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

BASEBALL - It's... It's a Swing and a Miss!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Sevin0oo0, May 19, 2012.

1. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Sometimes that's what I feel like I'm playing

While I'm not as skilled as the above and can only dream of missing 3-4 times, as mine is closer to 5-6. I can understand every swing shouldn't connect to provide combat realism, sometimes it's just plain irritating tho. I've had many times, in the midst of auto-attack, where I can cast a spell, Nature's Fury, and it hits before I do, How is this even possible?

I think it's also a Dev tactic where your ability to hit, or be hit, can be adjusted globally, how far is too far? Where there's certain RP aspects of using Heavy Metal (Lance, Hally, etc), there also exists the great whiff inhibitor factor. A near 5sec weap, and you miss 5 times in a row, many times only resulting in the player's death, and the player saying "Screw That Weapon", as it heads for the great Dust Pile in the Sky. It might be practical in certain aspects, regular gameplay is not one of them. Revenants come to mind, if I don't have a hit dispel weapon, I usually just take a nap until it goes away, not like I get anything if I kill it.
    Perhaps a slower weapon should inherit a HCI bonus?

I also think weapon mastery skills should be considered in a player's DCI. With tweaked out gear and template, how often should a mongbat, or similar, really hit - same % as Valorite or Frostwood? I'm just saying something seems askew in DC/HC for players and mobs alike.

EDIT: I totally forgot Archers! and I apologize for my selfish dexxer self

2. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

You thinking fencing and swords is bad you should try archery! I can't hit an Ogre really??????! at 120 skill with GM tactics and Anatomy I can't hit something the size of a Mack Truck?????? REALLY?

Sometimes I wonder if I could hit the broadside of a castle even.

And Archers only get to use half or less of specials from Bushido, Chivy and Ninjitsu.... Most the others won't work with Archery. So we get half the specials.... no way to disarm our opponents and we can't hit the broadside of a castle.

Daga Taga, Lord Frodo and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  3. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Ok... then I am not seeing things and thinking my poor Archer is bad..... i have a 120 and he cant hit the broad side of a barn! I thought I did something wrong with his template.

Daga Taga, Lord Frodo and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  4. Driven Insane

Let's assume you've got 45% HCI right?

Do you have Hit Lower Defense on your weapons/armor?

With the exception of top level bosses, I rarely ever miss.

5. Don't Tread on Me

Don't Tread on Me Lore Keeper
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

yeah, i agree, with max HCI and HLD my archer wrecks on mobs. i don't use him for such... but he does hit them most of the time. pvp... well, there are some people that just don't ever get hit... i'm not sure how they do that but i wish i had that good of defence!

6. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I think that is the problem though....Because of HCI & DCI, suddenly weapon and defensive skill don't matter as much as it use to. It's almost as if skills were nerfed to make room for buffs. Personally, i feel like it's way more difficult to train a skill up to 120 then it is to just add a few mods so skill should count for more.

Lord Frodo and Sevin0oo0 like this.
  7. Driven Insane

Suddenly?

HCI, DCI and HLD were added...what... 9 years ago. Might as well just plan on having 45% HCI and at least 30% HLD on any dexxer/archer char.

8. Don't Tread on Me

Don't Tread on Me Lore Keeper
    Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

No, i don't think so. Without the 120 skill, the hci and dci are basically worthless. when i'm fighting in stat, any dexxer can wreck me in 2 seconds flat if i'm not in a group. and my hits are 1 in a million! HCI and DCI just add to, not overpower weapon skill, i wouldn't say it makes your weapon skill worthless at all! it's just another thing you have to have to be competative (like 2/6 casting).

9. LordDrago

LordDrago Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

My swordsman is a confirmed major comtributor to localized high wind phenomena.

10. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Yes I have 50% HCI and HLD... and all that stuff can't hit the broadside of a castle.

11. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Mongbat frozen in a para field, Whiff! Whiff! Field times out, it turns and looks at you, :loser:. Quite insulting.

12. Driven Insane

Well I don't know what to tell you guys. If you truely have 120 weapon skill, 45% HCI and at least 30% HLD and still can't hit the broad side of a barn, there's not much else you can do.

I'm just speaking from my personal experience that with the above mentioned 120 skill and mods I rarely miss more than 1 time even against the top level bosses.

Don't Tread on Me likes this.
  13. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I think there may be some unseen buff on monsters that makes us miss or perhaps its on the fighter. Oddly enough, one monster that i seem to hit without much failure is the lizardman archers in wrong. Perhaps we should look at them compared to earth eles and mudpies (shame) and see if there is some unseen skill that one has over the other.

14. Sauteed Onion

Make a mage :D

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  15. temu

temu Lore Keeper

I used to play a sampire and did navrey, dreadhorn, parox, etc. When you're fighting big nasty stuff, missing means dying. So I found myself spamming lightning strike. Lightning striking all day , errrrday. So work that bushido , bind a key to lightning strike and spam away!

16. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

RNG is a myth. Even in the crafting and imbuing world we have seen the 1% that comes up 4x in a row followed by a 3%. They sat down with some D&D %dice and recorded a long list of numbers. The random number grouping is random where you get dumped into the list. Sure they giggled like little girls when they penned in the low % grouping of numbers. Found with enhancing if I want something special not to break. Would enhance bunch of easy crap looking for low % grouping. The second number after the grouping of 5 was a sure fire no fail enhancement. Why load of armor I have, imbuing could not replace still. Reforging is another story. Ya I played UO way to much after I retired. Grind long enough and you can have short conversations with the ghost in the machine/code.

Still poor with the local gas station lotto machine using the same random number generator code that is in UO. And that ball machine on TV live is CG controlled, swear. If UO had a ball machine with 5 red wiff balls and 95 hit. Monbat combat would still have every other day a wiff,wiff,wiff. Think the facebook guy has just as many crappy days as the rest of us? Just takes larger crap piles before he notices now.

hungry4knowhow likes this.
  17. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

oops, sorry, forgot about them too! "The Fizzle Factor" Probably didn't make you feel any better when Chivalry got a 100% success chance at 115 skill and higher, did it? I think that was Proof that Devs recognized that players were fed up and wouldn't readily take to yet another iffy casting method, altho at less than GM, even it is very failure prone I think.
    Trying to compensate for itemization by cheapening skills, not smart, imo.

18. Lorax_Pacific

Lorax_Pacific Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

In Publish 69 the ranged weapons HLA was fixed to a 7 second duration and HLD fixed to a 5 second duration. If you have 30% HLD then you will typically swing/shoot four times to get HLD to take affect with an archer. Typically archers will only get two hit chances where the target HLD affect remains to take advantage of the decrease in DCI of the target. I think without a 50% HLD an archer would rarely get the advantage of an actual hit during a decrease of DCI condition on the target.

Given: SSI 55 and stamina above 150
    HLD affect
    delay
    chance to hit or miss (all bows)
    delay
    delay
    chance to hit or miss (heavy, crossbow, yumi are too slow for another swing under HLD affect)

Given: SSI 40 and stamina above 150
    HLD affect
    delay
    delay
    chance to hit or miss (heavy too slow)
    delay
    chance to hit or miss (heavy, crossbow, yumi, and bow are too slow for another swing under HLD affect)

Given: SSI 40 and stamina above 120
    HLD affect
    delay
    delay
    chance to hit or miss (heavy, crossbow, yumi, too slow)
    delay
    chance to hit or miss (heavy, crossbow, yumi, bow, composite, and longbow are too slow for another swing under HLD affect)

Given: SSI 40 and stamina above 90
    Only composite, longbow, shortbow, and repeater can get at least 2 hit chances during the proc affect.

-Lorax

19. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I was actually shocked how often i fizzled on 8th circle spells at 110 skill. I don't think i wanna take magery to 120 but is there a chart somewhere that shows your % to cast 8th circle spells at certain skill levels?

20. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Calculator here: at 120 it goes to 100% - I feel GM should equal 100 with >GM offering greater damage, protection or duration
    UO Stratics - Magic: Magery

Redxpanda likes this.
  21. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Thanks! Perhaps they should have introduced a 9th circle with the increased magery instead of creating so many new skills. How many of those spells do you actually use anyhow.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  22. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot

There is nothing to tell anyone that inept or clueless.

If you have even 2 months worth of UO experience and average gear you will have no issues at all hitting anything or any boss.

Its not an accuracy issue. Its a drama issue. "OMG!, I just whiffed 3x times and almost died to an unbound!
    Devs please change the entire mechanics of the game or I quit!"

23. Sevin0oo0

Sevin0oo0 Guest

Here's a practical example...

Hit
    swing delay
    Whiff - 1
    swing delay
    Whiff - 2
    swing delay
    Whiff - 3
    swing delay
    Hit - or Dead? -> If only 3 times, this can be 17-18 seconds of doing nothing

perhaps SS should be ignored if a miss? I don't know, it doesn't make people quit, it makes them Dead. It makes them quit using that weapon.
    Run up to a greater dragon, unbound, fire daemon, just stand there 18 seconds while being dumped on, Drama?

24. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Was just testing out the void pool. Apparently, those monsters also have the magical shield on them where you cant seem to hit them successfully.

1st monster: Miss-Miss-Miss (summoned pet kills it)
    2nd monster: Miss-Miss-Miss-Hit (yay) by then i already have like 5 monsters already landing successful blows on me and have to try to dig my way out of this hole.

120 fencing
    110 Tactics
    28% HCI

I know i can have 45% but c'mon, 6 misses in a row with 120 Fencing and 110 Tactics alone? Meanwhile, my non fighting mule can land a boomerang on a toxic slith about 50% of the time with his gargoyle inherited skill and 14% hci mage weapon.

Something is seriously wrong with that

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  25. Driven Insane

You do know Tactics has nothing at all do to with your chance to hit. Just saying cause this is the 2nd time you've brought it up.

120 Magery?

26. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah i know about the tactics but im old and superstitious like that hehe.

My mule has 80 something magery with the -20 its in the 60s

27. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Can we get some clarification from a dev on whats going on here? Many people with 120 weapon skill and 45 HCI are reporting the same difficulties. We are not asking for much here...Just want to be able to survive with weapons. I get the strangest feeling that this is their answer to sampires but they are hurting the people who lack the skill points to pull off that template.

We don't all play sammies, tamers and mages ya know so every swing is a swing that can keep us in the fight. Working your skill to the max and adding buffs only to miss constantly in PVM is a tragedy. I think it's important to fix whats broken instead of adding more things to the game.

Your AI is not really that intelligent if it has to break the rules of combat to succeed.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.
  28. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Most casting skills = minimum skill required +40.0 for 100% success rate, except Spell-weaving & Chivalry in which case its +50.0 above minimum skill.
    I'm not completely sure about mysticism but I think it's 40.0 above minimum required skill. [I've not messed with a mystic much, and I do not care to play one.]

Magery at 120 - you can't fizzle casting magery spells. unless you're hit and interrupted.

29. Redxpanda

Redxpanda Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I noticed recently: It seems to be more monster(s) based. I can hit the lizardmen defenders almost all the time. When we went against Cora, i don't think i missed 1 time. It just seems to be certain monsters that have something on them causing people to miss. Oddly enough, the lizardmen squatters have this on them. I missed like 6X in a row while fighting 2 of em.

Sevin0oo0 likes this.