1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Before we Curse ea, let's ask how many online games are still around after 12 years

Discussion in 'UHall' started by ACB1961, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I believe that answer is 1.

Thank you guys for actually giving us some great content year after year as long as we went to normal school from the 1st to 12th grades.

I still have the first item I got (some oil for a lamp). I mean wow, I know its virtual, but its been 12 freaking years, and it would still work. I still live in a keep I bought 12 years ago. I've been there so long the floors feel solid to me when I walk on them.

Let's give the dev team some love for still being here.

You guys rock!!! :danceb:

2. slavoie

slavoie Guest

Re: Before we Curse ea, let's ask how many online games are still around after 12 yea

Agreed,

blah this blah that

I want, this sucks, cant believe you patched tonight....

Thank you UO team for making this game last as long as it has!!

Here's to 12 more years.

3. Ender

Ender Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

Re: Before we Curse ea, let's ask how many online games are still around after 12 yea

Content year after year? Um. Are we playing the same UO?

4. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

The Realm, launched 1995, still active

my account is not original, but it's pretty old ;)

5. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Seriously?

I've never heard of that game, but that's ok I think you're getting my point.

So, we're up to 2

6. The Fallout

The Fallout Guest

Apparently not.

7. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

Not sure what you mean. Folks who have been gone a year have a lot to catch up on.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

If you are referring to expansions, yes, it kinda stopped between ML and SA.

But content isn't just expansions. Destruction of Magincia, Rebuilding Magincia, Legacy Dungeon arties, Book of Truth, Candle of Love, Mooglow invasion, Dread warhorses etc are all content.

Then there's Gardening enhancements, Runic enhancements, BOD enhancements, Doom enhancements etc

9. Lord Frodo

Lord Frodo Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

You are right it is an online game but nothing like UO. 1st it is a MUD and 2nd it is turn based.

10. THP

THP Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

UO is the ''daddy'' of multi player online games [end]

UO rocks...

See u all on the 15th anniversary...then the 20th...etc etc etc

11. Viper09

Viper09 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Indeed!
    There's a reason we still play. :p

12. Mil

Mil Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Jupp agreed.
    I played The Realm before UO got released. :)

13. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

I still curse them. UO started as a world, now it's just a game. Events are scripted "take me to the shinies" events with poor implementation that hasn't evolved at all.

UO could be much more than it is, and that is the shame.

But I don't blame the developers or EA alone. Lots of blame goes to the players. Selfish to an extreme. It is they who won't allow UO or any other MMO to surpass the "it's only a game" phase. It is they who won't accept more than gamey "give me" content.

And yeah, by those players, I guess I mean you players, with rare exceptions. But I'm OK with that, I'm by far in the minority. Just sayin'.

14. Mitzlplik_SP

Mitzlplik_SP Guest

Yup, GJ and TY to The powers that be.

What other game could survive the years with so little thrown at it? NONE.

Even when there was no additions for awhile peaple still played it. Complaining the whole time,but they still logged in. Could anyone see WoW staying plugged in w/o any xpacs for 4 years? DAoC?,WaR? Etc,etc.Any of those eye candy shallow depth games would be dead as a door nail in short order.I`m suprised other companies haven`t figured it out yet. A great game need more than just pixel crack.Anyone can make a game that relies on the need to add new stuff to keep your attention. Those kind of games are everywhere.

Theres something grand about UO that has been proving doomsayers wrong for 10+ years.

In the words of Limp Bizkit "Keep on rollin baby" :party:

15. Spelosty

Spelosty Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

Woo, Uo Rocks!

16. Taylor

Taylor Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
    Professional VIP Stratics Veteran Supporter Alumni Campaign Benefactor Alumni

QFT.

17. Zyron

Zyron Guest

I really dont complain about much on the game..
    I congratulate the Dev team for being so l33t

the only bad thing i saw with SA was not being able to make it available in places outside of North America/US